Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new B18B put in my car and I hooked up my A/F and Boost gauges last night and my car is running way lean. Before the new engine at idle it would bounce between lean and rich and when I floored it (open loop) it would be all the way rich. Now it bounces between not even registering and very lean at idle and doesn't even reach stoich when it's floored. My car has also been making a strange hollow sound (can't explane it in words) when I would floor it in too hi of a gear. Kinda sounded like something trying to pump but not enough power. I was thinking it might be my fuel filter. Or my fuel pump (but the noise was coming from the engine compartment) Or maybe it's just my 02 sensor is going bad. Any one have any Ideas. I need to get this resolved before I throw my turbo back on. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
if that noise is the fuel pump going out, that would explain the "running lean" problem...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yea and it also likes to idle high when I'm coasting in nuetral (like 2K) then it drops to 1500 when I come to a complete stop. If I blip the throttle the RPM's will drop to 750 like it should. My friend said it's doing that thinking it will stall if it doesn't. I didn't worry about it since I figured the ECU was getting to know the new engine. But now I'm thinking it might be because it was running too lean when it was at 750. Just putting out all the info. Might be the missing piece to the puzzle.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Besides the fact that you know it's running lean, why would you floor a brand new engine? It needs broken in first.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know...I never exceeded 3500 RPM's the first thousand. Then changed the oil. Now it has almost 2000 miles on it. But it's only 2 weeks old. I just drive alot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fixed my problem last night. It was my PCV Valve was clogged and the vacume line was collapsed. I put racing sport akimoto vacume line in and cleaned out the valve and it now has perfect a/f again. Have no idea what that would have to do with the a/f but it fixed it. Maybe the ecu was trying to compensate or something? Oh well who cares its fixed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
if it's new, it should be covered by warranty shouldn't?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if it has to do with the actual engine yes. But more likely than not it is something external causing it. Like the fuel pump, fuel filter, ect.. Then it wouldn't be covered because I only have drive train coverage left. So I would rather do it myself. I think it might just be the gauge because it is so random.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
You know thats normal for a cheap A/F gauge to act like that right? Its not even acurate if you have one of those Autometer ones or a sub $100 A/F ratio. If you are serious about accuratecy, get a bung hoocked up to your cat and get something like the Greddy for $200-$300 for more accurate readings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know about putting a turbo on a 7 year old 80K+ engine. Mine had 70K on it and it lasted a day before spinning a bearing. It is the risk you take when adding serious power to your engine. Might be worth your time to rebuild it before putting on a turbo just so you don't HAVE to rebuild it because it dies on you. Plus while your at it you can throw in some low compression pistons and stronger rods. It's up to you though if you think you engine is in tip top condition for its age go for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts