Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might be confusing but bear w/me. So, I've done tons of research b4 installing my 1st oil CC, (oil catch can). After knowing all the ways to do it, what's most effective how you should/shouldn't do it ect.. I've decided goin w/ route of the can between stock PCV, 1 hose from VC pcv hole, and one hose to intake using stock check valve in between b4 intake.. But, the can I got has 2 hoses, 1 in 1 out, no breather. But I wanted to be able to use 2 ports from VC to can and other hose to intake. So I figured, why can't I just use a T w/ 2 short hoses from breather port other from pcv hole going to the T and the last connection of T w/ hose going to the IN port of can, then just have my OUT hose to intake w/a check valve in between b4 intake as usual. This way I'm still getting vaccum from 2 ports on VC that get filtered b4 going to intake but only using my 2 port CC I have.. Here's some pics cus it's kinda hard to describe lol..
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive fuel system
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Car

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW it's a 96 LS b18b1 non vtec turbo build. And yes I know my check valve isn't on the intake side, this was just an idea I've never seen and wanted to make an example of it b4 running it and get some opinions and if this should work just fine or if it could cause harm some way and why? As of now I changed it back to just the simple way of can between pcv and intake until I get some advice about this Lil idea I thought of. I've never seen it on any other setups like this and idk if there's a reason cus it's a bad idea, but I know people use a 3 hose can or 2 cans so they have 2 hoses from VC ports going to can and other port to intake for vaccum. Thanks in advance for the advice. In my opinion, I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as I put the check valve on the intake hose this time and use a fitting to go into the pcv hole cus I'm lazy and wanna use the holes that are already there and not weld any plus I'm on a time crunch to finish this project and almost done..

·
Administrator
4,404 Posts
I think you've made this waaaaay to complicated for what it really is.

Get yourself a breather box. Install two hoses from the breather box, to the back of the block where there's two closed-off ports. Additionally, get two -an fittings welded to your valve cover, and run hoses from there to the breather box.

Done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I know there's a bunch of other ways and theories, but I just don't want to weld anything or do any extra work rn if it's gonna be fine just putting CC between the pcv valve system and using the ports already on the valve cover. I know it's ghetto and should have correct fittings welded into the sides and probably 3 hoses for 2 in valve cover and one for vaccum. But just wanted to get most of what I got and not have to weld or do anything extra rn cus I'm trying to just hurry and get this thing on the road b4 summer is over cus I've hardly even driven the thing and finally done with it and about to get tuned tomorrow so I can actually have some fun safely since it's running rich on the tune and have done more upgrades since last tune when it was first rebuilt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For now I just got one hose coming from breather neck on VC to the can and other hose to intake with oem pcv valve. And put a rubber inlet into the pcv hole on VC hole with a Tee that has a filter on one end and hose on other going to a empty bottle just for more crankcase ventilation. I mean its better than just not having a catch can in between oem pcv hose and helping positive case pressure right? Especially since now it won't be getting any oil and grime into intake

·
Administrator
4,404 Posts
I mean its better than just not having a catch can in between oem pcv hose and helping positive case pressure right? Especially since now it won't be getting any oil and grime into intake
From the looks of it, you certainly will get oil into the intake. Your hose on the intake manifold is pulling from an oil catch can with oil vapor. That's literally getting sucked into the manifold. What do you think will happen under boost? That's a huge boost leak that you have plumbed. Positive pressure will be going right into that catch can.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From the looks of it, you certainly will get oil into the intake. Your hose on the intake manifold is pulling from an oil catch can with oil vapor. That's literally getting sucked into the manifold. What do you think will happen under boost? That's a huge boost leak that you have plumbed. Positive pressure will be going right into that catch can.
Well inside my catch can I have a hose that goes to the bottom that's coming from the VC inlet to where the oil is actually going to the bottom and also put 2 holes on the side of the hose with a stainless steel brillow sponge pad around the hose for a baffle type filter and also put a screen in the catch can port so anyththat gets thru the baffling will get filtered more before going into intake hose. Plus got the pcv check valve on the intake hose so it only gets suction when it has vaccum. Kinda like this guy's DIY catch can since its the same one as mine⬇ excfor on the other side where the hose goes to intake I got a small round screen in place just for extra.

·
Administrator
4,404 Posts
You still have vacuum & boost coming from the intake manifold. While cruising, oil vapor will be sucked into the motor. Under boost, positive pressure will be going into the catch can which will be a HUGE boost leak.

You really need to re-think this setup, as you're setting yourself up for failure when you have this running.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You still have vacuum & boost coming from the intake manifold. While cruising, oil vapor will be sucked into the motor. Under boost, positive pressure will be going into the catch can which will be a HUGE boost leak.

You really need to re-think this setup, as you're setting yourself up for failure when you have this running.
Really?? It's just weird cus I've seen tons of people with this same engine and other Honda engines with the same catch can setup just putting a can between pcv valve to where you're not deleting it but just catching the oil/unwanted stuff b4 going into intake. Cus no matter what the pcv check valve only allows air to go one way which would be to the intake and not it and back into the can. Which I tested with my mouth and sure enough it only allows air to go one way, so under boost when there's no vaccum, if it treys to push air back to can it can't, and my horses are pretty tight and don't think it'll leak anywhere but won't know until it's tested I guess..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

But after what I said on my last comment to this, with what I got what do you advise I should do for now until I have the time to weld or do it a Lil more properly? #1:Just run breather hose to catch can and on outlet port on can put a Lil filter for ventilation? Then just keep the stock pcv valve in place going to manifold? #2: or delete it, plug intake for now and run a hose from breather port and pcv valve port hole in valve cover and run both hoses to catch can and just let the crankcase pressure and oil flow thru hoses not using a vaccum source? And if I did it this way I should probably tap a hole in the top for a ventilation filter correct? Im just confused, cus as of now I'm not even talking about the original Pic I put up of my idea, cus I ended up changing it to inlet hose from breather neck, outlet hose to IM with check valve in between like so

·
Administrator
4,404 Posts
Follow the red-line. You have no PCV in this path.

You simply cannot have a live vacuum/boost line going to the catch can.

The entire purpose of this is to relieve crankcase pressure. Your oil can is not vented, and should be. It should be routed to the crankcase (either to the block, or to the valve cover, or both). A vented oil catch can is designed to reroute oil collected from the oil vapor, back into the engine's oil supply, while relieving the pressure buildup in the crankcase via filters on the catch can.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Follow the red-line. You have no PCV in this path.

You simply cannot have a live vacuum/boost line going to the catch can.

The entire purpose of this is to relieve crankcase pressure. Your oil can is not vented, and should be. It should be routed to the crankcase (either to the block, or to the valve cover, or both). A vented oil catch can is designed to reroute oil collected from the oil vapor, back into the engine's oil supply, while relieving the pressure buildup in the crankcase via filters on the catch can.

View attachment 107042
Yeah I get that idea of that Pic wouldn't really work, and I have changed it since then but still wanted some advice on if it'd work as if I had a 3 port catch can instead of 2.. So as of now I have it set up like this. Like #1circled, except it's on the can in my Pic where both ports are side by side on top, then I just have a 90°fitting in the hole where the pcv valve was with a tee on the end with a filter on one side and a hose on the other that'll dump into an empty bottle or whatever. But do you recommend doing the option below circled as #2? Or do you understand now that I've changed it to how #1 is and would run fine? In the end, I just want to relieve crankcase pressure and don't care to have it re route back into the oil pan or anything, I'll just dump it when full. But I see what you mean, this on #1 wouldn't necessarily relieve pressure, it would only help from anything getting into intake manifold cus the can will catch everything b4 it gets to the intake. So if I wanna relieve pressure I need to put a vented filter on top of can and run both lines into can from valve cover ports and just block manifold port for now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The below picture is the easiest to translate what it is you need to do. Even if you can't weld -an fittings to your valve cover, you can still route the other two hoses to the back of the block as shown: As you can see, there is no vacuum and/or boost lines running to this.

View attachment 107043
Hmm... Okay I think I know why I'm so confused.. I've always thought the crankcase pressure builds up at the top in the valve cover/camshaft area and you're releifing the air built up in their thru the 2 hoses coming from valve cover going into the catch can to also catch any oil and unwanted crap, which is then vented thru the filters on top into atmosphere and that's it. Or they're like that but there's also another hose going to the turbo charge pipe for intake or I'm to help suck pressure out of inside of valve cover. So the pressure is only built up in the bottom block before the head and pressured air is coming up from those into the can and the other hoses going to valve cover would be pushing air back into their or its also pressurized and pushing air thru those to where all 4 hoses are pushing out air and its all just escaping thru the filters on top?? Haha omg my head is spinning now..🤣🤦🤷 See when I look at this Pic, I've been thinking the air/oil mix coming in is from a hose coming off the valve cover, than the clean air, out port would go to intake mani. Am I wrong then? Or do people just do this still and it works but not as efficient as porting the back of block?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your #2 will give you what you want to do.

#1 will not.
Okay. **** man just as I really thought I finally figured out these catch cans and why people do them so many different ways and the purpose for the ways they do them, I just started to think everything I thought was a lie!! But technically, I still understand the way they work. So for my last question just to clarify, when someone has hoses going to the back of the block to the actual crankcase like the very first Pic you showed me, thats only for the oil to return back into the engine instead of it just filling the can and having to dump it, correct? And to relief crankcase pressure it's only from the valve cover ports whether you make your own or use the ones already their and delete pcv intake hole by plugging, right? Cus that's what I've always thought, and I thought you were saying the hoses coming from the crankcase in the back of block where you tap the holes would also be a way to relief pressure, but that's only for oil return. Correct?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm... Okay I think I know why I'm so confused.. I've always thought the crankcase pressure builds up at the top in the valve cover/camshaft area and you're releifing the air built up in their thru the 2 hoses coming from valve cover going into the catch can to also catch any oil and unwanted crap, which is then vented thru the filters on top into atmosphere and that's it. Or they're like that but there's also another hose going to the turbo charge pipe for intake or I'm to help suck pressure out of inside of valve cover. So the pressure is only built up in the bottom block before the head and pressured air is coming up from those into the can and the other hoses going to valve cover would be pushing air back into their or its also pressurized and pushing air thru those to where all 4 hoses are pushing out air and its all just escaping thru the filters on top?? Haha omg my head is spinning now..🤣🤦🤷 See when I look at this Pic, I've been thinking the air/oil mix coming in is from a hose coming off the valve cover, than the clean air, out port would go to intake mani. Am I wrong then? Or do people just do this still and it works but not as efficient as porting the back of block? View attachment 107045
If I'm correct to my reply on you saying #2 is what u want to do, then just ignore this long ass reply where I was dumbfounded and about to hit my head against the wall cus I feel like my whole life was a lie! Haha. But I think I get what you're saying now, was a Lil confused on the hoses going to bottom block crankcase.

·
Administrator
4,404 Posts
The hoses in the back is both blow-by (crankcase pressure) and oil. Pressure in the crankcase will naturally cause oil to also be pushed out. Because the ports on the breather can are on the bottom, any oil that gets pushed out will also naturally flow back into the block via gravity.

And yes....#2 is what you should be doing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now I understand what you mean as far as talking about the original photos I put up for this post. But, if I were to put the pcv check valve that controls airflow direction onto the hose between intake mani and catch can to where it cannot push air into the can and only suck when under vaccum, and also put a ventilation filter on top of the can for when the check valve is closed due to pressure and not vaccum then the two hoses from valve cover the join at a T with one hose going to can the crankcase pressure would still be released from air filter ventilation at top when intake isn't under vaccum, but when it is under vaccum it'd still pull clean air with no oil from 2 hoses in the valve cover joined to 1 hose via T, to where im getting more pressure relief from valve cover than if I were to only have one single hose to the valve cover. Get it? So pretty much with my original photo for this post, it could definitely work, I'd just have to relocate the check valve onto the intake hose so it only uses vaccum, and also hole punch the top and put a filter for when the intake isn't under vaccum and the pressure can still be released from valve cover hoses to can. It'd have to work. It's the same concept as people using a 3 hose catch can with 2 hoses coming from valve cover, 3rd hose to intake with check valve for vaccum only, with vented filters on top..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts