Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my girlfriend's 94' GS-R died couple days ago and wouldn't start. It is due to the electrical problem.

I unplug one of the spark plug wires, made one end of the screwdriver to touch the spark plug wire, put the other end close to the engine surface without touching the engine. then she turned the key and tried to start the car. there is no sparks between the screwdriver and the engine.

sorry if it is hard to understand, as i am trying to figure out how to fix the car..

the battery is fine, so is the starter. anyone knows how the fix it??

thanks for looking

·
Registered
296 Posts
ICM could be your problem or the coil. I just had to replace my Ignition control module because it was doing the same thing.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I pulled this from a previous thread:

booley on Feb/28/04 said:
if the battery is strong enough to spin the engine, then you either have no spark delivery or no fuel delivery. pull any plugwire and crank engine to see if you have spark. if you don't get an arc, then it's ignition related(coil, igniter, etc.) you could spray a small shot of ether(starting fluid)in intake to see if car fires, then stalls. if that happens, then it's fuel delivery(fuel pump,clogged filter, etc.) you don't have to pull valve cover to check timing belt, just pull the distributor cap, if rotor doesn't spin when you crank engine, that would be a good indication....

But I have no way of giving validity to that statement, it was simply something I found out that I thought might possibly help you out.

- Josh

·
Registered
183 Posts
its either ur ignitor or distributor, dissassemble the distributor and look for wear inside it, then if that aint it it probably is the ignitor....

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
theres to many variables to tell you what could be wrong with it, cause alot of stuff could make it do that.

i have a stock coil here at the house if you need to buy one cheap

·
Registered
448 Posts
my sister is having a similar problem except after the 15th time of trying to start, it will start and run fine. so it will start if you try long enough, but every other day she will have the problem of it turning fine but not starting. so would it be the Ignitor, the coil, or what?

·
Registered
39 Posts
The coil and the ignitor can both cause the same problem. I can't give you an exact price quote on each part, but each one is at least 100 bucks or more. I installed an MSD ignition on my car which puts a heavy duty coil outside of the distributor. This usually solves the coil failure problem. The ignitor is also inside the coil and it also causes loss of spark. There is no way around it, It sucks when this happens. For some people it is easier to go to a salvage yard and buy a used distributor with all the parts already in place. The problem with this is you are getting a used coil and ignitor and they could go bad tomarrow.

·
Registered
448 Posts
yeah thats what I thought but if the coil or ignitor was bad would it still run fine once she is able to get it started? wouldnt it run weird if she had that big of a problem starting in the first place?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the car died when she was taking off at the red light, and she couldn't get the car started ever since.

i am going to take the coil off my 99' LS and put on her car to see if that was the problem. if not, then i will try the ignitor.

if both fail, then....... what should do next??? :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts