Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so lately my 96 integra has been acting up struggling to accelerate, it idles fine, it drives good on cold start & obviously gets worse as I drive it. so far I’ve replaced the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel filter & a buddy of mine had an extra distributor with cap & rotor so I put that in, it already has new plugs & plug wires, at this point im lost… could it be a map or tps or anything else,

·
Registered
29 Posts
it could very well be the map or tps. get a paper clip and insert it into the tps connector so you can read the voltage off it. then take a DVOM and test to see whether its got .47v at idle to 4.5v at wide open throttle. also slowly work the throttle butterfly from closed to open and see if you have any dead spots throughout. i doubt yours is the tps though because you would be getting hesitation and bogging at particular throttle positions cold or hot but still check it. you would have to look up how to test the map sensor but i do remember you need a obd2 code reader that shows live data. you also need to replace your o2 sensor if its really old and possibly your catalytic converter could be plugged. i have never heard of a cat causing issues only when warm though but i could be wrong. im having the same issue as you on my 2000 gs-r and i have replaced nearly the whole damn car. my issue seems to be weak connections at the alternator or a failing voltage regulator. i have ordered a new one which i hope fixes it. you should definitely go over all your electrical wiring and check for corroded wires at the battery and possibly sand down your grounds. with your issue get a voltmeter if you dont already and find a service manual and start running through your wires to check continuity and resistance. otherwise you might end up like me with nearly $1k spent and no fix. still though its not all bad cause once it is fixed you wont have to worry about any of that stuff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it could very well be the map or tps. get a paper clip and insert it into the tps connector so you can read the voltage off it. then take a DVOM and test to see whether its got .47v at idle to 4.5v at wide open throttle. also slowly work the throttle butterfly from closed to open and see if you have any dead spots throughout. i doubt yours is the tps though because you would be getting hesitation and bogging at particular throttle positions cold or hot but still check it. you would have to look up how to test the map sensor but i do remember you need a obd2 code reader that shows live data. you also need to replace your o2 sensor if its really old and possibly your catalytic converter could be plugged. i have never heard of a cat causing issues only when warm though but i could be wrong. im having the same issue as you on my 2000 gs-r and i have replaced nearly the whole damn car. my issue seems to be weak connections at the alternator or a failing voltage regulator. i have ordered a new one which i hope fixes it. you should definitely go over all your electrical wiring and check for corroded wires at the battery and possibly sand down your grounds. with your issue get a voltmeter if you dont already and find a service manual and start running through your wires to check continuity and resistance. otherwise you might end up like me with nearly $1k spent and no fix. still though its not all bad cause once it is fixed you wont have to worry about any of that stuff
Yeah my boy had an extra tps & map sensor off his old integra & we even calibrated the tps & it was doing good at first but started acting up again

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah my boy had an extra tps & map sensor off his old integra & we even calibrated the tps & it was doing good at first but started acting up again
well it would be worth checking your alternator output, the green connector to it, and the alternator to battery wire. on my gs-r i just figured out my issue as being a alternator going out. its been struggling to accelerate for 2 months now but only after it gets hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well it would be worth checking your alternator output, the green connector to it, and the alternator to battery wire. on my gs-r i just figured out my issue as being a alternator going out. its been struggling to accelerate for 2 months now but only after it gets hot.
Ok will do , will keep u updated thanks man

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine would fine, until I needed to accelerate on to an on-ramp. It just didn't accelerate over 40 mph.
My cat was clogged. I gutted it and it ran great. I bought an oem cat and everything continued to be fine, until I clogged that 2nd cat. I was losing 1 qt. of oil every 7 - 800 miles. I replaced the motor and got my 3rd cat, 20,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine would fine, until I needed to accelerate on to an on-ramp. It just didn't accelerate over 40 mph.
My cat was clogged. I gutted it and it ran great. I bought an oem cat and everything continued to be fine, until I clogged that 2nd cat. I was losing 1 qt. of oil every 7 - 800 miles. I replaced the motor and got my 3rd cat, 20,000 miles ago.
I had a issue that was very similar to yours only was due to a sticking vtec solenoid. my issue had a lot more problems than just lack of acceleration though. luckily mine doesnt burn oil unless im in vtec a lot which i have read is normal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok so update, I disconnected the o2 sensor under the fire wall & now it runs great, was the problem the o2 sensor ?
cant say for certain but if you try reconnecting it and it still drives good then no. i would say if its a old o2 sensor that just replacing it would still be for the best. and dont buy any of that bosch garbage, go to autozone and get a denso o2. the denso ones are about the same price if not less and are a direct OE replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cant say for certain but if you try reconnecting it and it still drives good then no. i would say if its a old o2 sensor that just replacing it would still be for the best. and dont buy any of that bosch garbage, go to autozone and get a denso o2. the denso ones are about the same price if not less and are a direct OE replacement.
ok sounds good I will keep u updated

1 - 10 of 10 Posts