Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats happening guys. I'm Dave. I own a couple of Hondas Accords 93. Both EX Model. Love em both. Getting ready to purchase an Integra for my 17 almost 18 year old. I am searching our local Bay Area CraigsList.org http://sfbay.craigslist.org The Integra is a hard one for me to pick out. For one I don't know the values of them as some of you do. The parts value for one. Many of them are Salvage titles (I thought a salvage title meant they are not worth as much because the mileage for one could not be confirmed. And also you don't know what the car has been through) I don't know though. A lot of people have spent a lot of money on extra parts for their Salvage title cars. Sometimes they have new paint jobs also. Maybe the money they spent on parts and paint jobs make the price they are asking justifiable. I need help guys!!! If anyone has a chance to look on CraigsList and tell me what looks like a good deal or any info you guys may have. I would greatly appreciate the help. I am hoping to spend $4500 Maybe a little more.
Here is one I am looking at.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/431522531.html
What do you guys think? Good deal or not? He says he will sale for $5200 I offered $4500 and he said he would sale for $4500 with the stock hood and a different set of wheels. It's a 200 mile round trip to see it. Waiting to here from you guys. I'm hoping you guys will pull through for my son Jeremy and I. Thanks for the help. Dave

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
dude salvage title means that it was wrecked, and repaired to a certifiable state. Those cars are worth WAY less than one with a clean title. Its hard to sell salvage title cars because its hard to get financed on one.
If you do buy an integra, look into a 98-00 LS or GS... they are very good looking, and will be just as quick as your 17 year old needs. A GSR or typeR may turn him into one of us... lol.

find one with ~90k to ~120k miles on it for a price in that area.
good luck in your search. your kid will fall in love with his teg.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
also, it seems as if hes done a 98+ conversion on it, and left the amber corner tail lights.
the wheels are either drag dr-15's or rota gt3s
thats a typeR spoiler, dont know if its OEM or not... take it with the stock hood, cf hoods drop the cars value and oxidize over time. If the miles are good and the car runs good, id say go for it. its a nice looking car.

·
Registered
129 Posts
id also get him a ls or gs or rs. cheaper insurance and is a great starting point. if he gets into it he can always get a vtec head and if he still needs more slap a turbo on it. depends on the kid tho. if he really likes it do him and yourelf a favor and get him a gsr.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well first off i just wanna say how awesome it is you're buying your son a Teg! Also that you are the one looking and not him... nice guy..
Anyways.. The purpose behind salvage laws is to put someone on notice that a vehicle has been severely damaged or declared a total loss at some point in its history. In the U.S., salvage laws are governed by state law, and there is no federal salvage law which applies uniformly to vehicles across the country. Therefore, whether a car is required to be titled as a salvage vehicle is entirely dependent upon each state's laws.
The one you're looking at was a rebuild from shell..Says it has a GSR Shell and tranny but a LS motor.. So i dont know if it would still be a GSR with a 140hp LS motor... The kbb value of a 94 LS with 100,000 miles on in good condition is 3,800. and a salvaged title usually deducts from the value too. I wouldn't think i'd pay 4500 for a 94 ls with a salvaged title and then him taking the rims and hood... id say 4200 then the rims and hood would make up for a salvaged title..
I paid 4500 for my 97 with only one owner and had ALL maintenance records and was in perfect cond... so this car being 3 years below mine and not knowing how many owners it had... id be iffy, id defiantly want to talk him down to 4200 thats 400 over kbb and i've heard ppl saying they wouldn't pay but 60% of the blue book value.. thats like 1500 off then plus the 400 over what its worth is like 1900 more then other ppl would offer so he should be leaving everything as is and take 4200. plus you dont know what kind of workmanship this guy has..
If you are considering buying a vehicle which has been salvage branded, realize that the brand can mean vastly different things depending on the state in which it was salvaged. Looking into the salvage history may produce valuable information. The vehicle might have been a recovered stolen vehicle without any damage at all. Or, it might have been virtually demolished and rebuilt. If it is a rebuild, make certain you investigate your state's rebuild inspection requirements because passing the inspection is not always a guarantee that the vehicle is safe to drive.

What city and state are you from?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Adidasone456 on Sep/27/07 said:
Well first off i just wanna say how awesome it is you're buying your son a Teg! Also that you are the one looking and not him... nice guy..
Anyways.. The purpose behind salvage laws is to put someone on notice that a vehicle has been severely damaged or declared a total loss at some point in its history. In the U.S., salvage laws are governed by state law, and there is no federal salvage law which applies uniformly to vehicles across the country. Therefore, whether a car is required to be titled as a salvage vehicle is entirely dependent upon each state's laws.
The one you're looking at was a rebuild from shell..Says it has a GSR Shell and tranny but a LS motor.. So i dont know if it would still be a GSR with a 140hp LS motor... The kbb value of a 94 LS with 100,000 miles on in good condition is 3,800. and a salvaged title usually deducts from the value too. I wouldn't think i'd pay 4500 for a 94 ls with a salvaged title and then him taking the rims and hood... id say 4200 then the rims and hood would make up for a salvaged title..
I paid 4500 for my 97 with only one owner and had ALL maintenance records and was in perfect cond... so this car being 3 years below mine and not knowing how many owners it had... id be iffy, id defiantly want to talk him down to 4200 thats 400 over kbb and i've heard ppl saying they wouldn't pay but 60% of the blue book value.. thats like 1500 off then plus the 400 over what its worth is like 1900 more then other ppl would offer so he should be leaving everything as is and take 4200. plus you dont know what kind of workmanship this guy has..
If you are considering buying a vehicle which has been salvage branded, realize that the brand can mean vastly different things depending on the state in which it was salvaged. Looking into the salvage history may produce valuable information. The vehicle might have been a recovered stolen vehicle without any damage at all. Or, it might have been virtually demolished and rebuilt. If it is a rebuild, make certain you investigate your state's rebuild inspection requirements because passing the inspection is not always a guarantee that the vehicle is safe to drive.

What city and state are you from?
Ya man He is right. I bought my 98 LS Integra with little under 100,000 miles and a rebuilt title for 2,800 and it looks great and runs good till this day, but some (very few) insurance company will not insure a car with a rebuilt title. Don’t get me wrong there are a lot that do. Ex my original insurance State Farm who insured my 91 Accord would not insure my Integra. But Gieco would. But in the end its up to you. I don’t regret my decision at all

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i bought my gsr for 4k with a clear title i guess i didnt do so bad. and why would a cf hood drop value when it increses look and ther not cheap either. but no matter what buy what u like, that is a good milano red ride for sure

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
No not at all Cody.

If in the VIN is says DC2 that's a GSR/ITR. DC4= LS,GS, RS.

If it has a DC4 chassis and a GSR motor it's still an LS, just swapped with a GSR motor.

What parts exactly?

And to the OP, if it's salvaged, it's most likely due to theft, because it doesn't look to be wrecked at all. If you're car savvy, check it out. If not, get someone you trust or a local in your area from this site to come check it out. Hell I would go but you're way too far away.

It's a clean car, I would go for it if everything checked out. A good way to check is to get a carfax report on it. Go to Carfax.com, buy the report for like $20 bucks and run the VIN. $20 is nothing when shopping for a car, you gotta be sure!

Try to get $5k for everything, and tell him to give you the stock hood in addition to the CF Hood, just in case your son doesn't want the CF Hood, in which case sell it and make a profit!

Good luck and get your son on TI so he could learn some good stuff!!!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I wouldn't buy that much car for a son that young, honestly. I got my first Integra, a GS-R, when I was 17. I bought it myself but that still didn't stop me from driving way faster than sanity should have dictated. It's the kid in a candy store theory. I'd put him in an RS/LS/SE/GS. I had no tickets before buying mine but Integras have their special way of making your right foot itch and, to a 17-year-old boy, a GS-R from dad is too much candy store for the calorie requirement at hand. I'd know, I'm on my 3rd one and if I could do it again, I wouldn't have owned a GS-R in such good shape at 17. I was a hazard to myself and if that car brings it out of a girl, just look at it demographically... :(

·
Registered
627 Posts
hey, not to discoruage anyone from buying a teg, but are we talking about the type of person who is willing to deal with the worst downside...the theft? that is something that needs to be considered before you do anything. an integra can get stolen any day of the week, and precautions must be made to keep them somewhat safe. i also agree about the non-vtec teg...it will lower everything (insurance, price, etc)...including the chance of it getting stolen. good luck with everything, and 4,500 should land you a really nice car...you just need to keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think that's a very good price, I Guarentee you if he's your average teenager that likes cars, he will love a Integra!! i got a ls integra for my first car and i think i'll stick with integras 4 life.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
If your serious about buying it you could always take it to your mechanic and have him test the motor, they have computers, leakdown test.. and soo on to tell you how worth a motor is before you buy. just a FYI. But a great 1st car that is great on gas and will last a life time if taken care of properly. Also might want to add your son to this site and let him do some reading and I bet he will never want another car.

·
Registered
379 Posts
nah man, having a gsr with an ls engine will make **** hard to find. if i were you, id look for a stock gsr (98-01) that way you'de KNOWit hasnt been thrashed on.

good luck though
and consider milage if your gonna run your engien hard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh man I have been looking and the 98-00 Integras. They are bucks here in the SF Bay Area. For a 98 GSR at 120k they want at least $7500. And for a 98-00 GL or GS with 120k They want $5000 and up.
I found a few 98 and 99 Tegs that don't look to legit. For around $4500-$5500.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish he would like a 98-00 Honda Accord. I have seen real nice ones for around $4500 Black 2 door. Some with VTech motors. Leather seats and all. But he doesn't want an Accord. I like how they are a little bigger car myself.
As far as people ripping them off. I know about that. They stole my Honda a year ago. one week later.
We found it in a court 2 blocks away. Stereo etc. missing. They came back for it a few months ago. But by then I had set up a Security Camera System. I chased them off!!! Here is a link to the video. If you want to check it out.
http://fototime.com/58831F27E992156/conv.wmv

Also very Important. ALWAYS PULL YOUR COMPUTER FUSE. I put a piece of electrical tape folded over on mine. And I pull it out every night. Small price to pay for coming out in the morning and there's my baby still sitting there. Ready to take me on my 100 mile round trip to work and back. Been doing it for 22 years. And will never buy any other commuter car other than a Honda. Or Acura. I keep a set of Michelin Ex altos V rated on that car. 16's. Also I got the alarm that the car came with working. Its a Clifford Bullet 2. Take care all. Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.