Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new car. I currently drive a 2001 Mustang V6 automatic, and I'm growing tired of it. After recently driving a friends Civic 5-spd, I can't get enough of it. I want a standard car. Not to mention having a RWD Mustang in NY winters is a pain in the ass. I have a beater, but it's about to die on me, so I need something reliable for year round usage.

I was originally looking at STis and Evos, and was all gung-ho 2004 Evo in black, had it all picked out and was just waiting for the 04 to come out. Well the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't want a $30k car hanging over me at 20 years old. I can afford it, but it just doesn't make financial sense. Not to mention I'll be in college, and I don't want my $30k car sitting in a college parking lot, sitting on peoples lawns at parties, out in the street etc. Too much of a burden at my age.

So I made a responsible decision, decided to get something used, fun, and faster than my Mustang if possible. The two things that immediately popped into my head were Integra and Eclipse. However after hearing lots of problems with crankwalk on the DSMs, and the difficulty I have been having in finding a GSX near me, I have just about given up on that option. So it leaves me at Integras. I'm looking at either a GS-R or a Type-R. Don't want to spend more than $20k ideally.

Now onto my questions:

1.) Is it sacrilege to drive a Type-R in the snow? This will be a year round car.

2.) How much faster/better handling is a Type-R over a GS-R? I'm a handling freak (Hence Evo) and would like to upgrade in that department over my 'Stang, and the extra HP plus lighter weight of a Type-R (195hp vs the 193 in my stang) would make it faster as well.

3.) Is the transmission/clutch in a 3rd gen Teg solid? Never driven one.

Alot of questions I know, but I'm trying to guage if this car is right for me. I like the looks, I like the quality of Honda/Acura, and I'm sure they are fun as hell to drive. Post any comments/opinions please.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
1. Drive your ITR in the snow if you want to, it's not that big a deal I think. It's not like a ferrari or something
2. It's a noticable amount better, ITR has LSD and the GS-R dosen't, that helps it a lot in the corners. many other differences, check our articles
3. From what I've heard they are pretty good, no big troubles.

IMO though, in your case, I'd get 20k and buy a used WRX, AWD in the winter is good and it's fast.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
1) Some ITR owners will give you a hard time for driving one in the snow, but I say fook that.

2) The ITR handles A LOT better than a GS-R. It goes beyond just better springs and struts, they are lighter, have more chassis reinforcement, and the list goes on. The ITR isn't oodles faster than a GS-R...the GS-R actually pulls a bit better down low and in the midrange.

3) The tranny on the B-series engines (the ones in Integras) are usually bulletproof and very easy to shift.

The Integra has made it on Consumer Reports' 'Good Buys' list just about every year, FWIW. Definitely a reliable car that is fun to drive. The ITR has the downfall of being a huge theft magnet and not having A/C. GS-Rs are also theft magnets (not as bad as the ITR) but have more creature comforts like A/C and leather seats.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
This is a website for the Acura Integra and we have 40,000+ members. Dedicated to one car. You better believe this car is the right choice.

Integra's are very reliable and fun cars. They handle well and with some minor suspension upgrades you can have a car that handles on rails.

Take some time to go over our Articles. Especially the information ones to help you become familiar with the car.

Don't let the common g3 teg problems scare you.

Basically you have to find a teg that is in good condition and was well maintained. With proper maint these cars can go forever.

Information

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, awesome replies. No a/c in the ITR? It has to be an option then right? Or does it really not come with it? All these ITRs in Cali are running with windows down? That's rough.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Oh in case you don't know, ITR also don't have sunroofs while GS-R do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A/C is a must, sunroof is fluff imo. I did consider a WRX, but there is just something special about an Integra. Just a cool car. WRX is kinda quirky though. Hmm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've pretty much narrowed it down to a WRX or a Type-R. Where I live, AWD is deffinetly very nice, and turbos are fun. I like the looks of the R better, not to mention it handles better. Any feedback from those who own an R and own/have owned a WRX? Or even driven one? I've driven a 2004 WRX, and it was fun, but I never really got into boost, was one of my first times driving standard. Prices are very similar between an R and a 2002-2003 WRX.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Well this is an Integra site so it will be unfair.lol

Honestly for an all around car get the ITR. Everyone jumped on the WRX bandwagon, They sound like dump trucks and the Teg is more of a chick magnet =)

I love my teg so much I got another one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Furious is rite...my dad bought a WRX and it is fun as hell, but you also decided that an EVO isnt the way to go because it is so expensive. The WRX is kinda the same in a way. I was in your situation to come extent. I was in college needed a car that was fun to drive cuz im into cars, but sumthin economical. My 95LS gets good gas mileage, is super low maintence ( all i do is keep it oiled, and check major components), but still looks kool and and handles well. Some day when im more fincially secure ill get an R (hence the name)

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Wow an articulate educated mustang owner, no offense towards you but it's a rare thing to see. In any case,If you want luxury and performance the GSR is your way to go,cheaper then the ITR but better suspension and engine than the LS.
The gsr I think out of all the Integras has the most potential to become anything it wants, the compression isint super high like itr so it is a perfect candidate for forced induction, and it has vtec so the all motor potential is very good as well.
The parts are cheaper than the ITR in many cases and more readily avaliable and it is very easy to make these cars ridiculous. As far as the Type R goes, I think the type R is more of a track dedicated car, so if your going to be doing autoX,Road racing, and an occasional drag race then this is your car.
If your lookin to goof around with your friends,suck up v6 mustangs on the street and just generally have a fun street car that can go to the track as well then the GSR is your choice. Not to mention the GSR is usually several thousand dollars cheaper than the ITR and is still very fun to drive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
come on can ANYTHING beat the sound and feel of Vtec kicking in??? go with a type r!! you'll have a great motor, suspension, and great transmission. if you have no interest in boost then the type r is a great n/a car. nice aftermarket for them!!!

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
*cough turbo spooling *cough

·
Registered
130 Posts
My Integra has 278,000+kms on it with the original clutch. The car runs like it's new, no major problems.
I've had it for going on seven years now. I bought it when it wasn't even a year old and had 18,000kms on it.
I'd buy another one in a second. It's a year round car in Canadian weather and it still looks great, too. You won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys. I'm really leaning towards the Integra now. I think ITR v.s. GS-R will come down to location. I'm in Upstate NY, and the car scene isn't exactly booming. Many of the nicer cars are further West, or South. Oh and most of the ITR on autotrader.com are yellow. I want black.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts