Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car tuned June 2003 By Modern Garage the pic might be kinda small oh yeah, Its posted kinda late cause my scanner has been broke and I took a pic with my digicam and it worked haha

Max WHP 201.3 Max Trq 138

Mustang Dynamometer

Mods....
Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams
JDM ITR 4-1 Header
Test Pipe
Injen CAI
Tanabe Racing Medallion Cat-Back Exhuast
Apexi VAFC *Tuned*
Chipped P28
and with OEM Headgasket *stock compression* and OEM Cam Gears

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Are the stock cam gears adjustable on a type R? That 183 hp baseline is with the skunk2 cams untuned?

That's a damn good cam...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nope, stock cam gears are just like any other B series motor, haha and that 183 baseline is running REALLY REALLY LEAN!! so that chipped P28 without the VAFC and FPR would be nothing, cause it felt wierd when it was untuned with that ecu in it, but thanks for the compliments guys, i am trying to see if i can scan it somewhere so i can put a good one in the dyno section

·
Registered
112 Posts
those are nice numbers with a smooth power band, i'd be happy if I could make your base run haha, you'll have to get that thing to the track and see what it runs tuned

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i definitaly noticed the difference, haha but now i am used to it already haha, thats why i wanna do the JDM Final Drive, 8.8lb flywheel and clutch, but thanks guys for the comments and stuff, i hope this helps future ITR owners to decide on what they want...

And if i would have went with Hondata (which i didnt know much about at the time and would have costed me the same as the VAFC and Chipped P28) I could have pulled a little more hp and trq. cause the tuner here is awesome!! but oh well, i am happy for what the numbers came out as thanks again

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Wow, I thought you had bupmed comression! That's on stock compression? without tuning the cam settings?? Something has to be wrong with my car....

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I wouldn't focus on the 201 number. Focus on the change from baseline.

he never listed the cf's or whether it was SAE corrected.
plus you know that the peak number could be as low as 193-195 peak hp and can vary from shop to shop, even with SAE correction.

If you're a TI regular, you'll be smarter than the other enthusiasts . You'll know that dynos should be interpreted according to their relative changes from baseline after a modification and that the absolute number should be taken with a grain of salt by about 5 whp variation...you know why , right (from the "intense learning for newcomers to TI" thread pinned to the top of this forum for everyone's benefit) ?

if you calculate the difference in peak torque at 8100 rpm, he went from 118 lb ft before tuning to 130 lb ft (a 12 lb ft difference at the top end). The difference he had between runs at the peak torque location was 6 lb ft (138 vs. 132 lb ft, after tuning vs. before). Normally when you advance both the cam gears the powerband shifts up. You normally don't see a bigger gain at the top end vs. at the peak torque location and so you know some of the gain up top is contributed by roller inertia.

But overall a 6 lb ft or 5% gain in torque is nothing to sneeze at and very impressive from tuning.

those numbers are very achievable with a stage 2 skunk2 but you know if he went to an aftermarket piston and 11.6:1 CR, the car would be solidly over 210 peak whp (i.e. 213 whp with a maintained 138 peak torque at 8100 rpm). The head, exhaust system, and tuning would be then the things holding him back from joining the elite 220 /high 12's to low 13's club.

SurferX's before and after tuning on his 190 peak whp ITR (stock cams/head/CR, Comptech CAI, full hytech exhaust system) showed an impressive 7% significant gain up top from just minor fuel and cam gear tuning (with no major ECU fuel table changes). In the FI packages, fuel tuning may account for a 25% gain. They reap the benefits with a bigger pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

You already know my "opinion" about dyno numbers without seeing a change in acceleration numbers (or any other way you want to describe "faster" as we have shown on the quizes). Dynos are tuning tools to get you close to the best setup you can get from your package, nothing more. once you get onto the asphalt, there'll be more adjustments to make anyway.

In the end, we're all here to support each other and cheer each other's real successes on.

Good job.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah i'd love to do my bottom end, but that wont be for a while, and i am not sure if its SAE corrected or not

but the reason the torque was so low from the base run is because the ECU itself (without tuning) was running VERY lean, at WOT you could feel the car pull then hesitate very quickly while the rpm's climbed, and didnt nearly pull you back at all compared to after it was tuned

really the base run was not only to see where the car stands without tuning but to see if the people who chipped the ecu messed with the honda ignition in the ecu, and from the base run numbers, the tuner said they didnt....

but thanks for replying Micheal Delaney, you are a BIG help on this site, keep up the good work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts