Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound weird, but I wanted to check how bad my thermostat looked, and I found that there is not one there right now, and I followed the article on how to change the thermostat so i know where it is. I bought this car used so I don't know what do to. The teg runs great, but does take about 15 minutes to warm up good. Could the thermostat that should be there be causing my car to not warm up properly? What are the future problems w/o a thermostat? I tried doing a search but nothing turned up, any comments will help

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
wow...no thermostat! that's probably why it takes your car forever to warm up because the coolant is just flowing over and over without it reaching the right temp level before it allows the thermostat to open...use the DIY for the thermostat install...if's pretty straight foward and doesn't take a rocket scientist to do...as far as future probs, i'm not sure? good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I read this once on an article pertaining to my truck, I'm pretty sure its consistent throughout the internal combustion spectrum. I hear that its actually pretty important to run the correct thermostat in a car because if it runs at too cold of a temp, then a coating forms in the cylinder walls and robs performance and causes the engine to age more quickly. There is a ratio for every few degrees, but i cant remember now.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
It could, my friend's Civic didn't have the thermostat (previous owner probably messed it up), he was so cold in winter haha... have nearly no heat at all. But he fixed it by putting an OEM thermostat back in now.

Just go to the dealer and get an OEM one. OEM one is very good, it has the fail-safe mechanism in it too! I made a mistake by getting a cheap stat... :(
*didn't know such thing as fail-safe before*

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just bought a new new OEM thermostat toda and am putting it in tomorrow. Now I wont have to freeze during my morning commute. As a new member, this site has helped alot, thanks alot guys

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
yea get it replaced... i used to not have a thermostat on my older car (toyota) and boy.. i had to dress well when i drove during winter coz heater didnt heatup right.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I would definatly get a thermostat in your car. If you want a better one for performance I think they sell those too.

I don't know the name so if someone does can you post it for him?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only reason I can think of for not having a thermostat is the person before you might have had a problem with the car overheating... I just put a new OEM thermostat in my car and it works great!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Make sure you get the OEM rubber gasket so you don't have to jack with that goopy crap. Also with the rubber one you'll be guarenteed to put the thermo in correctly. You'll probably have to go to an Acura dealer for it though. None of the parts stores around here had one when I replaced mine. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
My95Teggy on Feb/06/04 said:
Make sure you get the OEM rubber gasket so you don't have to jack with that goopy crap. Also with the rubber one you'll be guarenteed to put the thermo in correctly. You'll probably have to go to an Acura dealer for it though. None of the parts stores around here had one when I replaced mine. Good Luck
MY PARTS STORE SELLS THEM!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Pep boys has them i just bought one yesterday and i am installing my new thermostat tonight because the old one was stuck open, they also have the rubber gasket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm finally done, it took me two hours! Those bolts didn't want to come off at all...Now my car takes half the time to warm up and the heater actually works. thanks again for the comments and help!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
let me guess. you are not the original ownero fyour teg?

my guess is that the car was over-heating on day from a bad thermostat and the owner rather than shelling out 8 bucks just yanked the old broken one out. this will be ok for when the engine is already warn, but from a cold start stand point it is very bad.

i hate sh!t like that on used cars where the previous owner could have spent a few dollars and saved the next owner thousands.

but yeah, get the correct O.E. temp thermostat and a new gasket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
95Teggy, i did find the rubber gaskets at the acura dealership. It wasnt that expensive. I think they charged me 3 or 8 $. TegorDie, ya I bought it from a chick for 4k. I knew it was a good buy. It only had 80k whe nI bought it. Now that i think about it, i should have sold it for 6,500 and got a 2dr ls thats stick. driving a 4dr w/ auto sucks now. She sold it b/c she bought a mercedes M320. anyway, she must have taken the thermostat out. Ya, but all went well in the end. go to the meet in TI!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts