Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up TI,
the time has finally arrived to change my clutch. My clutch has died and i need a new one asap. i want to upgrade my clutch, but i dont even know where to begin. Im boosting my car soon and i want a clutch that will put the power to the ground but still be a daily driver. im going for around 280 whp avg. my car is not drivable at this time and i need it back up asap because i need it for work. i have never really driven a car with an upgraded clutch so all i can go with is the experience from you guys. Any opinions, suggestions or recommendations will be great. i have searched, but not enough to help me decide. Please help.
Shane

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have an ACT streetlite flywheel (12.5 lbs) and an ACT Extreme Pressure Plate with the ACT Street Disc. I have a 00 GSR with I/H/E, S2 IM, VAFC. It was a little hard to get used to the stiffer pedal but it was worth it. Also with the new flywheel you have to rev it a little higher to get the car moving. I have noticed the car revs faster and I can shift must faster. After about a week of driving I got used to the clutch and the only time it bothers me is in bumper to bumper traffic. Definitely a big improvement over my stock set-up.I have had this set-up on for about 7500 miles with no problems at all.

·
Registered
518 Posts
i dont mean to sound like everyone else out there but your gonna have to search this one out i think.
when i needed a new clutch i searched for probably 2 weeks before i decided on a full faced, sprung, kevlar disk and a realativly stock presure plate. my clutch grabs wonderfully and the pedal effort is less than stock. now you also have to learn the down sides from anything you do, i have a friend that works for centerforce here in town and he told me that the kevlar takes longer to heat up, so when you are driving a cold car it wont grab as well. I also believe that he told me that it is harder on the fly and the presure plate. correct me if i am wrong but this is what i understand.
my friend opted to go with a dfx centerforce in his h22a accord but that was only because it was free. i will let you know how that turns out but it may be a while before we are done with his swap.
hope i helped.
peace

edit: if you were wondering i went with a clutchnet clutch and pressure plate and a xact street light fly, they clame 30% over stock holding on this set up and it is so much smoother than stock.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i understand that i need to search this one out, and im trying my best as we speak. But my clutch gave away at last minute and needs to be fixed asap. i dont have time to search for 2 weeks. i wish i had done all the research, but then again how was i supposed to know that this would have happened all of a sudden? im caught between a rock and a hard place. Now i could go with oem parts but since im paying someone to install the clutch i figured i might as well upgrade, which will help with my near future plans.
Shane

·
Registered
518 Posts
what i was saying is that you are gonna have to look at your goals (280 whp? you will also need to know how much torque you are hoping for) and find all the clutches that will fit your needs. then find out how harsh they are and how much pedal effort there is, and choose on your taste.

i recommend staying away form pucks and unsprung disks on daily driven, that is just me but i know of some people that have puck and it is very harsh. granted some people love the feel of instant ingagement.

take it from me, i know you need to fix this right now and dont have tons of time for research, but the best choices we make are the ones we understand. when i first got my car i just got everything without knowing anything about it. now a little over 2 years latter i can tell you, i would change almost everything i did to my car now having the knowlege of what happens when i add X part.

also since you are paying someone to do your clutch and arnt doing it yourself, you want it to be done right the first time. you dont want to buy a clutch that someone tells you hold great on there 140hp na motor, then when you go fi and hit 275hp need another clutch. thats what i am trying to say.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My experience. I just got an Act Heavy Duty Presure Plate along with a Act Prolight flywheel (8.1LBS).

I've had it for about 1500km's.

Experience when I first got in it to drive it. I was shocked by the instant grabbing of the disc. Next thing that caught my attention is how much faster I have to shift because of the revs dropping quickly. It took about a week for me to get used to driving again and I stalled it a couple of times, but I am very happy that I got it.

Now when people say that a lighten flywheel will be harder to use during rush hour I think it's the opposite. I drive in rush hour 5 days a week for an hour each way so 2 hours total and it makes driving fun again. once your in a gear all you gotta do is let off the gas when you want to slow down and step on it again just timing inbetween braking. Starting off doesn't seem as much as a hassle and it gets rid of the low down bog I was experiencing. At first the clutch pedal seemed a little bit stiff, but now that I think about it, it feels just like stock.

I bought my clutch from Slowboy Racing, they had the lowest pricing, even lower than our sponsors and had fast shipping.

I hope that helps you decide.

BTW: I got the AI4-HDSS Clutch Kit the flywheel was extra.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, for all the fast responses, it is helping me out a little, is there any website that you guys know of which compares different clutches, which could help me decide? What about all you FI guys, What are you guys running and why?, how does it feel, Did it meet your standards? My friend is telling me to buy a six puck clutch from this local company that makes them, says the price ranges from 150-200 dollars. Tell me what you guys think.
Shane

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys i have been doing some research and i believe that i want to get the act street/strip disc, but i still cant decide if i want the heavy duty or xtreme pressure plate. How different are these two? Anyone with experience please let me know.
Thanks again

·
The Enforcer!
5,803 Posts
JiGzAcuRa on Feb/22/04 said:
Does anyone have the ACT six puck disk,with hd pressure plate? Would this be too harsh engagement?
6 puck is a bit much if you dont have a need for it. a friend of mine that works as a tech at the honda dealership was telling me that the 6 puck is a great clutch but it ate up the tranny. ive driven a teg with a 6 puck, it was just to much for me. on my 91 teg i had a ACT with street disc and heavy duty pplate. worked just great and now in my current teg i have the same clutch sitting in my room awaiting to be installed (brand new of course).

im just giving you some experiences that i have been though, not numbers

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats good to hear because i wasnt sure about the six puck. I have decided on the street disc, but was the heavy duty pressure plate stiff? if that is already stiff then i dont want to go with the xtreme pp. How come you didnt choose the xtreme pp by the way?

Edit: BTW did you feel a big difference when compared to stock?

·
Registered
41 Posts
clutcxhes hold tourque not horsepower if you are guna be puttin out around 280whp then ur prob just guna need the street/strip organic* disc, with the heavy duty pressure plate, im pretty sure that pressure plate hold up to 280lbs. of tourque. My friend has that setup and he has 370whp in his teg and still grabs, but he has lsd, and the xact pro lite

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.