Team Integra Forums banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
An update about my GSR, it's been a few years since I've last written on this thread and it's been a shame since I'm always lurking the forums all the time. The car largely sat the last few years while I was off finishing school, I can't believe I first was building this up from the shell when I was 18 with Meltman, and now I'm 23. I'm trying to retrieve my old photos to fill into this build wherever I can because my imageshack account from that time has taken a **** on me. But for now here are some verbal updates:

-The salvage title was a HUGE pain in the ass to get into a rebuilt title, so there was lots of paper work and mailing back and forth to the state and paying lots of fees to an insurance company, getting a rebuilder to endorse my build on paper, tax fees, processing fee, titling fee, plates, and city sticker. (hundreds of dollars)
-I paid a crap ton of money, as in $150 a month when I first brought the car home for a year for this parking spot that I never really even used, I just wanted the car to be protected as I couldn't park it on the street in the city at the time. ($1800 total)
-At one point my ignition coil went out, so I just bought a $85 generic distributor from eBay to swap in, it started up perfectly.
-My hood latch rusted up and wouldn't open after the horrible winter of 2014, so I had to slam on the hood to get it opened and cut the hook with a reciprocating saw, open the hood and replace the hood latch. ($30)
-I can't forget all the batteries I've had to exchange to autozone under warranty whenever they went flat and wouldn't recharge. ($130ish?)
-Remember when I had to redo my brake line? Well about 2 weeks ago I had the other brake line pop on me and it was pouring out brake fluid, rather than trying to fix it, I drove it to the shop with no brake pedal and only a hand brake, IN THE CITY OF CHICAGO almost hitting a few people going 5mph in first gear down the street to the shop. That got fixed for a cool hundred dollars.
-I took my car to the shop, and they wouldn't do an alignment for me because my tires were too far gone, so I bought Yokohoma S Drives for $380 and got them mounted, the sizing is 205-45-16.
-Rusty ABS sensor bolts, **** them! Way too much time and money put into the whole process over the course of several weeks from breaking them trying to replace them myself to driving the car to the shop to have them remove the broken bolts. Then me trying to clean the ABS sensors and reinstalling them and resetting the code like some article on this site says it's so easy to do. It definitely didn't work for me.

As for right now, I am working on fixing my sticky door locks that don't always lock and unlock when I use the key from the outside, or use the electronic switch on the door panel. Sometimes the drivers side door unlocks, sometimes it doesn't want to lock, sometimes it won't unlock at all. The passenger side door unlocks but won't unlock the drivers side door, the red unlock switches are hard to rotate and get the doors open.

I also am swapping in my black leather door panels I bought on craigslist a while back for $90, a better conditioned OEM 98-01 steering wheel ($120) since my current one was rotted to heck and I hated it for the last few years, and the black leather seats I bought for $200 a few years back that have been sitting in storage. A Viper 5706v alarm is going into the car sometime next week which was another $210 with the tilt sensor.

Overall she's such a labor of love, I have come to accept that nothing is easy on this car, everyone gives me grief about her, but I still haven't given up on the old gal. There are so many love and hate moments but every time I stand back I look at the car and remember why I love Integras so much.

.... oh and I have a bunch of turbo parts ready to go but that's for the next picture post =]

·
Registered
338 Posts
damn man the struggle is real! inspiring to see that youre sticking with it when alot of other people wouldve given up on a car after the slightest setback. looking forward to seeing what you do with it from here on out!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
So I got my black leather seats in last week and it definitely makes the interior look so much sleeker!

I still have to figure out how to remove the t30 torx screw on the right side of the steering wheel where the cruise control buttons are. I bought a 3/8" t30 torx adapter for a ratchet and it won't fit on the right side, which prompted me to buy a t30 screwdriver which I can't get enough torque on to remove the screw. I might have to buy a 1/4" ratchet with the adapter to remove this =\

On the other hand I have my Viper alarm finally installed with a remote start and my locustom shark 2 antenna installed!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Finally got my steering wheel in, here's the dry rotted steering wheel that Casey and I put in years ago

Got that annoying torx t30 screw out with a 1/4" ratchet I had to buy and buy another bit for it which had me searching all over my immediate stores.

Now the newer steering wheel and air bag put in, much better! the interior now looks clean, and stock.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
So I've been wanting to make this post for a very long time. Like somewhere I mentioned in one of my previous posts, over the last few years whenever I had extra money I purchased turbo parts for my build so a bunch of these have been living in my closet for a while. I ultimately got pretty much all the brand name parts I've always wanted by being patient and waiting for good deals to come up since I was never in a rush. Since my car took so to work out all the small bugs and issues for a long time I never saw a point in posting all the small things I bought at the time. The following is a photo log of the parts and prices I got them at to remind me of the build cost.

First the boring stuff:

Yokohoma S drive tires 205-45-16 from Tirerack- $340

Strut King Pedals- $80

TURBO STUFF!

Spoolin' Performance log manifold with dump tube and 3" AC compatible downpipe and 3" ebay special exhaust $580 shipped from i3lakeintegra

Garrett 50 trim turbo, .63 ar turbine, 5 bolt downpipe flange- $350 locally off craigslist

Tial BOV- $175 off craigslist, brand new. Tial Wastegate- $150 also off craigslist, used.

Fuel system

Walboro 255 lph- $80 off a friend

Bosch 1000cc fuel injectors, with the adapter clips- $280

Vibrant 12800 Intercooler- $160

Buncha couplers, t bolt clamps, intake arm, from silicone intakes- $130
UNI Filter- $20 *Meltman approved*

Quadpod cluster bezel surround- $55

Buncha fittings, lines, and catch can

Catch can with -10an fittings- $60?
Russel -3an oil feed line- $35
Block breather -10an fittings- $15
Oil sandwich adapter plate- $28
Oil drain, oil feed flange, -10an bulkhead- $36?
-10an line, 11 feet of it. -$40?
-10an fittings, 90 degree, 45 degree, and straight fittings- $50? on all of them?
Vacuum block- free from Meltman
1/8" NPT to -3an oil adapter fittings- $10? I have 3 of them.

Here's a closer look at the catch can, it's pretty solid.

Skunk2 Intake Manifold- $220

ITR throttle cable and bracket- $45? I forgot, but I got a good deal off ebay.

MAC Solenoid- $30

Here are some tools I picked up along the way to help build those AN lines.
Vise- $20, AN jaws- $25, -10 AN wrench- $10

Oil Cap- $20 I'll only put this on when the build is complete :)

Not pictured but I have:
Competition Clutch stage 4- $200, used from a friend but is damn near new it only had 10 miles on it when he blew up his Turbo'd GSR and yanked out his motor.
SRE Intercooler Piping- $120, tial flange.
Spoolin' Performance 3" downpipe, included in the cost of the manifold. I don't have a photo of it because it's buried deep in my closet.
3" ebay special exhaust
Tons of studs, copper flange nuts, m8 socket cap screws, turbo gaskets- $100? can't remember how much I paid for all these small pieces of hardware.

NEED:
Hondata S300 v3
Glowshift Elite 10 gauges, oil temp, oil pressure, boost.
Innovate LC-2 Wideband
A ton of vacuum line, I'm not even sure what size I need.
Intake Manifold thick gasket
3 BAR MAP sensor
Throttle body gasket
-I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting that I'll update on here when I remember it-

I won't tear down the car until I have everything I need, that might not happen until mid summer or so but I'm very excited to join the great ranks of forced inducted Hondas. Any questions? comments? concerns? Wanna tell me if I did anything right or wrong?

Oh and I got these OEM pieces from kptrulee recently for an undisclosed amount :)

Phew! That was a long post, more updates to come when I get free time which is scarce nowadays.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Can't believe your local and this is the first time I've seen your thread. I've been using the same manifold since 2010 w/o out any issues. Good luck with the boost build.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Looked for your build after you posted to mine but couldn't find it! I just read through the whole thread and I really admire the hard work as well as attention to detail so far on this build! Love the SSBP, dont quit working on this build man its gonna be beautiful when its done! Subbed and waiting for the next update!

BTW even though you may think that posting the little stuff (like fixing those sticky locks, fixing wiring or swapping small parts) may seem boring, I find that to make some of the most interesting builds and it also helps us viewers get a little more educated :popcorn:. I love seeing how people break through barriers to their build and wish you would have taken some more pictures, especially of the swap and the work just to get it to run! Looks like Meltman helped you out immensely! You should work on taking more before and during pictures so we can see how far you've come! Pictures tell a million words!:wink:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Can't believe your local and this is the first time I've seen your thread. I've been using the same manifold since 2010 w/o out any issues. Good luck with the boost build.
Master JoJo! We've met like once or twice a few years back at JDMChicago meets through Brian Ramos. (Yes I purposely spelled his name wrong, I know he's a secretive private person) We talked, I asked you lots of questions about your build, I always thought you had one of the cleanest turbo'd tegs of Chicago. I remember once I asked you "I know this might sound a bit unfair since you have so many cars but which is your favorite?" and you said "easily without a doubt the teg"

In fact I think I purchased your old 98-01 white rear bumper off Brian a few years back. I did notice you had a spoolin' performance manifold when I took photos of your engine bay a few years back, it looked nice and I noticed you had an oversized dump tube coming off your wastegate. Maybe we can meet up this summer!

Looked for your build after you posted to mine but couldn't find it! I just read through the whole thread and I really admire the hard work as well as attention to detail so far on this build! Love the SSBP, dont quit working on this build man its gonna be beautiful when its done! Subbed and waiting for the next update!

BTW even though you may think that posting the little stuff (like fixing those sticky locks, fixing wiring or swapping small parts) may seem boring, I find that to make some of the most interesting builds and it also helps us viewers get a little more educated :popcorn:. I love seeing how people break through barriers to their build and wish you would have taken some more pictures, especially of the swap and the work just to get it to run! Looks like Meltman helped you out immensely! You should work on taking more before and during pictures so we can see how far you've come! Pictures tell a million words!:wink:
Thanks for the kind words, there actually used to be a ton of photos on this build thread but imageshack deleted them all and I only had a few left on my hard drive from a few years ago. I reuploaded whatever I could, trust me I was upset when all my photos on this build got deleted.

Honestly I hate all the little setbacks with this shell given it's age sitting and not working since 2007 before I got ahold of it. It's more down time and money that I care to spend for. If I could've given my younger self some advice it would've been to not buy this particular shell and go with another cleaner one that wasn't sitting as long and didn't need as much attention or just to have saved up another few grand and buy a nice GSR all over again to start throwing parts at it. This turbo build probably would've happened sooner years ago had it not been for all the technical bull crap I had to deal with it. -sighs- she's definitely a labor of love.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You've come this far and put in some great work. If you love your Integra as much as I do mine, you will do what you can to make it work. I also started with a shell and I don't even want to think about how much $$$ I've put into this (3rd motor). Keep it up meng.

BTW: Never a master, always a student.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
You've come this far and put in some great work. If you love your Integra as much as I do mine, you will do what you can to make it work. I also started with a shell and I don't even want to think about how much $$$ I've put into this (3rd motor). Keep it up meng.

BTW: Never a master, always a student.
Those are some wise words, I definitely do whatever I can to make her work well and kept in pristine condition. Every time I step back and take a look at my car it reminds me of why I love Integras so much and why I'm on my third teg.

Here's a pic of the teg sometime before winter struck, she had been professionally detailed a few weeks prior to this photo.
I think photos definitely make the car look a lot better than it actually does in person.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Not much of an update but a few weeks back I broke my drivers side axle while going too fast in first gear. VTEC kicked in too hard yo.

So I went to replace it with a NAPA unit, accidentally punctured my ball joint boot in the process when the lower ball joint stud kept spinning and wouldn't take the castle nut. All the grease spewed out of it and now I have to take my car to a shop for them to put in the new MOOG lower ball joints. Also while I was under the car I noticed my front lower control arm bushings were shot which would explain why the car felt wobbly underneath when I drove through corners fast or changed lanes quickly on the high way.

I found a person on Honda Tech selling front lower control arms with hardrace bushings already pressed in and powder coated black and hardrace rear trailing arm bushings too. So I bought them both because I knew my rear trailing arm bushings were also perished and cracked.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,247 Posts
The salt here likes to eat stock axles right where yours broke. It collects under the damper and munches on the steel until it's small enough to snap.

·
Registered
338 Posts
damn man its awesome to see that youre still at this pushing forward. youve got a pretty nice stack of turbo parts collected too! keep the updates coming

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Got the last pieces I need to do my turbo build this upcoming.... whenever the weather is stable here in Chicago which has been absolutely beautiful but it gets cold fairly quick whenever the sun goes down for the evening. On top of that I work 6 days a week so finding time to put into the car is very difficult.

OMNI 3 BAR MAP sensor and Hondata S300 v3 is acquired!

My timeline is something amongst this:

Suspension work
Clutch and Intake Manifold install
Putting the OEM body kit on the car somewhere in between
Turbo installation
Miscellaneous gauges and interior installation
then a tune sometime in early summer?

Attachments

·
Banned
306 Posts
the nickster hey man i was wondering what do you plan on doing to your car come time for emission testing. i have been getting my tubro parts and im almost there but if it all has to come off for testing ill be putting the turbo on the 91 cause its exempt.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Nice! Cant wait to see another turbo teg on here. Do you have another car to drive while installing the turbo stuff?
I'm quite jealous of your own turbo build, I wished I had money, time, know how and efforts to build my engine more. My girlfriend has a 2013 Prius that I can use in the evenings whenever needed. Otherwise I don't even typically drive my Integra that often nowadays.

the nickster hey man i was wondering what do you plan on doing to your car come time for emission testing. i have been getting my tubro parts and im almost there but if it all has to come off for testing ill be putting the turbo on the 91 cause its exempt.
So I did emissions testing a few months ago and having an OBD1 engine in an OBD2a car was already giving me enough headaches, luckily enough Meltman knew how to clear the CEL I was getting which was doing the CKF bypass trick.

I'm going to hang onto my stock fuel injectors and the OBD2a ECU come emissions time, reinstall those two pieces, disconnect the charge pipe from the intercooler and hopefully I don't get any CEL's. The turbo will just become a fancy exhaust system, which they don't do tail pipe emissions where do the testing in Skokie Illinois. It's just a plug in, make sure you're not throwing any codes and then they print the pass sheet and off you go.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts