Team Integra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the article on removing the g3 power steering I figured I'd give it a try and see if I noticed anything. Well I did. It wasn't too drastic of a difference but definitely an increase in bottom end power. The main concern I had before removing the belt was the difficulty in steering, but the only time that it's even noticeable is when you are turning at a very low speed. I figured I’d post to help anyone who is considering this little procedure, I would say it’s worth it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
In Reply To Version 4 User:
After reading the article on removing the g3 power steering I figured I'd give it a try and see if I noticed anything. Well I did. It wasn't too drastic of a difference but definitely an increase in bottom end power. The main concern I had before removing the belt was the difficulty in steering, but the only time that it's even noticeable is when you are turning at a very low speed. I figured I’d post to help anyone who is considering this little procedure, I would say it’s worth it.       Did you just remove the belt ?  That's only part of removing your P/S.  I have completely ditched mine.  Went to a single belt crank pulley, took all P/S lines, pumps you name it.  Drained the rack.  The only thing that I have not done is replace my rack with a non-P/S one.  I haven't decided yet.    But, anyways, glad you are happy with the results so far.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I removed the belt. Ain't feel sh*t for power. My butt dyno sucks
. Honestly, how much power do you recover on the dyno by removing power steering? All I read is that you are just relieving some stress on your motor, which may prolong life in the long run, but won't net you much power gains.

If you are going to remove PS forever, I would remove the pump, brackets, resovoir and lines too and just do whatever it is you have to do to the steering rack for some good ole' weight reduction.

Good way to build up some muscles.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
timpac167 on Feb/26/04 said:
I removed the belt. Ain't feel sh*t for power. My butt dyno sucks
. Honestly, how much power do you recover on the dyno by removing power steering? All I read is that you are just relieving some stress on your motor, which may prolong life in the long run, but won't net you much power gains.

If you are going to remove PS forever, I would remove the pump, brackets, resovoir and lines too and just do whatever it is you have to do to the steering rack for some good ole' weight reduction.

Good way to build up some muscles.
relieving stress from a motor allows it to make more HP.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ScreaminTeg on Feb/26/04 said:
[relieving stress from a motor allows it to make more HP.
Yea, the first thing I noticed when I stared the car was that the idle shot up to a little over 2k, after a few seconds of idling it went back down. I'm guessing that it had to do with lack of stress that used to be put on by the p/s pump.

·
Registered
798 Posts
well i had no choice to remove my powersteering since that mess started to make noises... there is a difference... for my car its a big diff.. feels like it pulls stronger... more torque. when i had the p/s on it would just rev high and go no where. no i can rev hi and it will pull a bit... but damn parallel parkin is a biotch. but you get mad cuts in your forearm haha. i personally love the no p/s... i did it to both my civic and integra... pulls more

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
guitar1550 on Feb/26/04 said:
good for 2-3 whp across the board
which translates to "hardly noticeable" at the strip.

thanks for bringing everyone back to reality.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble here but this is nice for dyno plots so you can get that extra 2 whp but please don't delude yourself into thinking this is a major benefit. for the hassle it creates you can look elsewhere for gains.

secondly we've covered this ground like a wet mop already in this 3 page old thread.

and here...

and here...

and here...

and here....

thanks for sharing your experience but it's nothing no-one hasn't already tried and talked about and we aren't getting new info...so let's move on to bigger and better things here shall we please?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Isn't removing the power steering belt harmful to something involved with steering anyhow??? I mean isn't there added stress to the mechanics of it all since you are pushing power steering fluid in/out of the power cylinder along with steering? Isn't that why manual rack and pinions are mechanically different than power steering setups?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.