Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I thought I'd share a project I did a few months back. I had another thread for this but I think i lost it so here's the run down...

-97 oem housings
-98+ ebay chrome housing lenses (no three lines)
-05 tsx projectors
-xenon depot 4300K plug n play kit (phillips)

The conversion kit from xenondepot was the first of its kind that I have come across. It plugs into your 9006 connector and has a d2s connector on the other side, no cutting/splicing/anything of the sort. It made the project incredibly easy. on to the pics!!! ...

Opinions and positive/negative comments welcome. Oh and the right projector is lined up a little bit more up on Purpose because I like it that way. To the best of my knowledge it is not blinding people, I've never been flashed.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
very nice, i like the lack of the three lines, cleans it up...

everytime i see pics of a HID retrofit it solidifies my plan to do it myself...

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for all the comments, make its all worth it. (and the fact that i can now see all the dear at night)

i used my stock 97 housings because i already had them, and i was doing a 98+ conversion so i needed new headlights... so i got the ebay ones for the clear lenses and to eliminate the three lines, and used my 97 housings to avoid fitment issues... the best of both worlds.

sadly, everything ran bout 550. but to me its money well spent... this is by far my favorite mod.

and aaron: its not hard at all bro, i had no clue what i was doing and mine turned out great. just use the article on here and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chris its a legitimate question, but it might open up a can of worms.

in short.. retrofitting causes there to be no glare, and shows a very sharp, crisp, and distinctive cutoff that you can see in my pics above. its the blue-purplish color

plug n play kits have some glare, can sometimes be dangerous depending on the type of vehicle (although theyre not bad on our cars), and have no blue-purplish color in the cutoff.

in the end, and this is my Opinion.. a plug and play kit compared to a propperly done retrofit side by side is no contest as far as output goes. integras don't actually have bad cutoffs stock... but the output just isnt there with a kit. (i used to just have a kit)

·
Registered
187 Posts
pice look great. i love the cut on my tsx's as well

here are the pros and cons

retro fit

Pro
-clean cutoff
-bwm blue and purple flicker
-no glare
-lights the road evenly

con
-cost
-possible down time on car depending how many headlights you have

plug and play kit

pro
-easy install
-cheap price
-more light

con
-most plug and play kits are cheap and break after 6months
-causes glare
-no blue and purple flicker (just seems like brighter halogens)

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Mike, you got some GREAT results, here. I'm REALLY liking the use of the aftermarket headlight lenses (the 98+ Ebay housings). I've read on HIDPlanet that one of the DRAWBACKS of doing this on Tegs is the lenses of the stock headlights....b/c of the lines. I agree that your idea of using your stock lamps and using the aftermarket lenses is the best of both worlds. You get CLEAN, CLEAR lenses (I have 98+ lights, but they're scratched, pitted, etc) WITHOUT the lines that everyone says is the biggest problem of doing retros on Tegs!

Too bad noone sells just the LENSES on E-Bay! I'd be all over the lenses....especially if they cost less!

Also, by using the method you did, you VERY WELL may have averted the major problem with these aftermarket headlights--water condensation. With the OEM portion being what controls the water issues, you may very well be averting the condensation issue! This is a GREAT idea and has me considering picking up some of these E-Bay lights with which I would've NEVER before considered cursing my car.

Also....if you have a 98+ front end and want to have extra lights to do this (a pr to work on and a pr to roll), you can pick up 94-97 lights for quite a bit less than the more desirable 98+ ones....and who cares? You're going to make them into 98+ lights when you fit the Ebay headlight lens over the retro'd lights!

I can think of all KINDS of reasons that this was a good idea, Mike!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hey, what particular eBay lenses did you use? I'm thinking about getting some messed up 94-97 lights from a guy and then buying the eBay ones for the lenses and I wanna make sure that the lenses would fit the housing right. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
PureTeg89 on Sep/18/07 said:
Hey, what particular eBay lenses did you use? I'm thinking about getting some messed up 94-97 lights from a guy and then buying the eBay ones for the lenses and I wanna make sure that the lenses would fit the housing right. Thanks.

Yeah, Mike....you need to look at your e-Bay history and find the auction where you bought those headlights.....then, we can search by the seller.

I know I went on and on about what a good idea it was to use the aftermarket "Cheezy" e-Gay headlights....but let me clarify that I understand exactly what you did:

You performed the retrofit on the 94-97 lights, but instead of sealing them back up with the original OEM 94-97 lenses, you used the lenses from the eGay lights (with none of the lines), CORRECT?

·
Registered
303 Posts
nice job man..i did a tsx retro on my teg as well, love it!

poly so that's what causes that??mine do that on the passangers side too the cutoff curves like that and it used to drive me crazy until i just gave up trying to fix that..mine is washer modded too..

·
Registered
402 Posts
lowskee on Sep/18/07 said:
nice job man..i did a tsx retro on my teg as well, love it!

poly so that's what causes that??mine do that on the passangers side too the cutoff curves like that and it used to drive me crazy until i just gave up trying to fix that..mine is washer modded too..
Yeah, mine bowls on the far right of the pass. exactly like the pictures, (kinda visible in my pics as well see sig). I don't have as much of an angle on the cutoff immediately to the right of the step tho. I'm with you when you say you gave up trying to fix it. It bugged me at first, but the TSX is still better than the majority of projector's out there. And I'm not willing to give up the cutoff color for a little straighter of a line, I don't drive with my headlight's pointing at walls all night.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm runnin out to school right now but i can take some more daylight pics on my lunch break and upload them later. as for the seller on ebay... my account was closed for fraud, they said i tried to buy a thousand dollars worth of coffee beans?

just find the cheapest halo set you can, all the lenses are interchangable to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I believe all most modern headlamps have the arch on the right to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

In Japan (and probably UK/Europe), the arches swing the other way.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.