Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got into a front end accident in my 4dr 2001 GS-R with 188k miles. It is looking like it will be totaled. I need advice on what to do with it. I have no experience welding or with body/metal work but am willing to learn, I can't go through a body shop, it will cost too much and at that point it isn't worth fixing it for me personally. So I have a few options, I could try and learn to fix it myself, there is a guy near me with like 20 integras in his backyard I could source the parts from, but the damage extends into the frame, a small portion of it buckled on the left side near where the radiator support goes into the frame, and the radiator support, radiator, and a few hoses are bent back and bowed in along with the support itself being cracked in the middle. The other option is I could buy it back, and I have two paths from there. Sell it as a complete car, or take the engine out and swap it into something else, whether it be a civic or another integra, I'm not sure. I am a teenager willing to do anything new or learn to do something, I am very passionate about cars and pretty devestated my first car ended up like this, and I feel guilty taking another gs-r off of the road, any advice is appreciated, thanks guys.
And If anyone wants to buy it I am in NC.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sell it, get another one. If you're not willing to have a professional due due the body work, then you're just opening yourself up for failure with the safety and the rigidity of the front end.
Do you think I should buy it back and rip the engine out to put into another chassis, or just completely scrap it, it is a B18-C1 so the engine is worth something.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
Do you think I should buy it back and rip the engine out to put into another chassis, or just completely scrap it, it is a B18-C1 so the engine is worth something.
Why buy something back when you already have it? You only need to do that if you follow through with the claim and they total it. Just because you filed a claim, doesn't mean you can't retract the claim after they tell you they're going to total it. Wait for them to give you an answer on what they're going to do, then decide if you want to follow through with it. It's not like you're going to get a huge amount of money for a 188K mile Integra.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why buy something back when you already have it? You only need to do that if you follow through with the claim and they total it. Just because you filed a claim, doesn't mean you can't retract the claim after they tell you they're going to total it. Wait for them to give you an answer on what they're going to do, then decide if you want to follow through with it. It's not like you're going to get a huge amount of money for a 188K mile Integra.
I thought that so long as insurance knew the car was totaled, they had to see it through getting fixed. Not sure I'll call the insurance tonight, but also can you transfer the title of a shell? if I went the taking out the engine route, I had a turbo build in the works anyways, here, if you care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4-door GSRs are somewhat rare, you should get a good insurance payout for it, even with the mileage. Definitely higher than a 2-door GSR. I had a 4-door GSR totaled and got back almost what I had paid for it, even after driving it 5 years. I think the value was within $1k of what I had paid. They hold their value well due to that rarity. Find some comps to send the adjuster to show the value of the 4-door, and the rarity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently got into a front end accident in my 4dr 2001 GS-R with 188k miles. It is looking like it will be totaled. I need advice on what to do with it. I have no experience welding or with body/metal work but am willing to learn, I can't go through a body shop, it will cost too much and at that point it isn't worth fixing it for me personally. So I have a few options, I could try and learn to fix it myself, there is a guy near me with like 20 integras in his backyard I could source the parts from, but the damage extends into the frame, a small portion of it buckled on the left side near where the radiator support goes into the frame, and the radiator support, radiator, and a few hoses are bent back and bowed in along with the support itself being cracked in the middle. The other option is I could buy it back, and I have two paths from there. Sell it as a complete car, or take the engine out and swap it into something else, whether it be a civic or another integra, I'm not sure. I am a teenager willing to do anything new or learn to do something, I am very passionate about cars and pretty devestated my first car ended up like this, and I feel guilty taking another gs-r off of the road, any advice is appreciated, thanks guys.
And If anyone wants to buy it I am in NC.
Those cars are very hard to find now. I hope I could give you advice but I am not a mechanic nor an insurance adjuster. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4-door GSRs are somewhat rare, you should get a good insurance payout for it, even with the mileage. Definitely higher than a 2-door GSR. I had a 4-door GSR totaled and got back almost what I had paid for it, even after driving it 5 years. I think the value was within $1k of what I had paid. They hold their value well due to that rarity. Find some comps to send the adjuster to show the value of the 4-door, and the rarity.
My mom is calling insurance today. I'm trying to avoid totaling the car if I can. I went to a shop yesterday and talked for a bit. Left with a quote to get just the radiator support and the little frame crinkle fixed, I think it cost a little under 3k. (The part of the frame that is damaged is not structural, so the shop said they could just pull it out). The plan is to use that quote, and if they want to pay it, boom let them pay it and my car stays clean. If they want to total it, I'll work with the adjuster, get the money, and get it fixed with the same shop. I am confident I can put in a new rad, I've already taken off the bumper, hood, and headlights, all I need done is the metalwork (I can't weld for ****). It just seems like StateFarm can't give us any information, and nobody can give us a definitive answer what the car is worth to insurance, they won't even tell us. I'm lost and I feel like I'm getting screwed over by the system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A rule of thumb for insurance companies: If the cost of the repair meets and/or exceeds 80% of the vehicle's value, they'll total it. For older cars, the percentage could be even lower such as 70%-75%. They can make more $$$ totaling it, and auctioning it for salvage.
Good news, worked it out with insurance today, car is getting repaired normally they gave us $3,600 dollars to get it done. No total, thanks anyone who responded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts