Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fix the car as it is now

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 auto integra ls. it drives and stuff but i can tell there is multiple problems with the car. the engine is also leaking oil pretty badly. Ive been thinking about replacing the engine. Is that what i should do??? I also would love to manual swap it so i could potentially build it. I just dont know if im just gonna wast time and money or if i should just sell my car while it still runs fine.

·
Administrator
4,404 Posts
Some questions that I have:

1. You said "there are multiple problems with the car". What specifically? Are they all engine related? Chassis? Suspension? Brakes? Electrical?
2. What specifically from the engine is leaking oil?
3. What is the overall health of the engine? Have you had a compression check completed? Leak down?
4. What is the mileage of the vehicle?
5. Can you elaborate on "....so I could potentially build it"? What would you "build it" to in an ideal situation?
6. What is the condition on the chassis/body overall?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some questions that I have:

1. You said "there are multiple problems with the car". What specifically? Are they all engine related? Chassis? Suspension? Brakes? Electrical?
2. What specifically from the engine is leaking oil?
3. What is the overall health of the engine? Have you had a compression check completed? Leak down?
4. What is the mileage of the vehicle?
5. Can you elaborate on "....so I could potentially build it"? What would you "build it" to in an ideal situation?
6. What is the condition on the chassis/body overall?
hey thanks so much for the reply. Its a worn out car to be honest it has 240,000 miles on it. as far as the problems, im not completely sure but i know i am having a small shifting problem that i think is related to the trans or trans mount. I am leaking oil from the rear main seal and the head gasket. and I am having very clear engine bogging that i have no idea about. I dont really know anything about the "health of the engine". Perhaps I should have tests run on the engine like you mentioned.

Ideally, i would like to engine&manual swap, then add some mods or something. I mean i dont want like a race car, jsut something fun and reliable

·
Administrator
4,404 Posts
Just like a house, the "foundation" would be the most important part of a vehicle, which would be the chassis. You can have a great engine, transmission, etc, but if the chassis isn't solid, what good is the power? Safety also comes into play. If you feel that the vehicle overall is "worn out", part ways, and find something that you can work upon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you have any automotive background?

Anything is possible to overcome or achieve when it comes to integras. But your success and overall feelings about the projects are going to come down to a fundamental knowledge about many ovelapping sciences and techniques.

I had several years of auto tech vocational training. Even with the training id had my build required tons of research. Trial and error. Blood sweat tears. Dont forget money.

Learning to fix your oil leaks is reasonably doable. But youre going to have to learn to diagnose your car and maintain it constantly week in and week out.

Are you intending to do your own work or seek professional assistance?

If youre not up to the challenge or cant afford the work, id say sell the car rather than drive it into the ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have any automotive background?

Anything is possible to overcome or achieve when it comes to integras. But your success and overall feelings about the projects are going to come down to a fundamental knowledge about many ovelapping sciences and techniques.

I had several years of auto tech vocational training. Even with the training id had my build required tons of research. Trial and error. Blood sweat tears. Dont forget money.

Learning to fix your oil leaks is reasonably doable. But youre going to have to learn to diagnose your car and maintain it constantly week in and week out.

Are you intending to do your own work or seek professional assistance?

If youre not up to the challenge or cant afford the work, id say sell the car rather than drive it into the ground.
nah, no experience. Im pretty interested in cars though. Im just a large procrastinator. thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly. Selling the auto and getting a oem manual is the way to go.
Learning the craft will be more straight forward.

Things can get tricky with custom modifications. Best to learn your teg from the factory and make your own customizations. You'll have a stronger connection with your machine.

But mostly, my advice IS to learn about the tech that moves your teg. You'll be happy you did.
Best regards.
Keep us posted!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts