Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GSR - Teg and I blown the motor last month. I'm looking into swapping motors and I was wondering which motor has the best value for swapping.

I have two choices, either I buy back the original motor or I can get an ITR motor.

The few things that I don't know is, if I were to swap an ITR in, what do I have to change?

-Transmission
-ECU
-Wirings

would it cost alot more to swap an ITR instead of an original? Is it worth it or should I just buy the original engine instead?

I'm thinking of reselling the car and the reason I'm thinking about ITR is so that I don't lose as much. What do you guys think? Any comment would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Go LS and turbo

·
Registered
715 Posts
back on topic...

what in your motor is blown? With the exception of screwed up / cracked sleeves, pretty much everything can be replaced or repaired. as opposed to doing a full swap. In other words, i'd be looking to buy it back and rebuild it if it was possible.

and personally... you drive a gsr, and you're probably used to it (as am I). I would not even consider an LS motor.

edit: to answer your initial questions:If you did the swap, you can keep your gsr tranny, you need an ITR ecu, wiring shouldnt have to be touched.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the mechanic told me that there is a hole on the engine block...so that is quite a big prob...

I don't really know whether GSR tranny has LSDs on it because mine has...so it might be an ITR tranny. Other than that fixing the car might be more hassle and more expensive compared to swapping a used GSR engine into it.

So nobody is supporting me on swapping an ITR motor into it? How bout a H22A? would it bring up the price of the car? or shd I just stick to the original?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
original stock parts give you the best price on your car. not everyone who is gonna buy an integra wants it modded. if you check around on here, they repeatedly say that in peoples threads about selling their cars.

if you have thrown a rod through the block, then why not just pick up another gsr block? you shouldnt need a complete engine to swap if you just buy another block. you can reuse the stuff from the old engine. that is the best thing to do if you are selling it. if you are keeping it, then the type r is cool, if you want the power that way, otherwise boost a ls or gsr engine like they said up there...

·
Registered
715 Posts
Id say, get a new legit bare gsr block, get a fresh hone on the walls, new piston rings, new bearings, new oil pump, water pump etc, reassemble, and you're rolling a practically new engine (which will increase the value IMO)

if you're totally opposed to repair, get another gsr or ITR motor (you would only need a gsr shortblock and then swap the head). But the ITR will be more expensive, and could decrease the resale value (as cannibalsnax mentioned). Plus you'd need an ITR ECU

Do you know how you got a hole in the block exactly? have you seen it yourself? Do you have a good relationship with your mechanic?

·
Registered
604 Posts
THERE IS A LOT OF QUESTIoNS THAT U NEED 2 ANSWER B4 U CAN GET THE CORRECT ANSWER TO UR QUESTIoN. FIRST, ARE U GOING 2 SELL THE CAR OR NOT IF U R THEN I WOULD EITHER SELL IT AS IS OR GET ANOTHER GSR BLOCK BUT IF U WANT TO KEEP IT U CAN DO A COUPLE OF THINGS BUT THAT DEPENDS oN WHAT U WANT. SWAPS. TURBO, LS/VTEC AND U CAN GO WITH A H22 BUT SOME PEOPLE DoNT LIKE BUYING OTHER PEOPLE'S MESSES I KNOW I BOUGHT MY SUPERCHARGED GSR AND I AM REDOING THE BLOCK OVER CAUSE A PISToN CRACKED CAUSE OF A LEAKY HEAD GASKET. THE VALUE OF THE CAR IS ALWAYS GOOD WITH OEM PARTS. I HAVE A COMPLETE H22 FOR 1200 IF U WANT IT.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
TDARK1582 on Jan/31/06 said:
THERE IS A LOT OF QUESTIoNS THAT U NEED 2 ANSWER B4 U CAN GET THE CORRECT ANSWER TO UR QUESTIoN. FIRST, ARE U GOING 2 SELL THE CAR OR NOT IF U R THEN I WOULD EITHER SELL IT AS IS OR GET ANOTHER GSR BLOCK BUT IF U WANT TO KEEP IT U CAN DO A COUPLE OF THINGS BUT THAT DEPENDS oN WHAT U WANT. SWAPS. TURBO, LS/VTEC AND U CAN GO WITH A H22 BUT SOME PEOPLE DoNT LIKE BUYING OTHER PEOPLE'S MESSES I KNOW I BOUGHT MY SUPERCHARGED GSR AND I AM REDOING THE BLOCK OVER CAUSE A PISToN CRACKED CAUSE OF A LEAKY HEAD GASKET. THE VALUE OF THE CAR IS ALWAYS GOOD WITH OEM PARTS. I HAVE A COMPLETE H22 FOR 1200 IF U WANT IT.

Please don't type in caps, it looks like you're YELLING.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I was you I have been I your shoes trust me I would go gsr again because with the money your going to pay for a itr motor you can buy a gsr and still have money in your pocket itr isn't all its cracked up to be you get just a little more hp than a gsr and a lsd tranny your paying for a name that's it put a intake a exshaust and headers on your gsr and bam!!! Its a stock type r or damn close if you want buy a ls block and use your gsr head and go ls vtec if you want some power but don't do itr stay true to the gsr hey you have secondarys dose a type r but good luck oooh yea and for the boost queston ls works better with turbo because its low commpresion gsr is high

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yep the LS has a compression ratio of 9.2:1 where the GSR has 10.0:1 compression. I would go with the GSR motor, personally. They put a GSR motor in that car for a reason... it is better. My gsr turbo pulls like noting else. I have had a supercharged RS (LS motor) and a turbocharged GSR running the same amount of boost and the turbocharged GSR beats the hell out of the RS, and the RS is 140lbs lighter. And it is not because turbos are that much better. Stick with the GSR motor.

·
Registered
327 Posts
LS BOOOOOOOST!!!!! OR BETTER YET....U CAN DO AN LSVTEC SWAP FOR ABOUT 2000 grand DO THAT AND THEN BOOOOOOST OMG THE POWER *ddrroooollllssss*

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah...I think I will stick to GSR engine then....but I've been looking in Ebay...the prices with ITR and GSR is only around 1000 dollars difference. So I am still wondering...but if you guys say that ITR will pull the price down...then I think I will put the original back...

Well since I already have posted this....I would like to know how much my car would go for without the engine...

It's a 96 GSR - mods are

KNN Filter
MSD Igniter
Skunk2 Coilovers
Enkei 16" Rims
3" Muffler...don't know the brand
DC Header
Skunk2 clutch
Aftermarket Shortshifter
cables ready for Amp and Sub
8 boston accoustics speakers
big spoiler - well don't know what u call it
rear lamps

Stock
Ugly Tan interior (well it's leather
)
Heater's workin perfectly
Power windows and moon roof
Needs some paint job (it's green now....)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just go back to GSR. It's your decision. Just do whatever.

I say we ban people who do OBVIOUS reposts/stupid questions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.