Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now i have a 1994 GSR with 120k on the motor. I am looking into putting a Turbo on it. The question I have is that my piston ring is going out, leaking oil and I need to get that replaced. So my question to you guys should i put in low compression pistons and connecting rods now and drive daily on it. Or should i buy the turbo kit then put the pistons and connecting rods in. Will drive on that low of compression be bad if I don't have it tuned or will it be ok until i get turbo and hondata. My car is leaking about a quart a week so it's kind of getting annoying. I am looking to get about 300hp out of my car with the turbo on it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Save yourself the head aches and get your engine healthy, before you turbo it. Whether you build it with low compression pistons or stock pistons, get that engine healthy before adding the boost variable.

If you throw in low comp pistons you will need to get it tuned before adding boost. Therefore I would just wait till you're ready to add boost so you will only have to pay for tuning once.

A lot of people like to say "Do it right the first time: Build before adding boost." I think that's BS... Just make sure your engine is healthy before you add boost.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info didn't know what to do with the engine. I think i have lost power since all this my car doesn't pull in the higher rpms like it used to any other information would be appreciated

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yup, your compression in one cyl is F*CKED. Just fix that and while you're in there, put a better head gasket and head stud bolts. Then boosting should be no problem.

300 HP though, you'd have to be running more than 10PSI... Build to low-comp before you get that much goin on..

About 7 psi is safe for stock IF everything checks out. Still 220hp...

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Vtec_Sound on Feb/04/06 said:
Yup, your compression in one cyl is F*CKED. Just fix that and while you're in there, put a better head gasket and head stud bolts. Then boosting should be no problem.

300 HP though, you'd have to be running more than 10PSI... Build to low-comp before you get that much goin on..

About 7 psi is safe for stock IF everything checks out. Still 220hp...
All of this post is pretty messed up....

A stock headgasket is great.... just add headstuds.

You don't need 10psi to get 300whp.... see my sig below

I ran my stock block to 360whp for one dyno pull only.... so the GSR block is pretty strong. I'm not saying that it will last that long like that though.

Read up a little before you make comments like that again. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks what i was planning to do is put low compression pistons in the block with forged connecting rods with that too. Also arp bolts and head gasket so all with this could i get 300hp. But would it be bad on the motor to run low compression pistons that would not be tuned or should i just do it all at once.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The stock map will not work for low compression pistons... you will be in need of a specially tuned map.

Also how low of a CR are you planning to go with your pistons?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aalb1 on Feb/04/06 said:
The stock map will not work for low compression pistons... you will be in need of a specially tuned map.

Also how low of a CR are you planning to go with your pistons?
umm haven't figured that out yet somewhere between 8.5.1 to 9 i know i will need a specially tuned map. I am buying a hondata tomrrow with boost option and was planning to get it tuned with my car so that won't be a problem

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TheShodan on Feb/05/06 said:
Never did like those 8.5:1 setups on GS-Rs. Especially if keeping response was key, but that also depends upon the turbos CFM efficiency ranges.
Well i thought lower is always better but read up on it and will probly go 9.1.1 compression. I found a deal on ebay for low compression pistons, connecting rods and arp head bolts for 700.00 so i will probly be getting that soon.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The only thing helpful I can add is I'm pretty sure you will need to boost more to get the same hp with lower compression pistons. Chris did it with the stock ones. What are GSRs' compressions stock? around 10.5? and you are going to 8.5. Am I making sense?

·
Registered
103 Posts
aalb1 on Feb/03/06 said:
Save yourself the head aches and get your engine healthy, before you turbo it. Whether you build it with low compression pistons or stock pistons, get that engine healthy before adding the boost variable.

If you throw in low comp pistons you will need to get it tuned before adding boost. Therefore I would just wait till you're ready to add boost so you will only have to pay for tuning once.

A lot of people like to say "Do it right the first time: Build before adding boost." I think that's BS... Just make sure your engine is healthy before you add boost.
get it healthy to blow it up? put in on now and then when she blows build it. Go to homemadeturbo.com to talk about turbos.They are a much better sorce for a budget-built car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.