Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be shaving my antenna very soon and none of you have had an idea that pleased me (sorry). I'm gonna relocate my existing antenna to the inside of my bumper sideways not like this->l but like this ----, laying down and undo the power so its always out. I know the signals don't pass through metal very well but I should have no problem with the plastic bumper. Also it's open on the bottom so that will help too.

TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK PLEASE

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
yea I always liked those integrated antennas, but some say the reception isnt as good as a conventional antena.

how would you even get that strip on the glass?

deff an interesting idea, try it out, just make sure its seccure.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm NOT doing the integrated antenna I didn't like the cons of it. Less reception etc. I want to retain the factory antenna that was on the car. I will make sure it is secured very well that would suck to see it dragging behind me.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
DeadLock23 on Feb/03/04 said:
yea I always liked those integrated antennas, but some say the reception isnt as good as a conventional antena.
I wonder if you could utilize one of the hatch heater strip wires to make an FM antenna. You could just carefully cut one single wire free on both ends, solder your wire to it and be good.

I dont really know enough about the dynamics of radio frequencies and their relation to antenna design, so this may not be the best of ideas...

just a thought for a clean look that no one would ever know about!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think you would be better off buying an internal antenna...they are powered so you will get a little better FM reception (generally), but you will lose your AM (darn the luck). That is just a thought.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm just not really sold on the interior antenna idea from reading everyones posts about them that have 'em. I will probably try this first and then I can always do the other way later if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The reasons antennas are mounted vertically is because of the way the radio waves travel. If you look at most radio antennas they are mounted vertically because if the would mount the horizontally they would not pick up the signal as well. TV antennas are more of a horizontal signal. Its hard to explain but if you look at the way the signal and frequencies travel you will undestand what i am talking about.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't think you'll get very good reception from the antenna if you mount it horizontally inside the bumper. I know when it's real cold outside, mine gets frozen and doesn't come up, and my reception sucks. It's worth a try though I suppose. Good luck

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
texinteg on Feb/03/04 said:
The reasons antennas are mounted vertically is because of the way the radio waves travel. If you look at most radio antennas they are mounted vertically because if the would mount the horizontally they would not pick up the signal as well. TV antennas are more of a horizontal signal. Its hard to explain but if you look at the way the signal and frequencies travel you will undestand what i am talking about.
I believe this is more for transmission not reception, but not positive if you have a link to some info on this I would love to read it just for my own know how, but I am pretty sure that this applies only for transmission and not reception.
Later,
Jared

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My95Teggy on Feb/03/04 said:
I don't think you'll get very good reception from the antenna if you mount it horizontally inside the bumper. I know when it's real cold outside, mine gets frozen and doesn't come up, and my reception sucks. It's worth a try though I suppose. Good luck
I believe that has to do with the whole "inside a metal car" thing. it isn't horizontal when it's inside the car.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
FM uses circular polarization, so horizontal mounting is OK. If you do this, make sure you maintain the ground. The factory ground is to the body right at the base of the antenna. There is a special little nub that digs into the sheet metal. You will see it when you take off the antenna. You need to maintain this ground connection to the body. Grounding the antenna motor is not the same, as the connection to the antenna lead does not make it this far. As far as I remember, you will have to make sure the tube is grounded, as this is the connection to the antenna lead. The car body is the other half of the antenna. The mast is itself is only half.

Since you plan on putting the antenna behind the bumper, you will be cutting off most of the reception except what is directly behind the car.

I strongly suggest not doing this; it is not going to work well at all. The ugliest antennae are generally the best. That's why most car antennae are simple 31" masts.

The next best thing would be the S2000 antenna with the amplifier that comes stock and is supposed to be used with it. It needs an amplifier because it does not work as well as the standard or any regular mast one. Practically any antenna mod that you do will lose you reception over the stock one.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i agree that most of your reception will be cut off, www.dakotadigital.com offers a glass mount antenna with inline amplifier for around $70. i bought one and would recommend it to anyone interested in shaving there antenna. as far as reception goes i cannot say, waiting till it gets a little warmer to install it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't see why you guys think it will only come in if the radio station is behind me? radio comes in when you're behind a hill, in a tunnel, between big buildings, etc. They would block more than my measley plastic bumper.

And thanks Kelly for the grounding information. I'll make sure of it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
kelly on Feb/03/04 said:
FM uses circular polarization, so horizontal mounting is OK. If you do this, make sure you maintain the ground. The factory ground is to the body right at the base of the antenna. There is a special little nub that digs into the sheet metal. You will see it when you take off the antenna. You need to maintain this ground connection to the body. Grounding the antenna motor is not the same, as the connection to the antenna lead does not make it this far. As far as I remember, you will have to make sure the tube is grounded, as this is the connection to the antenna lead. The car body is the other half of the antenna. The mast is itself is only half.

Since you plan on putting the antenna behind the bumper, you will be cutting off most of the reception except what is directly behind the car.

I strongly suggest not doing this; it is not going to work well at all. The ugliest antennae are generally the best. That's why most car antennae are simple 31" masts.

The next best thing would be the S2000 antenna with the amplifier that comes stock and is supposed to be used with it. It needs an amplifier because it does not work as well as the standard or any regular mast one. Practically any antenna mod that you do will lose you reception over the stock one.
confirming what Kelly was saying. Our conventional antennas are a cross between single dipole and monopole antennas, meaning they use the car itself as a horizontal ground plane perpendicular to the antenna. (and yes the odd shape of the car does introduce some distortion)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I found this link: http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm#theory

The first link (the Navy training PDF one) talks about why the ground connection is necessary (pg.187). Polarization it also talked about. I did not see reference to circular polarization, but did not read much of this document. Radio Shack has an inexpensive book on antennae. It dicusses circular polarization.

·
Registered
7 Posts
urethane and most types of fibrglass will allow for radio signals to pass through, but if you have any carbon fiber on your car make sure the antenna isn't located anywhere near it. Carbon will block a signal even worse than metal will, and it will do it if it's even tangeentally connected to the antenna.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i was gonna do that same idea behind the bumper but with my CB radio antennae. once i get that done i'll snap a few pics

1 - 20 of 24 Posts