Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm guessing this is a pretty easily answered question, but here goes. I just put 16" rims on my teg yesterday. Since then my steering wheel has been shaking, harder with increasing speeds...around 70 it really starts to become annoying. What can I do to fix this? Everyone says to get an alignment..

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
they are right get an allignment

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
GET AND ALIGNMENT AND GET THEM BALANCED!! QUICK..it may cause premature wear on your tires.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Also...check you tire pressure everyday for the first week you have the new tires/wheels. Especially if you are running low-pro tires (hard to tell if they are low). When I got my new wheels, two of them had slow leaks in the valve stems.

·
Registered
258 Posts
dude its not your alignment, though it could be the balancing of the wheels. if you get a balance and it still happens then one or more of your rims are bent, it happened to me and i was like wtf....but mine starting shaking at 75 and kept doin it till 85 so ....i feel sorry for ya
of course this is assuming that those 16's are used , if their new then it already should be mounted and balanced.
and if a rim is bent and you find our which one it is put it on the right rear it should get rid of some of the shaking
anyhoo good luck

·
Registered
132 Posts
it may be a longshot but

if you have directional tires make sure they are on the correct side

my friend put them on wrong because he thought it looked cooler, he had no idea what a directional tire was meant for..his car shakes like crazy at 45+ mph

·
Registered
31 Posts
I promise its the balancing!
All you have to do is get them balanced, i just did this like a week ago.
Its not the alignment.
These wheel places claim to send you the wheels mounted , balanced, and ready to put on, but they are not balanced, even though they have the little weights inside the rim.

later

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, I was asking around further after I originally posted, and some people I trust told me the same. No alignment, just balanced. Going to get that done today. Maybe both actually....I heard I can get a good deal, and it can't hurt. Thanks again

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know everyone has been talking about alignment and balancing, but I have a different suggestion. I recently put 17" rims on my car, with Pirelli P7000 SuperSport tires. I noticed the shaky, drifty feel also, especially at high speeds. I discovered that the Pirellis had asymmetrical tire tread patterns, and that two tires (front right and left rear) were running against the direction they were supposed to rotate in. After a quick switch, the problem disappeared. Basically, check to see if your tires are rotating in the correct direction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Might be simpler than that, sometimes when you upgrade to aftermarket wheels the wheels you get are pretty much universal and are not made specifically for your car, what you need then are hub-centric rings that fit in between your hub and the wheel, this fills any gap that could be there without one...

Also did you put the wheels on yourself? If you did then you probably didn't torque them enough, get them torqued on right...

Usually if there's a problem with alignment/etc. it will shake at 50-60mph, not 70mph and higher

·
Registered
607 Posts
OK, did a search, and this thread is what i came up with... My steering isn't shaking, but I am getting weird feedback (car pulls occasionally in either direction, but not all the time)
Is this normal with low profile tires? I haven't noticed it on the highway at all, could it be that I am just noticing it because secondary roads are rougher?

Phil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts