Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im wondering does the i-vtec not have a point where the vtec kicks in or whut?????????, cause we had a lude aand kicked hard and traded it for a crv, supposedly has the civic sir engine and there is no kick...

since the rsx has the i-vtec maybe u can shed some light in my rectum

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Theres two parts to I-Vtec. one is the vtec, which is just like old vtec but new and improved in little ways I suppose, and yes the RSX has even more of a kick than the GS-R when vtec kicks in. The other part of i-vtec that I think you were thinking was i-vtec is the automaticly adjusting intake cam gear, which adjusts overlap throughout the rpm range.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, the RSX Type S has a kick,i-VTEC doesn't engage until around 6100 RPM and then the next thing you know----WHAM!!!--- your at 8000. IT is not as severe as the GS-R but it is still there. Due to the rapid acceleration when i-VTEC engages in first, timing is all important, and yes, with practice, you can stay in the power band while shifting.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I don't think you can really feel VTEC kick in on the GSR and thats due to the dual intake manifold which enables the car to have a smooth torque curve.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Quote: i-VTEC doesn't engage until around 6100 RPM and then the next thing you know----WHAM!!!--- your at 8000.[/quote]
Word, I thought I was the only one who didnt feel it until 6100 RPMs. Isnt it supposed to kick in at 5800 RPMs though??? I thought something was wrong with my car because I was expecting it at 5800 and I never felt or heard it until 6100.

·
Registered
480 Posts
the only difference in operation I am aware of in the I-Vtec car is the addition of the Variable intake timing control which moderates the intake cam depending on driver/engine input. This is INCDECERNABLE to the driver. The only thing the driver, I also having been one is when the cam changes over at 5700. The RSX seems to pull hard then, only its quite sluggish under this mark. this motor however, has alot of potential to be very, very responsive. for those that were interested now, you could get a comptech header a perf. cat and comptech exhaust and the hondata rom upgrade. all you will need to do to the intake is plumb cooler/denser air to the airbox, buy another less restrictive air element and remove the bottle neck from inside the box. Mated with an intake manifold gasket from hondata one can see 190/138 to the wheels all day with a very usable 8600 rpm rev limit on stock cams. Oh, the joys of 2L...

(Although a 85mm GSR or ITR would spank its little behind in stock trim... one day)

oh, for all of you needle watching people concerning the x-over point: hondas tachs are always ahead of the engine so you dont rev as high as you think
you are, yet another saftey valve from honda. At 6K its off about 200-300rpm. If you see this on a dyno its a lower number, hence thats why when you take your tach almost to the cutoff on a dyno, its less.

Cheers.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Come to think of it, I brought 1st gear to about 8400RPMs today. I thought the cutoff was 8100. I guess what you said about it being 300 over is correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the i in i-vtec is variable intake cam timing(~vtc or something).

feels like 6000 or 6100 vtec engagement because hp doesn;t jump 20 until then

my rsx idles at right rpm and cuts out at 82, the tack is fine, same as all my friends with 3rd gens. tack is right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts