Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched through all of the rattle posts and can't seem to find my problem. When accelerating in 1st and 2nd slowly, there is no rattle but when I give it some gas, I hear a rattle from 3 to 4 or 5K rpm. I have a high flow cat and 2.25 mandrel bent custom piping with an N1 style muffler. I had a mechanic take a look at the car and he said that it sounded something like an exhaust leak but could not see one. He suggested putting on a resonator to solve the problem. This seems like a good idea to me as the muffler is a bit loud to begin with. My concern is that it will not fix the problem and I will have added a resonator that impedes air flow. If anyone agrees with this solution, can someone recommend a good resonator or are they all pretty much the same?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking at many of the cat back exhausts, there seem to be resonators or premufflers included. Does anyone know where to buy one of these premufflers seperate? What type is recommended? Thanks in advance to anyone trying to help.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
first off, resonators do NOT restrict exhaust flow. i just wanted to establish that.

as for where to buy a resonator, you can go to any muffler shop and they should have some in different sizes in stock. the size matters - the bigger, the more effective in getting rid of pesky high pitch crap.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
I dont think u can buy one seperately, but you might be able to. If so then they have to cut the old on and re wheld the new one. But I dont think this rattle is because of the resonator, it has to be some sort of heat shield, maybe the shield around the cat?

hope you find your problem.

·
Registered
662 Posts
you said u get a nasty rattle...so a resonator i think would not do you any good...it only dampens the sound of the exhaust..for example if you have a high pitch sounding exhaust which is really loud..then you could get a resonator put in and it would be more quieter and deeper...check if your heat shields are intact and not rubbing anything...listen if its coming from you cat...and check if you muffler is loose...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
by the way, it seems like it's definitely related to your exhaust. i had the same problem a while ago and i found out that my b-pipe had rusted out. replaced the pipe and it's good as new. if the mechanic can't find the rattle, i wouldn't do business with him - expecially when he's trying to talk you into buyind more sh*t from him. another day, another crooked mechanic. go to someone else. they should be able to find where the rattle's coming from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked under the car to see if the heat shield could be a problem and it isn't touching or close to touching anywhere. The problem occured after having the high flow cat, 2.25 SS piping and the muffler installed so nothing is rusted. I also checked to see if the muffler is loose and it is on there with more hangers than the stock muffler. It isn't going anywhere.

As for resonators not restricting airflow... I called up another muffler shop and found out that they can sell me an aftermarket resonator. They said that it had fiberglass "knobs" inside the pipe that dampened the sound and that eventually they would wear down and it would be essentially a test pipe. Any type of "knob" is going to restrict airflow as far as I am concerned. I know that there are other types of resonators that do not restrict airflow like the Magnaflow that Mike mentioned.

Mike, I did look into the Magnaflow earlier and am having a hell of a time finding someone who carries them in my area. I guess I will have to order one. You said that they come in different lengths and diameters. I will need one to fit 2.25 piping but what length and canister diameter would you recommend?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the entire Magna-flow cat-back with the resonator and high flow cat. So far, I've been very pleased with the performance and the sound, and no rattles like you're talking about. I'd go for the resonator.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The bolt-on madrel-bent cat-backs that Magnaflow uses have the resognator built into them. They do use a sort of aftermarket part if you have a pipe bent for you or something, but the one I have already has a resonator built into the system. The Mandrel bent pipes are 2.25" all the way through.
I have a 98 GS - it might be different if you have a GSR or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Silver, I am going to call up a magnaflow distributer and see if they can ship me a resonator. My only problem will be finding my next day off to take my car to the shop and have it put on.

Thanks to everyone else who posted also. When I get it installed(may be a couple weeks) I'll post whether or not it fixed the prob.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
Resonators CAN restrict flow if the inner diameter is smaller. Resonators are meant to cancel out 'bad sounds'...ie muffle frequencies that cause rasping and other undesirable sounds.

Get a high flow muffler instead of a resonator...a bit louder and they flow very well. Dynomax Bullit is a nice one. Just don't get a glasspack.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
TheGSRGuy on Aug/06/02 said:
Resonators CAN restrict flow if the inner diameter is smaller. Resonators are meant to cancel out 'bad sounds'...ie muffle frequencies that cause rasping and other undesirable sounds.

Get a high flow muffler instead of a resonator...a bit louder and they flow very well. Dynomax Bullit is a nice one. Just don't get a glasspack.
no sh*t. if you put a macdonalds straw sized tube in the middle of your exhaust system, of course it's going to be a bottleneck. my statement was assuming the same diameter through the resonator as well.

a resonator is virtually a muffler. DUH! magnaflow is the sh*t. some of cat-backs such as comptech use the magnaflow muffler and resonator in their system. dave at smsp uses magnaflow for his cat backs and hytech uses magnaflow also. magnaflow is affiliated with car sound as well. (a believe magnaflow is a subsidiary of car sound) so with a magnaflow and you can't go wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts