Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i wasn't sure to post this up in the wheel/tire section or suspension, b/c they both related somewhat. Here is the deal:

My tires look like they have negative camber, but I have no camber kit and i usually thought when a car is lowered you'll get just get camber wear on the inside of the tire. The pic is below, and I showed a couple TI people in person what they thought. Looks like I have negative camber...

BUT is it possible to have negative camber w/o having a camber kit? Just wondering what all the tech heads on here thought...hope to hear from someone...

NEGATIVE CAMBER PICS

·
Registered
647 Posts
The camber kit is to correct negative camber not to give you negative camber. If you don't have a camber kit and you lower your car you get negative camber, depending on the drop of course.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes. That's why you buy a camber kit- to reduce the negative camber after lowering, for even tire wear.
A little negative camber (0.2-1.0 degree) is good for handling in turns and won't wear tires too quickly. Too much will not only wear your tires out in hurry, but will make your car less stable at straight-line high speeds. If your drop isn't too aggressive you can probably get by w/out one.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
not to be a d*ck, but you really shouldnbt have lowered your car without knowing EVERYTHING that is mentioned in that article that is linked above. that article is filled with info that is very common knowledge, not very difficult concepts.

if you dont know how something is going to affect your car, dont put it on your car in the first place.

to answer your question (actrually not really your question, but the question you should hav asked, which is DO I NEED A CAMBER KIT), you look pretty slammed, so just an alignment probably wont work for you, while it will fix ur toe, you will be SOL with all of that neg camber...and while the articel makes it claer that some neg camber is a good thing, you dont want too much, because too much will not only burn up ur tires but also give you too small of a contact patch while driving in a straight line and you will loose alot of ur traction.

so, get a camber kit, one that can at least do 1.5 degrees positive, and then get it aligned

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... everyone knows what negative camber is and positive camber right?

JUSTTEGIT: If ur gonna say something, say wht ur gonna say and don't be sorry for it... if ur gonna be an ass... just say so... i dont' care, as long as ur answer is constructive.

If everyone can view the 1st and 2nd pic... you can see the top is going in and the bottoms are sticking out, that is negative camber. Most camber experienced by lowering a car is positive camber am i right? Someone correct me if i'm wrong. But when I had my drop before i got new wheels and tires, the bottom of my wheel went in... and the top was sticking out.

If none of that makes sense, i'm sorry, and i'll try to revise what i'm trying to get across...

·
Registered
283 Posts
yep if you lowered your car then you will get negative camber. whats not normal is having positive camber after lowering. and what you were describing about the bottom of your wheels going in and the top sticking out, i'd get an alignment check cause that is not normal at all if you are experienceing this. And again camber kit will fix the negative camber.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks... i knew all this already, and i wasn't asking how to fix it... i was just asking if anyone has the bottom sticking out and top going in... sorry if that was unclear

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
djn3dc2 on Feb/06/04 said:
Ok... everyone knows what negative camber is and positive camber right?

JUSTTEGIT: If ur gonna say something, say wht ur gonna say and don't be sorry for it... if ur gonna be an ass... just say so... i dont' care, as long as ur answer is constructive.
Um, what in that post made you think i was sorry for what i was saying, lol...I said what i said because I am sick of people doing major stuff like lowering to their cars without first researching the consequences of what can/will happen.

And you obviously havent read the article we linked to above, if you are still saying that you think "most camber casued by lowering is usually positive"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jesus.. YOU HAVE NEGATIVE CAMBER.. as stated 15 times above wich means the bottom sticks out and the top goes in (meaning in towards the fender) negative camber.. not positive, you should at no time experience positive camber unless you raise your car as far as it will go without changing any suspension components. so to answer your question, what your thinking positive camber is,.. its negative camber, just got the pos/neg switched around no big deal its completely normal *get a camber kit*

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
negative camber is not usaly the culprit of inside tire wear,I dont know why people keep on saying that.toe-in is what causes inside tired waer and people to need new tires in a short period of time.Ihave been running -2 degres camber on 1 set of tires since last summer and i have minimal tire wear and it is even,and i know of a lot of people who run this much camber even more with no problems as long as their toe angle is set properly,i believe my toe-in is pointzero something 1 basicaly 0.

I havent even looked at your pic but the one guy says your slammed you def need a camberkit and alignment wich they probably cant get to any specs you want without the camberkit.
spelling** comp is on the friztz 8-(

·
Registered
171 Posts
i dont' understand which adjustability do i get when looking for a camber kit. i've searched but nothing specific to what i needed to know. so my question is how would i know?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
when you lowwer the car the wheels poke out at the bottom, the more you drop it the more they poke out,how much varies from car to car. camber kits alow you to make the wheels stand straight up in comparison to the car, adjustments between slanted and straight effects the way it will handle.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
djn3dc2 on Feb/06/04 said:
My tires look like they have negative camber, but I have no camber kit and i usually thought when a car is lowered you'll get just get camber wear on the inside of the tire. The pic is below, and I showed a couple TI people in person what they thought. Looks like I have negative camber...

BUT is it possible to have negative camber w/o having a camber kit? Just wondering what all the tech heads on here thought...hope to hear from someone...
To answer your question...
"Is it possible to have negative camber"
If your car is bone stock, NO.
If your car is lowered, YES.

"Is it possible to have negative camber w/o having a camber kit"
Assuming your car is lowered, you WILL have camber if your car is lowered and have NO camber kit.
If your car is stock, and you throw in a camber kit (for who knows whatever reason you do that), you will have positive camber. =p

here, let me make it simpler for you.

STOCK = NO CAMBER
STOCK + CAMBER KIT = POSITIVE CAMBER

DROP = NEGATIVE CAMBER
DROP + CAMBER KIT = NO CAMBER

1 - 18 of 18 Posts