Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

It was recently brought to my attention that our government (Provincial) wants to bring in regulations for annual testing for all cars 12 years or older. This means EVERY year you have to go through the pain of getting your car e-tested. This means if you have a 1996 or older teg you have to go for etesting every year starting 2008 or sooner if this passes

I think this is very unfair, its just another tax grab and I think it should be protested.

(I have underlined issues that will directly affect integra owners)

Here's the full story:

TORoNTO – The ontario government’s improvements to the Drive Clean program that exempt newer vehicles from emissions tests while focusing attention on older vehicles take effect January 1, 2006, Environment Minister Laurel Broten said today.

“These measures will save ontarians time and money while helping protect the air we breathe,” Broten said. “It does not make sense to require emissions tests for newer vehicles that pass over 99 per cent of the time, while allowing exemptions for older vehicles that have a much higher risk of polluting.”

ontario’s Drive Clean program requires regular emissions inspections for cars, trucks and buses. A recent science-based review recommended that the program be improved by exempting newer vehicles and focusing more strongly on older vehicles that are most likely to pollute.

The program changes are:

-As of January 1, 2006, emissions tests to renew licence plates are required when vehicles are five years old, instead of three. The test exemption applies to all vehicles in the Drive Clean program, including cars, vans and other light-duty vehicles, and heavy-duty trucks and buses.
-The rolling exemption that allowed light-duty vehicles to become exempt from testing at 20 years of age is ending for 1988 model year and newer vehicles. They will continue to require Drive Clean tests, no matter their age. All light-duty vehicles that are 1987 or earlier model years continue to be exempt from testing when they are 20 years old or older. This includes historic vehicles.
-Stronger consumer protection and fraud prevention measures that make it an offence under the Environmental Protection Act to create, distribute or use false Drive Clean passes. It is also easier to decertify emissions inspectors who are involved in such activities.
Further changes to the Drive Clean program are also proposed. The changes are posted on the EBR Registry for public comment until January 17, 2006. They are:

-Annual testing for light duty vehicles 12 years old and older. This would apply only to 1988 and newer model vehicles. Vehicles of the 1987 and earlier model years would not be affected.
-Increasing the minimum amount vehicle owners must spend on repairs should their vehicle fail its Drive Clean test, from $450 to $600 to receive a conditional pass.
-No longer requiring a Drive Clean test for an ownership transfer between family members, or when a vehicle lease is bought out by the lessee.
-Using the vehicle’s own on-board computers for testing the emissions systems of 1998 and newer vehicles.

“We want to hear what the public has to say about these proposals which will make Drive Clean even more efficient and effective,” said Broten. “I urge everyone with an interest in helping improve the quality of our air to send us their comments through the
Environmental Bill of Rights Registry.”

ontarians wishing to comment can do so at:

www.ene.gov.on.ca/envregistry/026516ep.htm

·
Registered
469 Posts
wow... what a big pile of BS. So, if i own a classic hot rod that sends out black sh*t out of my tailpipe, i'm exempt, but if i've got a highly efficient, clean, 20 yr old car, i have to get it tested EVERY year?

I find it retarded that they impose such restrictions on cars, but when it comes to factory's, they don't give 2 sh*ts... They do have laws for factory's, but if one factory doesn't pollute to the maximum allowable amount, they can sell off their extra to a really bad polluter, so that they can pass.... Hmm... i smell bribery... and greed...

AS IF THE GOV'T DIDN'T TAKE ENOUGH OF OUR MoNEY ALREADY!!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Good, I don't want cars that are daily driven polluting my air.

It's bad enough that the test can be passed with shady mechanics. It's what $40.00. Not a big deal at all.

If it forces people to fix there cars/get it tuned I'm all for it. Not to mention the allergies or the nasty black smog I see when looking into downtown toronto during the hot summer months.

I also know of seniors/infants that suffer from the bad smog/pollution in the summer and it's not fair to them at all.

My only problem with it is the shady mechanics taking advantage of customers, when in reality nothing is actually wrong with there car.

Taken from
Here

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you guys, I want to get a petition going.. Ive already posted this on several boards, Im hoping if the public voices against this enough that it won't pass

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Haegl on Feb/16/06 said:
Hey guys,

It was recently brought to my attention that our new minority government wants to bring in regulations for annual testing for all cars 12 years or older.
I hope you aren't trying to infer this is a federal conservative issue? this is a provincial liberal issue.

I agree our pollution is bad, and only is getting worse, but i think a more pro-active approach would actualy make a difference. how about some research funds for hydrogen powered vehicles...

And I guess its a good thing my car is a 97 so they can't plug it in and make up some bullshit to get my money.

I guess it would be smart for everyone to register their cars for 2 years at a time from now on. thats the only way i'll do it.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steved on Feb/16/06 said:
Quote: Haegl on Feb/16/06Hey guys,
It was recently brought to my attention that our new minority government wants to bring in regulations for annual testing for all cars 12 years or older.

I hope you aren't trying to infer this is a federal conservative issue? this is a provincial liberal issue.

I agree our pollution is bad, and only is getting worse, but i think a more pro-active approach would actualy make a difference. how about some research funds for hydrogen powered vehicles...

And I guess its a good thing my car is a 97 so they can't plug it in and make up some bullshit to get my money.

I guess it would be smart for everyone to register their cars for 2 years at a time from now on. thats the only way i'll do it.

-Steve

LOL, that’s the 3rd time someone address that, sorry my bad it's that damn Dalton McGinty the only liberal I can't stand. "Provincial not federal" - Sorry I’m very anti-conservative some of it may of came out there my apologies

·
Registered
739 Posts
if you are pro-liberal you must be used to useless wastes of money and time like this

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
white4dteg: Im not answering that, don't want this to turn into a political drama thread :p

Oblivion: What I am going to do is get a petition going and get people to leave comments and signatures. I wanted to see what the reaction would be on multiple sites before I did though. I'll keep everyone posted

·
Registered
739 Posts
i dont want it to either, i was just stating that i am anti-liberal. nothing personal whatsoever

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.