Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I buddy of mine was getting an AEM cold air intake but he heard some info and real life testimonies and now he's ordering a Ractive cold air intake. I was wondering if any TI members actually own one and if they do, is it as good as I've heard. I think they run for around $200 canadian so its definetly worth looking into.

·
Registered
422 Posts
turbo_teg_rs on Aug/21/02 said:
I buddy of mine was getting an AEM cold air intake but he heard some info and real life testimonies and now he's ordering a Ractive cold air intake. I was wondering if any TI members actually own one and if they do, is it as good as I've heard. I think they run for around $200 canadian so its definetly worth looking into.
Ractive is more of a generic brand . Even though every one says that brand does not matter i think it does.. Go Aem or Iceman

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
please stop depending on rumors and start using your head and science instead . We ditched hearsay thinking in the 18 th century. We are in the 21st century and the information/technology age. When are you gonna catch up?

These intakes are designed based on fluid dynamics. That's using simple physics. Physics is a science. You should learn the science and not the hearsay and hype.

diameter, lengths, presence of mandrel bends, presence of a velocity stack at the opening, the type of filter material used, the relationship to the TB diameter, the type of IM affect how much power you make and where along the rpm band.

Any company can clone the science and development that other legit companies invested money to test. Copycats lack the intelligence and money to develop their own products and so they await someone to build it, see if it gains anything, and they leech on. Ractive and APC are such companies....look at the diameter. If it's the right size for your needs, who cares what the company name is on the intake.

how many times can I say this to you guys? look at where you want the powerband to be and choose...there's already been a thread today about filters on a stick.

if you have not read my intake article ...here it is to check out if you are interested:

http://www.hondavision.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3956&pagenumber=1

thanks...

·
Registered
428 Posts
99integls on Aug/21/02 said:
Quote: turbo_teg_rs on Aug/21/02I

buddy of mine was getting an AEM cold air intake but he heard some info and real life testimonies and now he's ordering a Ractive cold air intake. I was wondering if any TI members actually own one and if they do, is it as good as I've heard. I think they run for around $200 canadian so its definetly worth looking into.

Ractive is more of a generic brand . Even though every one says that brand does not matter i think it does.. Go Aem or Iceman

[/quote]

iceman? aem? do your research anf you'll find injen is the one to go with

·
Registered
422 Posts
That did make sence Mike D. It was just my thought on the Filters on a stick. But Aem and Iceman prove there siance with a dyno test

·
Registered
29 Posts
i would have to go with the aem cold air becasue that is what is in my car and i believe it the best out there and it done me great so far

·
Registered
382 Posts
Again with the brand name wars on CAI systems. Like MD said, if it is the right diameter & length get it regardless on brand.

I don't know if copycat CAI systems like APC & Ractive are the same design as AEM. I know the Nakayama CAI (about $45-$75 on eBay) is the exact same piping design, piping length, & diameter as the AEM CAI. I had the 2 side by side & measured the diameter, it's the same.

You can save yourself about $100-$125 & just pick up a universal K&N filter. K&N universal filter part #'s HERE. I got part # RR-2803 which is the polished inverted top.

Little guy that comes w/ Nakayama

K&N replacement

Side by Side

Lower half of piping w/ K&N Filter

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I can hear you all out there...tick tock tick tock...your brains are really thinking about this one...should I get this intake or shouldn't I? how many of you are just clinging to that brand name thing...yes I must get that brand regardless of what the design is...Ractive is well known brand...Naka whatever, never heard of it...LOL...well I think the decision between the Ractive vs Nakayama/K&N replacement is a no brainer...choose the Japanese sounding one...it must be JDM..at least that's what it sounds like...JDM is good right? LOL

if it has the correct dimensions and design, f*ck the brand name or where it comes from,....

some people are just slaves to slick marketing instead of good engineering...

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Turbo_teg_rs

I hope your friend isn't implying that Ractive is a superior brand and that it's worth spending more for it?

Quite the opposite.

Ractive is the more reputable of the "lesser" brands.

Ractive products should cost less than more popular ones.

And yes - just to reinforce what everyone else said - a Ractive CAI is just as good as any other if the pipe is the same size and with a comparable filter.

I would go for it.
I also like Ractive's dress up accessories.

A cold air intake is about the oNLY performance part I would buy from Ractive. Headers, exhausts etc.. I would get elsewhere and pay more.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Or ban the guy who did that article.

·
Registered
58 Posts
can someone who knows the tech specs of the AEM post them... we obviously know that it has a 3" diameter (thanks mike
,) but what is the over all length? This would be a good reference for purchasing an intake i think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I get a kick out of how some people will spend all kinds of money on something, just because it's supposedly the best you can buy.

IT'S JUST A PIECE OF PIPE. (more or less)

If the pipe is mandrel bent, and the correct diameter, that's all that matters.

My intake consists of a cheapo brand 3" under hood intake with a cold air extension I made myself out of 3" dia. mandrel bent exhaust piping, along with the biggest K&N filter I could find to fit in my fender.

It works great, and even looks pretty nice in my engine bay.

one thing I've noticed about the Ractive intakes is that they are TINY. They look to be about 2.25" dia but I could be mistaken. Look into that.

HTH.
Adam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts