Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my friend works at best buy and he can get me a rockford fostgate component set for the front and 6x9 in the rear for 120 with his discount. they sound pretty good but i wasnt overly impressed. only bad thing is they were the best soundin speakers they had there. option 2 is i found a good deal on crystal speakers, same setup for about 200 plus shipping. only thing is i cant find anyone locally that sells crystal so i can see what they sound like in person. ive heard that they are really good but im not sure if i should buy something becuase of someone else sayin they sound really good. what do you guys think? RF or crystal?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My suggestion make sure you listen to a speaker before you buy it...sound is relative so good to one person might sound horrid to someone else...look around town and when you find a speaker/component set you like start looking online...and ebay should be fine as long as it says new and not refurb or any other variant.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
if i may ask where you can get the crystals for a good deal from? if it is just sounddamain.com it isnt really a good deal, not bad, but not great either...i want a set of their 3 -way components (7"mid-basses, 4" mids, and 1" tweeters) and the lowest i can find them is 209 plus shipping...and i still need rear speakers

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
[Im not a fan of Audio from bestbuy sometimes but that's just me]

E-tronics.com has some stuff on there (pretty much everything electronic) audio/video/etc (Not just for cars, they range from DJ Equipment, to Cameras.)

I have purchased things from that site before. Received my items in like 2 days, they get stuff out quick.

- Josh

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I am cool with best buy, but thats got to be because I sold and installed there for 5.5 years :)

and are you sure you need 6x9's in the back....

·
Registered
261 Posts
check out the alpine type r component speakers they come with 2 6 1/2 speakers and 2 tweeters. The reproduction that these speakers made of a favorite song of mine was really impressive. The reason I say this is my father drives a Lexus and I think his stock premium stereo for a long time was one of the best. But now hearing these speakers I know that even not have the adequite spacing for the sound waves to travel it still will kick A**!

·
Registered
137 Posts
which RF are you checking out?

if its the RF FNX components, they are pretty good for the buck. i have 5.25" powered by a phoenix gold zx350 and it sounds wonderful.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If I may offer my experience in car audio ('bout 8 years worth)and that I make my living with electronics and communications in the military to help with your delema.
I strongly agree with Josh about NOT putting a multi way 6X9 in your car. I won't get into the origin of the speaker but suffice it to say you don't want high frequencies comming from behind you. You want your sound stage infront of you. High freqs. are very directional and the more you have behind you the more your sound stage will be moved from front to rear.
That being said if you have any x-overs be it amplifier, stand alone or head unit based you can partially compensate for lack of sound quality of the speaker. A speaker is mearly a transducer with takes an electric signal and converts it to a signal we can hear (moving air). A speaker can "really" only sound as good as the source.
Certaily buy a good speaker set up but if you put a poor signal in you'll get poor output.
The best systems for the money I have designed where a good component set up front, a plain mid base driver in the rear and what ever you decide to do for sub-bass (10" have proven to be most "accurate"). This works really well with either a single or multi amp set up.
I hope that this can help or atleast give you some ideas. I've seen many people spend alot money and not get the best results.
If I can help more let me know.

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that does help a lot, when you say plain mid base driver in the rear, im pretty sure i know what you mean but could you give an example of one just so i can be sure? and this system will be subless as i just sold my sub and 2 channel amp i had in there to fund for my full range speakers. when i bought the car they already crackled a bit and now they are just blown. for the source, im runnin a pioneer 6400. im also thinkin of ampin the setup further down the road.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A "mid base driver" is just the tweakie way of saying a speaker whos sole purpose is to repoduce mid range frequencies (say 120hz-1k). You have a 6.5" speaker back there so the best bet is to always insulate the speaker from the metal either with medite (high density fibre board) or Accumat and find a stand alone speaker (no tweeter) or a componant set and sell the tweeter to one of your budds.
one other point worth mentioning is to make SURE you BREAK YOUR SPEAKERS IN! This will greatly improve the life and performance of your speakers. A good way to do this is run your radio at moderate volume for a long period of time at a moderate volume on a static channel.
The hardest part is don't crank it for about 2-3 weeks.
Tough to do but worth it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
what are you planning to do, are you getting a sub or just running speakers? try to stay away from any metal tweeters, they sound very harsh. getting midrange for the rear is a good idea, if you have too much highs coming from the rear, it will totally mess up your front sound stage. it also depends on how it sounds in your car, speakers will sound much different in your car than in a display wall. let me know what you plan to do as far as buying more in the future

1 - 14 of 14 Posts