Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to go up through the nasa hpde's, my question is are cars with no abs setups okay to compete with in roadracing and auto-x, and just generally on the track. If they are, what are you guys doing to make it more manageable. Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cars without ABS certainly are ok for roadracing and autoX. As a matter of fact there are alot of guys with track cars that will disconnect thier ABS because they find they can break deeper without it.
The best way to deal with not having ABS is to master threshold breaking. This is the "art" of feeling when your wheels are about to lock and maintaining that pressure w/o locking. Good pads are helpful.
Another critical point to consider is the type of racing you are doing. If your running autoX you don't want a pad that needs to be heated up. If you are running on rd. courses you want a pad that'll have high heat tolerances and sloted and or drilled rotors.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
<-- has locked up his brakes at least a few times at ggman.

And the hell that is michigan winters has allowed me to learn my own "manual abs" method.

So nope, no need for abs. If you do lock your brakes, pull the tips of your toes backwards. It will cause you to let up on the pedal pressure very slightly, and should be enough to unlock the brakes and still apply enough pressure to slow you down.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
No-ABS is fine, just threshold brake and be smooth with it. In other words, don't slam on the brakes (that will encourage the tires to break traction); start with a little brake pressure and then rapidly, but gradually, increase the pressure on the brake pedal up until just before you lock the tires up. You lose about 30% of your stopping power when you lock the tires up, so avoid doing that.

The difference on cars with ABS is that when you have given it too much brake and broken traction, you'll get some feedback through the pedal, it wont flat spot the tires, and you'll have better control of the car (as opposed to skidding with no steering control). But ABS does not do threshold braking for you, so it wont make a difference to you if you threshold brake properly.

However, for some reason, it seems easier to lock up the wheels on a car without ABS or when ABS is disabled, even when the same amount of brake pressure would not cause ABS to activate. I don't know what's up with that, and maybe it's all in my head, but it just seems to take some getting used to.

·
Registered
594 Posts
midwesta on Mar/03/04 said:
ive heard of a way to turn off you ABS is to drive around with the ebrake on a little for a bit while braking and the ABS light will pop on and the abs is basically shut off, is this true?
Yes true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.