Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all other manual car integs have it but mine did not come with one. anyone else get a teg that didnt come with a rev limiter

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
How do you know it doesn't have a rev limiter?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Fast Asleep on Aug/20/02 said:
Mine kicks in about 1-200 rpm after redline. Not the coolest thing to go looking for. Its a 99 GS-R

Drew
You hit your rev limiter Drew? Nooooo, you're kidding

·
Registered
702 Posts
Believe it or not I've been in a few situations where I wasn't planning on shifting to second and the rpm's just shot up faster than I thought. It only happened once.

BTW I spell "a couple times" like this ---> o-n-c-e

Drew

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
It did, lol!!!

I still can't get over it though, I didn't think you'd do something like that...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
gotsomerevs on Aug/20/02 said:
it doesnt hurt your car to hit the rev governor, it keeps it from getting hurt
Oh my...please tell me I'm seeing things...It doesn't hurt? Do you know what happens when you hit the rev limiter/fuel cutoff??? We've been down this alley a lot of times...when you hit the rev limiter/fuel cutoff, you are creating a VERY LEAN situation on the engine. VERY bad...If you continously bounce off the rev limiter/fuel cutoff like it's a trampoline, it WILL result in SEVERE internal damage...

·
Registered
702 Posts
I didn't say it hurt the car, but its not a good idea. You're probably going to start a "discussion" over the severity because its been discussed 1000's of times before and never really settled. It "can" lead to detonation if there was any fuel or unburnt gases left in the cylinder before the cut-off stepped in, but it doesn't always happen that way. I would rather avoid the limiter than hit it, nuff said.

Drew

·
Registered
12 Posts
My teg does not have a rev limiter- i can rev up to 10, 000 rpms if i want! Although i wouldn't dream of doing that with stock internals. Im from NZ and Honda NZ said Integra VTi-R's (same spec as US GSR's) can rev happily up to 9000 rpm. The reason i don't have a rev limiter is because i installed an after market ECU from Gizzmo technologies so maybe ur car ECU isn't factory spec?? When does ur VTEC kick in? If it kicks in at a different rev number than factory spec GSR's (5700 i think) then its deffinetly got an aftermarket ECU. My VTEC kicks in at 4700 with my new ECU.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
boec on Aug/20/02 said:
My teg does not have a rev limiter- i can rev up to 10, 000 rpms if i want! Although i wouldn't dream of doing that with stock internals. Im from NZ and Honda NZ said Integra VTi-R's (same spec as US GSR's) can rev happily up to 9000 rpm. The reason i don't have a rev limiter is because i installed an after market ECU from Gizzmo technologies so maybe ur car ECU isn't factory spec?? When does ur VTEC kick in? If it kicks in at a different rev number than factory spec GSR's (5700 i think) then its deffinetly got an aftermarket ECU. My VTEC kicks in at 4700 with my new ECU.
VTEC engages at 4400 RPM's in a GSR. Thats in the articles if you don't believe me. And no, your car cannot "rev happily" up to 9,000 RPM's. After 8100, it isn't so "happy."

Here's some threads on hitting that rev limiter including some posts from MD, who I'm sure is reading this and laughing at all of you people saying it's "ok" to hit the rev limiter because it doesn't hurt your car.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=7&TopicID=7782 <---Second page on that link.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=10&TopicID=7399 <----End of 2nd page and beginning of third on that one.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Fast Asleep on Aug/20/02 said:
Believe it or not I've been in a few situations where I wasn't planning on shifting to second and the rpm's just shot up faster than I thought. It only happened once.

Drew
If you downshift, you won't hit the rev limiter. Not sure if that is what you meant - but the rev limiter will not help with a wayward downshift.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Not what I meant, I was referring to an autocross event where I stayed in first gear the entire lap and hit the limiter across the finish line. It was kind of an inside joke with Justin. Looks like you're in on it too.

Drew

·
Registered
359 Posts
carcrazy2 on Aug/20/02 said:
Quote: Fast Asleep on Aug/20/02Believe it or not I've been in a few situations where I wasn't planning on shifting to second and the rpm's just shot up faster than I thought. It only happened once.

Drew
If you downshift, you won't hit the rev limiter. Not sure if that is what you meant - but the rev limiter will not help with a wayward downshift.

[/quote]

since when does downshifting prevent you from hitting the rev limiter?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Since the beginning of the Teg. If you go from 5 to 4 and accidentally go from 5 to 2, the rev limiter WILL NOT save you...

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well there are a lot of Celica owners (and some RSX owners, too) who can tell you about downshifting at high speeds into low gears. Last year there were a BUNCH of GT-S's with blown engines b/c their owners misshifted. I believe Toyota even stopped selling the GT-S for awhile. (Notchy shifters might not have helped.)

If the rev limiter could help, you would never have to worry about a blown engine......unfortunately, such is NOT the case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts