13,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MISSIoN ACCOMPLISHED 2/28

Going on 600hp!

UPDATE-Page 3-Pics of Turbo, first day of wrenching
UPDATE-Page 4-More of the same, Turbo mounted on manifold
UPDATE-Page 5-New Intercooler
UPDATE-Page 6-Manifold Intalled, Front Bumper Off
UPDATE-Page 7-Turbo bolted up and turbine housing clocked, radiator brackets made
UPDATE-Page 9- Carbon TI Muffler, 3" Inlet
UPDATE-Page 10- New Type R Valve Cover and Shifter + Linkage
UPDATE-Page 12- Valve Cover Cut
UPDATE-Page 13- New V/C on, random goodness
UPDATE-Page 15- New Intake Manifold Installed, Charge Piping and BOV on, Downpipe mounted, turbo clocked, etc
UPDATE-Page 21- New Turbo Filter, check it
PSUEDO-UPDATE-Page 34- New Pics of Rims, and Misc Teg shots
UPDATE-Page 49- Headed to the Shop for Fabrication
PESUDO-UPDATE-Page 58- The Shop FINALLY starts Fabbing
UPDATE-Page 63- Charge Pipes Fabbed, Intercooler Mounted FINALLY
UPDATE-Page 64-Bumper back on, Catch Can Hooked up, and VC back on, Exhaust Coming this week then we are FINISHED!!!!
UPDATE-Page 70-Back From Fabrication, only thing left is the tune.
UPDATE-Page 72-More Finished Pics.
UPDATE-Page 75-Washed & Waxed, First Videos.
UPDATE-Page 84-First Numbers
UPDATE-Page 85-First Videos After Preliminary Tune
UPDATE-Page 90-First Video Outside the Car
UPDATE-Page 98-Revised Dyno Numbers
UPDATE-Page 99-New Engine Bay Shots
UPDATE-Page 102-First Dyno Printout, New Videos
UPDATE-Page 114-Some Fun in the Rain
UPDATE-Page 127-Took my Grandma for a Ride
UPDATE-Page 128-More of the Same
UPDATE-Page 137-Replaced Bum Synchro
UPDATE-Page 144- Relocated New 44mm Wastegate
UPDATE-Page 153- First Pump Numbers
UPDATE-Page 156- King Tune Numbers
UPDATE-Page 167- Dyno Printouts
UPDATE-Page 169- Hondata Screenshots
UPDATE-Page 185- Good News Everyone!
UPDATE-Page 194- Pump Numers In! 433hp/300tq, Dyno Videos
UPDATE-Page 197- 433hp Street Videos
UPDATE-Page 200- First Video Outside the Car
UPDATE-Page 226- Forgotten Dyno Video
UPDATE-Page 238- 503hp Glory Pull
UPDATE-Page 239- 500hp Street Pull #1
UPDATE-Page 256- 2 Step Video
UPDATE-Page 258- Hondata Screens
UPDATE-Page 258- Highway Pull
UPDATE-Page 264- Some night time pics
UPDATE-Page 272- Photoshoot with Malhon's Green Machine
UPDATE-Page 279- 40-90mph Pull, and my Mom driving the car
UPDATE-Page 280- Greatest Hits
UPDATE-Page 282- Ripping the Tires in 3rd
UPDATE-Page 298- IL Meetup Pt. 1
UPDATE-Page 299- IL Meetup Pt. 2
UPDATE-Page 301- Some More Highway Fun
UPDATE-Page 308- Boosting under an Overpass
UPDATE-Page 332- GIANT recap
UPDATE-Page 341- FINALLY out of storage
UPDATE-Page 343- Pics of the damage and the new yellow top
UPDATE-Page 344- Front End Fixed, Looks Good as New
UPDATE-Page 344-More of the Same

Long Story Short, My 00 GSR Hydrolocked in a bad flood so I rebuilt the motor with some friends,

Darton 84mm Sleeves
CP 9:1 Pistons
Eagle H Beams
Eagle 4340 Knife-Edged crank
ACL Bearings
ARP Head/Main Studs
TODA Head Gasket
Ferrea Superflow Stainless Valves
Skunk2 Springs and Retainers
Ported Head
TODA Timing Belt
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Competition Stage 5 Clutch
Exedy 9lb Flywheel

Now the fun begins. Going into the car:

PeakBoost Topmount Turbo Kit with a GT3076R
44mm TIAL Wastegate
Precision 750hp FMIC 27"x8"x4" Core
Hondata S300 w/Boost Option
OBDII-OBDI conversion harness
P72 OBDI ECU
1000cc RC Injectors with Driver/Resistor
Blitz Filter w/Custom Intake
Quaife 1.5 way LSD
Carbon Coated Synchros
Bronze 16" Rota Circuit 8s wrapped in Falken azenies RT615 215/45/16 with Black Buddy Club Lugs
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Koyo Civic Half Radiator with Buddy Club Cap
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
K Sport Pro Kontrol Coilovers
Skunk2 LCAs
Skunk2 Front Camber Kit
Cuzco Catch Can
Golden Eagle Vac Manifold
JDM ITR Valve Cover
Cutsom 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with HKS Carbon Ti Muffler
Autometer Cobalt Boost/Oil Pressure/Volt Gauges
AEM Wideband Gauge
OEM ITR Shifter and Linkage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been getting a lot of PMs recently, so here is the whole story regarding the tune:

Danny50 on Feb/07/09 said:
This whole process has completely redeemed King Motorsports in my eyes. Their tuner Tim shook my hand after he was done and said "Sorry for wasting your time".

They couldnt have handled this situation any better, and I am going to be a customer there for a very long time.

The reason for the false positives on the plugs was the extreme retard, which actually ended up raising the temperature in the combustion chamber, so it made it look as if the car could not take any more timing. But, as soon as we increased the timing, the numbers shot up.

The false reading on the plugs was telling them the car could not take any more timing, and they did not want to have to call me telling me there was a hole in my piston. But they rectified their mistake, and both because of the quality of the new tune, as well as the way they handled the situation, I give them the highest possible recommendation. I am very happy with my decision to take my car there and would not hesitate to recommend anyone else do the same.

2/7/09

King Motorsports Tuned

110 Octane: 503.13hp/372.88tq

http://www.youtube.com/v/tf0MNKIBf3I&hl=en&fs=1&

93 Octane: 433.33hp/300.77tq

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
damn, was it stock before? cuz liek whenever i break sumthin i replace with an upgrade, but damn thats one hell of an upgrade

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Sounds like a very solid setup. However, a couple of things:

GT3076R. This turbo can reach 500whp at it MOST. It is not a hp that should be used and obtained with this turbo for an extended period of time. This turbo is good to about 480whp reliable to the wheels without any issues. Any more than that, and you're pushing its life span. A great turbo nonetheless. Don't get suckered into larger A/Rs for just an hp number that could get higher. From what it looks like on the setup, you're looking for a much more responsive setup than all out power.

RC750 injectors. Please stay away from these. I've had over 50 sets of these converted injectors crap themselves in under a year. The reason why they are the only company willing to make a saturated injector that size is because of the fact they are taking a 440cc saturated injector and modifying the pintle of the injector to flow at a higher rate, so that a resistor box isn't needed. This is supposedly a way to have the best of 2 worlds. Saturated, but can still have a higher flow rate. What they DoN'T tell you is that you are on borrowed time with them, because even though they altered the pintle and signal interrupt to flow the higher level, it is still a 440cc pintle, so it will fail prematurely. Get a set of Peak & hold 680 or greater injectors, resistor box, and get reliable. I've been going on a similar setup for over 4 years with no issues with the Peak & hold Siemen Dekas. Look to Precision (uses Rochester/Lucas) or Delphi Injectors to solve this.

Also. DO NOT use the CTR Type R race crank pulley WITHOUT an upgraded TODA oil pump gear (If using a New Oil pump for GS-R, you want the 84mm gear to fit.) The balance on the Race CTR pulley is not at ALL made for a street car, regardless of the testimony of "helping" with power. Even if you're not running A/C or P/S. Keep your stock crank pulley rated for the correct balance for the crank.

An Eagle crank also is not necessary, but if you want to spend that on your budget, that is totally fine. A GS-R OEM crank will do just fine, as well, if something were to happen, you can utilize at least some variant of the OEM bearings, with the Eagle crank, once its done, its done.

Also, WHY the Toda Headgasket? I run Toda Gaskets on all my N/A cars, but on Boost it is not at all needed. If you want to raise compression a bit, instead of trying to port the head, look at a good resurface. That is a much safer approach.

Otherwise, It all looks pimp...

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I've seen 500+ whp with a gt35 on a GSR with the stock head...so maybe you could save some cash by not modifying the head and using a slightly larger turbo.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
*** Removed by user at Jun 9 2007 12:51PM (Server Time) ***

JustinKlemgold on Jun/09/07 said:
I've seen 500+ whp with a gt35 on a GSR with the stock head...so maybe you could save some cash by not modifying the head and using a slightly larger turbo.
Exactly...If 500whp is what he's looking for, he also doesn't have to have Ball-bearing cartridge. Save the money on the turbo (and the $160-$200 in water lines that are needed for the GT3076R or any other "R" series) and get the GT35E, GT66, or T3/T67 to do the same thing. I do recommend coatings for the Nickle Iron housings that they come with Standard.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Exactly...If 500whp is what he's looking for, he also doesn't have to have Ball-bearing cartridge. Save the money on the turbo (and the $160-$200 in water lines that are needed for the GT3076R or any other "R" series) and get the GT35E, GT66, or T3/T67 to do the same thing. (Since he's Top mount, he can also do a Borg-Warner S366 and go with a V-band downpipe.) I do recommend coatings for the Nickle Iron housings that they come with Standard.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mac, thanks for all the info. I did think of most of that stuff ahead of time. Let me clarify.

1) I am using the GT3076R becuase it matches my goals perfectly and will be my best bet as far as throttle response is concerned. I am shooting for 500hp at the track on race gas. Im not going to near that number on the street

2) Never heard that about the RC 750s, Ill look into it. I got them in a packaged deal, and I never really planned on keeping them for too long anyway.

3) I ported the head mostly becuase I had already taken the head apart and it needed to be machined anyway. I only ported it behind the valve stems, For my set up that will be just fine. The machine shop specializes in B series heads and knows how to get power out of them.

4) As far as the TODA head gasket, I got it because my stock one had 100K miles, and this one is the stock size and can withstand a bit more abuse.

5) For the CTR pulley, I did replace the oil pump and plan on dropping in a TODA oil pump gear, theyre very expensive though. I am considering losing the thing altogether.

When you said this Mac

"From what it looks like on the setup, you're looking for a much more responsive setup than all out power."

You couldnt have had it more perfectly.

Thank you all for you input. The coilovers and LCAs are on, pics tomorrow.

Danny

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I could, but Im shooting for a responsive set up. The head is already modded. A bigger turbo would make sense, but I want to see boost before 5000 RPM. Took a bunch of pics, gimme a sec and Ill try to upload them. I have a new computer and I have no clue how to do it

·
Registered
156 Posts
how much did you spend on the engine work and parts if you dont mind me asking cause i wanna do something to my car on a pretty small budget and i hear for the dollar/hp turbo is the way to go

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
^^ small budget = low boost daily driven set up, which is all you will be able to achieve. What's your definition of low budget? Danny has a very large budget because he overhauled his motor, however my turbo budget is small compared to his because I have a stock motor.... but it's still not cheap. Dan correct me if I'm wrong... but I bet you're near the 8-9 thousand mark.

1 - 20 of 4875 Posts