Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote this at various times during the summer and kept it in notepad on my pc. Now that fall is here I feel I am officially done with this stage. Detailed my car yesterday and took some pics. So here ya go......
My summer project. 96 Integra RS. on a small budget.

Around May 2007

Purple worn out tint.
Bad clearcoat failure on the hood, roof, and hatch area.
Leaky radiator. Cracks at the top.
No radio since the antenna line was broken somewhere.

Minor things...
Milky looking headlights.
Nasty original floor mats.
Stale smell in car. Previous owner must have been a heavy smoker.
Rusty calipers, hubs, rotors.

The car already had the exhaust and cold air intake installed when I bought it off ebay. It also had a decent head unit transferred from my 240. Forget the model number pioneer, but it has the lcd display with the "dolphins" and "pyramids". It was pretty pricey back in 2000 when I bought it from best buy. People would trip on it. Nowadays cool displays are common even on cheap head units.

October 2007

Except for tint install all labor was done by yours truly. Also had the rims mounted for $20. The day they arrived it was raining so I had a local garage do it.

Street legal tint - $150
Whole day of sanding off clearcoat with a good but cheap Wal-Mart power sander and 400 grit sandpaper. $20.
First coat of paint on the car. Rolled! Check http://rollyourcar.com/ $100 (still have a few more coats to go)
Replace radiator with new one from radiatorbarn.com. $115
17" Tenzo DC-5 V1 rims. Package deal from wheelsnext.com $800
Ksport Kontrol Coilover Kit. $650
Type R Spoiler $125
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's 9005,9006 bulb replacements. $100
Eagle one NevrDull on headlights and tail lights to clear them up. $5
Sirius satellite radio Starmate 4 with FMDA25 direct audio relay. About $100 with subscription.
New floor mats. $20.
Febreeze odor neutralizer fabric spray. $4
Hi temp gunmetal paint for calipers, hubs, rotors. $5

About $2200 all total.

Out of all the projects I would definitely never try to remove tint again. The tedious nature of it and the smell just makes the whole project zero fun.

Installing the Ksport coilovers was tough. Mainly because I had never done something like that before. But it was fun just messing with the drop on an adjustable suspension. Plus there was the opportunity to paint the hubs and calipers. My rusty hubs and calipers were an eyesore.

A surprise was the Febreeze spray. Cheaper than steam cleaning. It was an impulse buy while getting the sandpaper and cleaning cloths. The interior smelled like an ashtray. After spraying the stuff it was amazing how good it worked. Not a strong smell just fresh smelling. Even after a month it was going strong.

The type r wing was super easy to install. The indentations are already there on your teg. All you gotta do is drill them out. I had a crappy drill and the wrong size drill bit but I was still done in about 30 minutes. Even spending time to seal the mounting points with silicone.

I had heard the negative reviews of Silverstars but personally they have always lasted just fine for me. on my previous ride (240SX) I had Sylvania "Cool Blues" and had really liked them. So far driving three months and they are all working.

As for the paint technique. There is definitely a lot of talk positive and negative about doing your car this way. My experience summed up in one word is amazing. First off clear coat failure is one ugly thing. After sanding the car it looked better. Just for the fact that it looked like I was attempting to fix the problem. I spent hours reading all the message board posts and had a good grip on how to do it. So the day I rolled it was just really cool. Even my dad who had been skeptical about the whole thing was impressed. Just one coat and it looked good. I started on the hood where I made a few mistakes. By the time I did the roof and hatch I had learned to back down on the paint. The key to doing your paint this way is many thin coats. Wet sanding every couple of coats with increasing grit level. That's all in the future though. Right now I am satisfied with paint until it gets cooler. But the great thing is I can go at my own pace and all the stuff is already bought.

Now it is October and the car feels brand new to me. I like the way the car looks. It turns a lot of heads in my small town and up in Memphis. And best of all it is serious fun to drive. There is this road I drive most everyday that is a great combination of twists and turns plus long straightaway’s. I can really feel the effect of the spoiler above 70. Plus cornering speed with the new suspension is high enough now that I am seriously considering racing seats. Great thing about my county is that police are not allowed to carry radar. Night driving is a blast. Just look out for deer and other critters. As long as there are no headlights it is wide open.

For the rest of 2007.

complete painting

Replace stock speakers. Install amp, subwoofer, etc

interior work
more suspension upgrades.
vtec upgrade or turbo. or both.

Check the pics. Taken just yesterday.

Installing the Ksport coilovers.

Silverstars

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is back when I first registered with TI. 2003 I think. Just imagine this with really bad clearcoat failure circa 2006. Plus mechanical problems and the blades were not as shiny.

The car sat in the driveway for about a year while I decided what to do. Glad I decided to fix it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Batman. That brought back a memory. Made me lookup that car on google.

Batmobile

When I first got the rims I was undecided about the look. After awhile they really grew on me. I also picked up the August issue of Modified Mag. on the cover was the Nismo Ninja 350Z. It was the same thing I was going for. Black is always in style plus the stealth look is business looking.

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
I think some 98+ tails would really compliment those rims....just a thought.

Looks awesome though, good job.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
TEGGSRB18C1 on Oct/07/07 said:
I think some 98+ tails would really compliment those rims....just a thought.

Looks awesome though, good job.
agreed and maybe some tint for some reason it just looks off to me right now but my friends hatch has the same concept on his wheels and it looks great i think the tint will help cause he has like 20 or something all the way around which i know is illegal but it looks good.

·
Registered
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2,880 Posts
^^It depends on where you live. Cops in my area have cracked down so hard on tints....people don't even do them anymore.

It sucks.

·
Registered
593 Posts
looks nice man..engine bay shots?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.