Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a happy little report,

about 5k miles ago, I replaced my front pads w/ Axxis Ultimates, process went fine. Then I ordered some axxis pads for the rear and brembo blanks for all around.

When they arrived, I tried removing those infamous rotor screws. I thought I'd be able to take my brand new DeWalt 14.4volt screwdriver and slowly twist these screws out while pushing hard. But nope, started stripping a screw without even trying.
I stopped there and put the wheel back on.

Two weeks later(today) I have my impact driver and attack the previously stripped screw. After several whacks of the hammer, I realize my impact driver was set to tighten, whoops!
Regardless, the stripped screw comes out, phew!

the rest goes well, replacing the front rotors, and rear pads & rotors, one at a time. The rotating rear piston is a strange one. Mental note: when replacing the rear brakes, replease the e-brake! That had me worried for a minute before I realized! hahah!

I put this red brake quieting stuff from Napa, for what it's worth.
The axxis pads seem to make helluvalot of dust!

Oh, the rear outboard pads had a little metal plate on the side. I left them out in the new setup, what were they for?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Impact drivers are a valuable tool. I wanna pick one up one of these days.

Tightening the screw just a bit before loosening it was probably not too bad an idea. The idea is to break a screw loose. once its broken loose, any old screwdriver can remove it easily. Sometimes its easier to tighten a seized bolt then loosen it! If you manage to tighten it so that it turns even just a little bit, it will be broken loose and then loosening it will be very easy. However, if the bolt/screw was severly overtightened in the first place you risk snapping the head off.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
the metal part on the pad is there to reduce the vibration on braking... IE making them quieter.... sooo in essence.. no or less squuuuuuuueeeekkkkkssss...lol

Frank

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the information.
I recently changed my pads as well! I got Ceramix pads so I don't have to deal with all the brake dust.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tdub: I ordered my rotors and rear pads from importrp.com, came to $140+S/H. my front pads came from someone else, about $45. throw in a $30 impact driver, $5 worth of anti-squeak compound, a couple beers, and about two quarts of soap to wash your hands with.

I guess the tightening makes sense, since the screw isnt stripped in the tighten direction. Budge it a little and it'll come out.

Looking forward to the upcoming TreasureIsland meet for some ideas on what to do next!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
lol. all it took for me to take out the rotor screws was a metal mallet and a punch. just banged the screws to "shock" them and the came out with the twist of the wrist.

just changed mine 2 weeks ago. Brembo blanks and Brembo pads. all together $152 from www.buybrakes.com

·
Registered
70 Posts
Do you guys just get new rotors everytime you do brakes or do you try to turn them at a local store like pep boys? Is it worth it to turn them or just get $21 bremob blanks everytime?

·
Registered
845 Posts
spender1326 on Apr/23/04 said:
Do you guys just get new rotors everytime you do brakes or do you try to turn them at a local store like pep boys? Is it worth it to turn them or just get $21 bremob blanks everytime?
I get mine turned. I have a shop here that did it for $9 a rotor, so it makes a lot more sense than buying new ones at ~$20 apiece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts