Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just change my oil yesterday night.....stupid b/c it started getting dark and i could barely see. I drained my oil before it got dark and when it was dark i attempted to remove the filter. Took a while but i sucessfully completed the removal and install of the filter. So i started to poor the new synthetic oil i bought....i think some might of spilled. At least I hope b/c my engine started to smoke the next day as i drove my teg. It wasn't a constant smoke that didn't stop.....it came and went. It smells like oil burning but i'm not sure, anyone have any other suggestion of what it could be that's smoking?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Yeah, look to see if there is any oil on hot parts of the engine/exhaust. Don't sweat it, most likely it just has to burn off, no biggie.

If you don't like it that much and you find out where it is, take a rag and wipe it off, and enjoy a smoke free ride.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You guys should buy a oil filter relocator, I love this thing!! Makes changing oil a snap! Mines is located near my brake resavoir.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i finally think i found the solution. I went under my teg today and found massive oil leakage so i wiped it all clean. After i cleaned the oil mess under my engine, i took off the filter and found the rubber around the old filter was still on. I ripped that sucker off then replaced the filter. Soon after i checked my oil level. It seemed pretty low so i added some more. I went to pepboys to get some oil then jacked up my teg just to make sure nothing else was leaking. I saw another oil mess but it wasn't as bad as the first one. I reached for the filter and it was clean, no leakage. So i guess everything is fine. Later on i found the oil reaching the second dot on the dip stick, is that good?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The way to make sure you don't get oil on your exhaust is to put a shop rag under the oil filter when you take it off.. I've never had an ounce of oil drip on the exhaust since than. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
So it was the old filter gasket, glad you found out whats wrong! Make sure the filter is secure too, obviously if its too loose it will leak.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I tried putting a rag on my exhaust while taking my filter off and it still gushed oil everywhere ... how much are these filter re-locators ?? I wouldent mind one of those as long as it uses standard filters...

integragsr6: did you remember to kiss the filters together? that could be why it leaked .... you take your old filter and kiss it with the new one (rubber to rubber action .. hehe) .. my old high school shop teacher gave me that tip and it's always done me right... it helps create a seal between the filer and motor..

also, if you have trouble taking off a filter.. get a nice sharp/long screw driver and hammer and punch the screw driver throught the old filter (all the way through the other side) and then twist the screw driver.. it's alot easier than tryign to get a grip on a oily smooth filter..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts