Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the subject line isn't specific, but I just got a '91 LS a couple of weeks ago, and I have a bunch of things I want opinions on.

First of I'll I'm pretty much below the poverty level, so it's going to take a long time to do all the mods I want to do. But some of the things I want to do are inexpensive and I can do them myself, so I am going to stick to those for now.

First of all, do you guys think that the color scheme for the interior, exterior and engine bay should match? It's a black car, and I've gone with a blue theme on the inside just because the head unit I bought for it has a blue display that's pretty bright. I just finished painting my hubcaps white, just until I can afford to get some wheels for it, and the engine bay is an open canvas. Thoughts?

Second, Since I'm on a budget, I'm shopping for a cai on e-bay, any opinions on that? Should I wait and buy one of the pricey ones? Is there a benefit to them? To me, the things are pretty simple and I can't imagine that outside of maybe looking better with the decals and stuff, that there is a lot of difference.

Third, I live in Alabama, and we currently don't have emmisions inspections, but it may happen. So what about hi-flow cats. Should I put one on it, or delete it? And I've seen the $30 e-bay specials on ebay, are they worth a crap?

And lastly (for now), what are some very inexpensive performance mods that I can do the labor on myself?

Thanks for any feedback, this site has been a great tool for me already.

·
Registered
972 Posts
As far as appearance wise, there are lots of inexpensive ways to enahnce the appearance.
Like you said you have a blue theme, you can instal blue light bulbs in your cluster, there was also a good article on here about painting the needles on your cluster.

Also if you are unhappy with your interior they have vinyl spray paint which can do wonders....white dash blue accents, black dash blue accents.

As far as CAI are concerned there are alot of articles in the article sections, there was also a recent post about the DIY(do it yourself) $25 CAI.

I don't think you can make a header or exhaust unless you are very crafty, and if you can def. more power to you!

I would check out the article section of TI.net, they have lots of way to improve appearance and performance....most of us are on a budget so they are pretty budget conscious! Good Luck!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the club! Nice choice on cars, I had a gen2 myself.

If your looking for opinions I think you have to be careful with a black car. There is something about black that doesn't allow you to put a bunch of "stuff" on it to make it look bad. In other words keep your black car "clean".

The engine bay? Well... Again, clean. Do the details. Clean and paint any and all brackets with satin black paint. This keeps it from looking like a "touch up" and really makes things look new. Or if able go the other way and polish them. Spray your exhaust manifold with some header paint and clean all of the plug wires and clean or repaint the cam cover. If your pressure wash it be VERY careful around all of the electrical components. There are also some really good working cleaner/degreasers on the market but be careful again 'cause if you leave them on aluminum for too long it'll make it corrode and look like crap.

As far as the interior goes it sounds like your already on your way. I'm a HUGE fan of keeping things clean and indiscrete. Helps with security and lets face it... Acura knows how to make a car look great out of the box!

Performance starts with a good base. Do a major tune up. Timing belt, cap, wires, plugs, get your CAI and you can usually get a high flow cat made for about $100 or so (200 for me here).

But take your time and don't chince out. People will notice a nice clean car and make more positive comments then if you "Mickey Mouse" your ride.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Clear corners - cheap
Ebay CAI - cheap
Lights behind gauges - cheap
Painted Calipers - cheap
There are so much stuff you can do for cheap price. I also agree with doing a major tuneup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts