Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only been driving a stick for about 10 days now, and Ive had my fair shair of stalls and chirps. I think ive got everything down now from launching to shifting but my only problem is launching from a hill. The other day I had about 4 cars behind me when trying to go from a hill, stalled about 3 times, then finially chirped out. Needless to say, it was embarriging as hell. What is the best way to launch from a hill? Keep your foot on the brake, let the clutch out until it starts to grab then let go of the brake and gas it ? Everytime I do that I either roll&stall or burn out. Is heel and toe a better method? I now plan my driving around whether or not I will have to stop on a hill. Any sugestions please. Thanks~John

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Slam on the gas (1st gear) pop the clutch real fast and keep your foot on the gas pedal (to the floor and hold it). jk

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Easy way to get over this if you're still uneasy with your Clutch. Put on your ebrake to keep the car from rolling backwards and make sure to keep your thumb on the little button on the end so you can release it quickly. Then give it some gas and let out the clutch gently. When you feel it catch, slowly release the ebrake while still releasing clutch and pressing accelerator. if you do it right (which I don't know why you wouldn't be able to pull this off) you should start moving forward! That's what I did when I started learning.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
e-brake is the way to do it whether youre a learner or not. I dont know how many fender benders would be saved if stick learners would use it on hills!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm pretty new to standard. But the e-brake is your friend

·
Registered
104 Posts
one way that you might want to try is maybe finding a residential/low traffic road that is hilly and practice over and over until you get the feel of it, then go to another hill and try, and then another, until you're ready again and hit the hill that caused you to lose face the other day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think more fender benders would also be avoided if ass holes in their little automatics didn't pull right up behind you on a hill. That always pisses me off.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree with PhatIntegra. Floor it and dump the clutch, that is a sure way to "launch" from a hill. Actually, it will come with practice so don't worry about it too much. I'd rather be embarrased driving a manual than be stuck with an automatic, unless it is an automatic in a TL Type S.

·
Registered
395 Posts
yeah, the best thing is to use the ebrake. when the car starts to move then just release. even experienced drivers have trouble with their car rolling back sometimes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
after a while u wont even really need the ebrake trick unless its a super steep hill....it just takes time...just pretend their aint any cars behind u...the only reason why u freak out is cuz your scared of hiting them...that was how it was for me when i was a beginner.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been using the ebrake for hills like you guys sugest. It seems to be the easiest way. I figure, why bother to learn the other methods when ebrakin it is so easy ? It is the only fool-proof way to prevent rollback and chirping. I would practice in my driveway, but its all gravel so I dont want to chip up my car if I spin the wheels. Thanks for the help guys! , ~ John

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thats awesome that you are learning to drive stick. So many people stick with auto's because they do not or are to scared to learn how. It also decreases the risk of your car getting stolen
Keep practicing and you'll get it. on a hill you basically have to get a happy medium between clutch and gas. Never tried the ebrake trick, but it sounds useful to new people with sticks. When Im on a hill, I may "roll back" about an inch or so, but thats about it. Good luck to ya.

·
Registered
151 Posts
roll back is always a case with me, but not that much a inch or so at the most. I push my car up a inch, roll back push it up again (i repeat that process) when i'm at a short traffic light or at a stop. If its a long traffic light i pop the e up cuz i get lazy lol.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Talking about stop lights I always put it in N light turn green pop into 1st if your quick enough (I been driving stick for over 8 years)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
okay just to clarify, you're not "launching".

The term "launching" is used when you are racing.

You are simply accelerating from a dead stop.

I hope I don't sound rude at all, I just hope to save you a little confusion & embarrassment.

Now my only tip is RELAX.

I'm positive that you already do it perfectly when no one's around you without stalling and with minimal rollback.

Well, that's just my point. It's easier to do cuz you're relaxed and not overly concerned about who's behind you.

Screw the e-brake. That's just one more thing to do, and makes a simple thing more complicated. Practice and relaxation are your best friends.
This may sound dumb, but take a deep breath before you do it and then do it with confidence.

Don't worry about heel/toe, or keeping the clutch on the friction point.

Just shift as you would normally do on a flat road.
You won't roll back as much as you think.

Trust me, it's the easiest way. New drivers are only making matters worse when they worry about heel/toeing, ebraking etc....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts