Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been doing a lot of searching on things but still have some questions.. im sorry if these have been covered or are stupid

to start i am planning on getting a b18c1 to go n/a with. one major question that i have is if i were to get a jdm would that be able to pass smog in cali? of course i am planning on doing a lot of upgrades and rebuild the engine so what could i get away with doing and still pass smog? both for usdm and jdm engines. those are my major questions at this point since i want to make sure i will have a legal car before i start to look into the cam, piston, etc i will be using

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
to pass smog you need an engine that has rings that seal, functional EVAP, a functional cat, functional primary O2 sensor/ and proper spark plug heat range and gap/ignition advance tune up (and valve lash) at the basic OEM level. once you get modified parts, you're having to reprogram the warm up idle and on the nonVTEC closed loop longterm constants in your ECU. They won't usually go into VTEC on the dyno load for most states and provinces during emissions and usually stay below 4400 rpm and so you are dealing with part throttle, closed loop ECU tuning performance but since I don't live in CA I don't know what their usual loading on the emissions dyno run is.

If they do get into VTEC part throttle then you'll have to reprogram the fuel maps and ignition maps depending on how modified you go. The higher the CR, the harder it is to lower NOx levels for emissions. That takes quite a bit of finesse on the reprogramming to pass emissions with say a 12:1 CR motor vs. a 11:1 CR.

JDM Sir B18C 10.6 CR (vs. USDM GSR b18c1 10.0:1 CR) 240 injectors stock before upgrades should be able to pass with basic OEM emissions prepping.

Are you running a JDM ECU or USDM ECU? The JDM ECU runs off the presumption that you're using 100 octane (the nonVTEC and VTEC fuel maps are calibrated for that) and their emissions is different than our's in that they don't run the EVAP canister.

Are you running a crome, or neptune or hondata?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would most likely end up purchasing a USDM ecu.. aspecially since 100 octane fuel is well.. i dont want to have to get that. the reasons for me asking is i know that california has extremely strict regulations and i have seen one of my buddys engine get torn apart to get back within smog standards. i dont want to get the engine and do the work to have that happen.

if i need to i will just look at local salvage yards and rebuild any b18c1 i can come across, but if i can get a JDM to pass smog after doing some work on it i feel that i can get more out of it

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
So that in no way even comes close to going open loop on your ECU. You are in part throttle closed loop on the ECU all the way for the CA emissions test.

So that really makes you focus on the standard Acura dealer tune up stuff and cleaning up the warm up idle and constants on the ECU program.

I'd make sure you get a fresh set of #6 heat range plugs gapped properly, lash the valves properly, do a basic timing light ignition timing adjust like we show you here in the Articles, get a compression test to make sure , clean air filter, make sure your cat is working properly, get a new primary O2 sensor and check your timing and EVAP hookups/canister charcoal, PCV valve function.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so it sounds like i would be able to get a stock JDM b18c1 and use like a USDM gsr ecu and make sure to compression test, check the cat, etc and it would be able to pass?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I do believe the JDM intake manifolds don't have all of the emission devices needed to pass smog here in CA.

You can try and pass at a regular smog station... some won't smog your motor because its not stock while others wouldn't be able to tell because they don't keep up on Hondas.

If you want a BAR sticker though then you need to go to the state ref and they will check everything over and you will have to pass a very strict visual inspection along with the regular sniffer test as well.

If you look in the CA forum I started a thread about emissions stuff. Look under the common topics :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok ill check that out.. and if i need to ill just change to a USDM intake manifold, but i just needed to know if it would be small things like that to change

thanks

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
The JDM SiR (their GSR) has the same dual stage IM as the USDM B18C1 GSR IM.

what Dan said about JDM IM's is a generalization and not specific to the SiR motor.

You can retrofit EVAP line onto the JDM IM's.

Since you are using a USDM ECU that is probably better than the JDM ECU for smog. However, for non-smog perfromance issues, the USDM P72 ECU presumes a 10:1 CR motor and not a 10.6 CR motor... just keep an eye on the plugs and read them after a WOT run without idling afterwards to see if you're getting enough fueling at 3/4 to full throttle in the last 2000 rpms in each gear.

the way to get around this is of course to reflash/reprogram the ECU for the 10.6 CR. The USDM ITR (10.6 CR) basemaps and closed loop control is probably the best way to go and then instead of getting a stock dual stage IM (JDM or USDM), go with an aftermarket single stage IM that can fit the P72 (GSR/SiR ) head .

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
MichaelDelaney on Jan/28/06 said:
instead of getting a stock dual stage IM (JDM or USDM), go with an aftermarket single stage IM that can fit the P72 (GSR/SiR ) head .

The only problem with that I see is I don't know of any CARB aproved IM so you'll fail visual. If someone can prove me wrong that would be great but I haven't seen any.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hm.. good point. can anyone let me know if there is a way then? cause i found a good JDM but i dont want to buy just to have to sell it

wait how do you pass an IM then when all you did is modify the engine? couldnt you even just put the GSR IM on the JDM and then why wouldnt it pass visual?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if it's stock and there's no difference to the GSR IM, it's not going to be a problem.

secondly, if you want an aftermarket IM then Sk2's & Blox's are CARB EO-pending. I don''t think OBX's IM is.

I would port the stock GSR IM btw.

With the secondaries full open, it has been dry flowbenched to top out at around 230 cfm @ 12.5 mm (or 0.5 in.) max cam lift @ 28" vacuum steady state.

So if you had a 12.5 mm cam which is a pretty wild cam, that stock IM max's out at 199 whp. You can see why GSR's have a tough time with a Stock IM breaking 200 whp.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
just make sure you can hook up the USDM EVAP, use a USDM VTEC solenoid,...both for the USDM GSR ECU that you said that you will be using with the SiR IM, get a proper O2 sensor & new plugs, find someone to give it a tune up & valve lash adjustment with a compression test, TB/IACV idle adjust, if you don't know how...

you're upgrading to a gsr fuel pump right?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
shorto85 on Jan/28/06 said:
The only problem with that I see is I don't know of any CARB aproved IM so you'll fail visual. If someone can prove me wrong that would be great but I haven't seen any.
The Skunk2 IM is CARB approved.

If you live in an area where smog techs aren't knowledgable about aftermarket parts, you shouldn't worry about the IM. Consider that most of the aftermarket IM's (Skunk2, BLOX, etc.) look very similar to stock ITR IM.

And another thing, I was able to pass the visual and sniffer with a JDM ITR header.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.