Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from DC and went to take my car out of my garage to go for a lil ride. i started it up and then it started to accelerate and at about 4000rpm's i have a loud nasty tap...i have no clue what it could be...does anyone have a clue as to what it could be? theres no power loss or choppy idle. so im clueless.

thanx

·
Registered
51 Posts
sounds like a spun or bad rod bearing... but hopefully it isn't that bad. But if it is only at high revs it probibly is. Try this. Turn off the engine. Remove the first spark plug wire. Start her up and rev it to where you hear the taping. If it is still there put that spark plug wire back in and try the second. Keep going until you find one that makes the tapping go away. If it does then it is knocking and is a bearing. If it doesn't go away then it is something else and you are lucky. If it is not that bad of a tapping noice try adjusting your valves. They make a little noice but you would hear it at idle. If it is a spun bearing you should hear it when you start the car for a second and it will go away. Get it fixed fast if it is the bearing because it can do catistrophic damage to the block if you throw a rod. Keep the RPMs down for now until you can get it fixed. If you can hear the knocking you're reving too high. Sadly there is alot of labor involved in replacing rod bearings and if you have a shop do it you are going to be out a G at the least. When I spun a bearing on my civic the guy charged 4000 to fix it but that was because he replaced everything and blueprinted ect.. but that was what he said had to be done because everything got burned from driving it like that. So get it fixed if you can afford it and if not cross your fingers and drive SLOW. Good luck. Sorry for the bad news.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts