Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a GSR, i want to go turbo, ive read up on it here and looked at articles, i have no clue on what anyone is saying, please, im an idiot, if it was yours stock, how would you go about going turbo, pretend money isnt a issue, how do i do it, sorry for such a broad question but i dont know anything

·
Registered
3 Posts
I turbocharged my g2 LS/Vtec and talk about a PITA. If I had it to do over I'd probably go direct port nitrous. Less of a hassle.
Skip the kits, buy individual parts, I like:

Tial 35 mm wastegate
Garrett t3/t4e hybrid turbo
HKS SSQ blow off valve
inline pro, cast stainless steel manifold.
At least 450cc injectors, can get used from DSM guys for cheap
air to air Intercooler take your pick, one that fits.
Hondata stage 2b
Intercooler Mandrel bent piping from JCwhitney
Make friends with a welder for your bov, downpipe,etc
Earls SS lines and fittings for oil feed and return
You'll need a new clutch to handle all the power you're going to put down.

Do a lot of research. Good fuel and timing management is key. In my opinion stay away from turbonetics turbos and rising rate FPR (FMUs).

hit up http://www.honda-tech.com, forced induction board.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You will definately need an fmu. Vortech super Fmu is good. you can use a regular fmu if you have a safc. Make sure to get some engine mounts too. The bosch blow off valve is $40 and holds up to 25 psi continuousely.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What is wrong with turbonetics, just out of curiosity, I have it on my car and its running pretty good. I've never dealt with any other turbos though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have to dissagree. I learned the phrase "KISS" early on and whevever I give people turbo advise I always refer to it. KISS stands for "Keep It Simple Stupid."

being that u r a first time turbo owner and pretty new to it I would want to pick up an off the shelf turbo kit. You wont have to worry about picking out all the parts and finding people to weld for u. But u will still need to do some research. There are always gonna be a few small things that u will want to upgrade when buying a kit.

My turbo kits of choice: in order
1) Revhard s2
2) Drag 3
3) Revhard s2
4) Drag 3
and so on....

IMO. I am a bigger fan of the revhard over the drag because of its better manifold design and larger intercooler along w/ 57 trim wheel on the turbo. but both are good. the revhard kit does NOT come with an intake. you will need to get creative and make one.

a basic revhard kit comes with these parts:

Rev Hard Cast Steel Tubular(no AC)
optional Cast Iron Manifold(w/ AC)
Rev Hard NUTEC T3/T04E Hybrid Turbo eff. to 450hp
Rev Hard 2C Intercooler
Deltagate (9-12psi)-(swap this for tial)
Vortec Blow Off Valve
2.5" Aluminum Charge Pipe
2.5" Downpipe
2.25" Aluminzed Mandrel Bent Piping
Progressive Type Fuel Regulator -(called a vortech 12:1 FMU)
High Volume Fuel Pump
Purosil Hoses & Clamps
Steel Braided -3 Oil Line
Oil Return Line-(u swap this, i explain later)
High Pressure Fuel Line
High Pressure Silicon Hose
Neccessary Vacuum Tee's
Neccessary Vacuum Lines

drag 3 kit is bascially the same but w/ either you wanna make sure you upgrade these items:

1)get a tial wastegate, the deltagate is standard on the kits and these wastegates have been famous for spiking and blowing up honda motors for years. they are commonly called "deltaspikes" and "sh*tgates"

2)the oil return line that comes with the kits suck. They made a huge price cut here and its obvious when u look at the set up. the stock returns are famous for coming loose and leaking oil. Get urself a set of earls fittings and some -10 SS line like filetofit mentioned above. Its pretty much bullet proof against leaking.

after that the kit is pretty complete. then u need ur add ons. ur gonna need:

GUAGES-

1)boost guage- autometer works but is the cheap way to go. If u want to accuratly read ur boost your gonna need to spend extra cash here and pick up either greddy, apex-i, blitz and theres a few others I cant think of.

2)a/f or EGT- if u r going cheap route on guages just get an autometer a/f. its pretty much just a light show but it does tell u whether or not u r rich/lean. I went with the EGT guage, its more complicated to read but you can tell alot more about the vital signs of ur car using an EGT then an a/f. It can inform u of increased load, rich/lean mixtures, advance/retard of timing.

3)I wouldnt bother with fuel pressure or oil pressure guages. as long as ur kit is installed correctly using quality parts you should never have a problem.

Clutch- ill leave that research up to u. just get whatever clutch u like that will support the power.

Boost controller- a boost controller will help spool time and allow u to adjust the boost level. I have a manual and for 75$ u cant beat this boost controller. electronic ones are nice but id rather spend my 400$ elsewhere.

Missing link- this is just a supporting part that you will need to have so ur ECU doesnt throw a code when u start boosting. basically it sits in the way of ur map sensor and blocks it from reading boost, it performs the same function as check valves but looks alot prettier.

Exhaust- If u want to make good power with the least amount of noise id reccomend a 2.5" exhaust. If u want to make Max power and can stand a lil extra noise, go with a 3". even at low boost it helps spool time and peak power.

Test Pipe- back pressure is the enemy of a turbo. getting rid of the cat will not only add hp but it will increase spool time as well. Back pressure creates heat, heats causes detonation, so if u think about it, your saving yourself a blown motor by cutting the cat. If you want to keep the enviorment clean dont go turbo. honestly, at idle/part throttle id be willing to bet the car runs just as clean without cats and at WOT I doubt the cat can hardly do its job. plus, u will have an external wastegate which dumps off illegal emmisions anyway. For OBD 2 cars u will need to swap to an OBD 1 ECU if you want to run a test pipe, you can get 02 simulators but they dont work 100%. If u dont get either item then ur ECU will throw codes and set ur check engine light off.

Tuning- When simply bolting on a turbo kit there is not alot to tune. You still need to put it on a dyno to see what your a/f looks like and nice to know how much power you are making. Also if something is incorrect or installed wrong, it may not show up on the street but you will probably notice on the dyno. Make sure you retard your distributor about 2 degrees as well. Simply bolting on a kit with the proper supporting parts you should make about 250whp w/ 180tq @ 7psi on a stock GSR motor.

At that point you will have a simple, reliable set up that will make Good power and have lots of potential for upgrades when u r ready.

on the subject of the vortech FMU and hondata.
I would not reccomend hondata to a first timer. I have this product and love it, but it was alot of work to get installed and running right. In the beginning you want to keep things as simple as possible and the FMU is just plain old simple. As long as u keep the boost low(below 8psi) and run the proper fuel pump(inline high pressure pump) the FMU/stock injector set up can be very reliable. I ran the FMU for just under a year on my car and never had a problem with it. Hondata is nice(im making 274/237 @ 12psi with it on a stock motor) but for boost below 8psi it is just more work and more money then u need to spend.

Also, the best 30$ you could possibly spend when going turbo- Pick up a copy of the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. After reading this book you will have the confidence to own a turbo car, install a turbo kit, and understand why no engine should be without a turbo. I found mine at barnes and noble locally but here is a link to purchase it online. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...26726/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-4985600-1387122

that should help you get started and then some. now just do more research.

chris

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
wow... i love it when other people do my homework....

·
Registered
216 Posts
so how much would a "beginners" kit like the one you describe cost DIRep972?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Yes, now thats what im talkin about DIRep972, can I copy and paste that so I dont have to type my own next time someone needs help like this?

·
Registered
320 Posts
hey DIRep972 do you know of any other books beside the Maximum Boost book that would be good for someone that is new and trying to learn??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts