Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if I was to remove my catalytic converter. What are the pros and cons of me doin that

·
Registered
569 Posts
from what i know is that your car will sound loud as hell but if you have a 96 and up your car will not run if you remove the catalytic converter

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
A straight pipe does not outperform a good high flow cat. Running open header is even worse than a straight pipe as it kills exhaust gas exit velocity too soon. You may gain a couple HP over the stock cat though, but with the side effects of your car throwing black smoke at WOT, emitting the most horrible noise you can imagine, smelling like rotten eggs, and some exhaust gasses entering the cabin from the shifter. That'll impress the ladies for sure especially after they feel the power of your earth shattering 3HP gain...

I'm not a fan of open header on the street in case you couldn't tell

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
SurferX on Jul/31/02 said:
with the side effects of your car throwing black smoke at WOT, emitting the most horrible noise you can imagine, smelling like rotten eggs, and some exhaust gasses entering the cabin from the shifter. That'll impress the ladies for sure especially after they feel the power of your earth shattering 3HP gain...

I'm not a fan of open header on the street in case you couldn't tell
lol i think that is one of the best answers to a question i have ever seen on here.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
or you can also get one from Dave S. with SMSP. Just drop him a private message.

He is a member on this board.
username: SMSP

·
Registered
98 Posts
I piss on those dogs who don't own cats.

Please buy a cat, we all need to breathe dammit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
95integra on Jul/31/02 said:
from what i know is that your car will sound loud as hell but if you have a 96 and up your car will not run if you remove the catalytic converter
Wait a minute, I have a 96 and up, and I dont have a cat and my car runs just fine....Im confused.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
oldtrashy on Jul/31/02 said:
Quote: 95integra on Jul/31/02

Wait a minute, I have a 96 and up, and I dont have a cat and my car runs just fine....Im confused.
you don't have a check engine light? well, if you do, that's why

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh, we put a hole for the o2 sensor in the straight pipe. I thought he meant your car wouldn't start at all.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Con: you'd be an irresponsible a-hole! Dude, go to San Diego, walk to the end of a pier (I don't care which one) and enjoy the freaking smog! Nasty! Who the hell wants to contribute to that? Get a high flow cat, that way you'll be able to sleep at night...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOLi live in FL. though and we dont do emissions anymore, but ill take your word for it anyway

·
Registered
890 Posts
Okay here's the deal with the 02 sensor on an obdII car(1996+,) as it hasbeen explained to me. (I had to design a similar device in tech school, except we used ours to measure heat by way of voltage.)

We start with how the 02 sensor reads, it changes resistance as the exhaust gass passes it. To make a different voltage, (the sensor output to you ECM,) the sensor has to read heat and ground the signal properly. If you've ever seen an electronic air/fuel gauge this is really whats happening. at idle/and low throttle (in town driving.) The car doesn't make enough heat to continue giving the same reading. that's why they strobe back and forth. At Wide Open Throttle (WOT,) The typical car reads .88-.94v varying on what octane/timing/etc.

The rear o2 sensor is for makign a long term fuel trim (part of the adaptive process of OBDII.) Well your ECM knows that it isn't supposed to be a 0 reading (disconnected,) so it throws a code. Well if you weld in a bung for the 02 sensor after a straight pipe, its the opposite end of the spectrum. At WOT the sensor gets too hot makign a higher then normal reading, after the ecm determines it isnt' safe you car then throughs a code causing a check engine light. Usually cars start runnign extremely rich while in this mode. (if you run too rich the car's Exhaust Gas temp is lowered, menaing the ECM is beleiveing its protecting the engine.

I know alot of people who gut their cat, adn etc. but the fact is they may not be doing themselves a world of difference. Most people I know whohave done sop, don't last logn before its back on. The other downfall is you may be making all of 3 HP up top, but that's peak, what did you loose in the low end. if you dont' start pulling in the bottom end hard, odds are youaren't goign to catch up. I told this to a local civic b16 w/v-tech, IHE, lowered etc, no cat. my car which ran a 15.60 at the time ripped him a new one, keep in mind I'm an automatic RS. He was the second person in my town to buy a High flow cat, i was the first I didn't know it would have slowed me down until I put one back on and noticed a better 60'time on all the time slips I had before and after.

(I know its hard to understadn but I'm trying to write better.)

·
Registered
392 Posts
dont remove cat because it wont make much of a difference. your ecu will still think there is a cat down there and airflow will still be pretty much the same as if there was a cat. if u remove your cat u must reprogram your ecu and tell it theres no cat down there.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
EV4530 on Jul/31/02 said:
What if I was to remove my catalytic converter. What are the pros and cons of me doin that
Pro: Slightly higher flow than a quality aftermarket cat (i.e. Carsound) when compared to the OEM cat.

Con: Contributing to this....

NOTE: I don't exactly hug trees, but I have seen Phoenix, LA, and other cities on a brown day. Not pleasant knowing that I am breathing that very air.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts