Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got a '96 4door teg. I bought it about a year ago and never really used the ac until usterday, but the damn thing doesnt even work. When I turn it on, I can see my dash lights dim for a sec and the tachometer shows that the revs go up a bit. I can also hear the air conditioner running but theres no cool air. I'm thinking it might the refrigerant. What can I do about this problem, is there anything I can check on my own?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
First thing I would check is the belt on the ac comp. It happened to me and I know a few others here, that the tensioner pully broke off leaving the belt loose. Check that, if not, it is the refrigerant.

·
Registered
439 Posts
It doesnt work because youve never used it much. You are susposta use atleast once a week for about 10 minutes to keep it working. My uncle works in a shop and said if most a/c units sit for over a month they are useless. ~John

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think tegs just have crappy a/c, 'cause there have been dozens of people post the same thing here before. Mine doesn't work either.

·
Registered
400 Posts
99tegGSR on Sep/04/02 said:
It doesnt work because youve never used it much. You are susposta use atleast once a week for about 10 minutes to keep it working. My uncle works in a shop and said if most a/c units sit for over a month they are useless. ~John
really? i did not know that

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yeah,check the owners manual I think it mentions it. I guess when you dont use the the gaskets and stuff dry up. Thats how I ruined my accords a/c,by never using it. ~ John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
99tegGSR on Sep/04/02 said:
I dont know about that, my dad has a '97 Accord and we live in Canada, in the winter its cold, and we dont use the ac at all. and it works just fine every summer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
yeah, what are you supposed to do in winter when its cold...do you still have to let it run for 10 minutes every week?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Be sure to use the re-circulate button, that makes a big difference

·
Registered
439 Posts
ok, for you non-belivers I quote this from a 2000 integra owners manual (see page 194):

"Run the air conditionioning at least once a week during the cold weather months. Run it for atleast ten minutes while you are driving at a steady speed with the engine at normal operating temperature. This circulates the lubricating oil contained in the refrigerant"

·
Registered
400 Posts
i dunno bout u guys...but i use my AC all year around...in the winter..i use it to defrost my windshield..i i guess i dont reeally hafta worry about mine going bad...cept recently..my intake rubbed against one of the AC pipes...and put a hole in it...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well hey, that gives you all the more reason to remove it and get a badass weight reduction

·
Registered
549 Posts
well for all of you saying you didnt use the A/C in the cold winter I find that hard to believe. I am more than sure you used the heat, which is A/C, its a common misconception to think A/C and cooling, A/c means, and say it with me now "air conditiong".
I say this is hard to believe because I used to live in NC and never knew anybody who didnt use heat in the winter.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
rusty719 on Sep/05/02 said:
I think tegs just have crappy a/c, 'cause there have been dozens of people post the same thing here before. Mine doesn't work either.
My A/C gets quite cold, I think it is a decent system. The thing that pisses me off is the far left vent....I can't even aim it to blow on me!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Things to check..

Make sure A/c fan is on

Check to see the compressor is on..and I don't mean if the belt is turning.

Check the refigirant..press the valve down and see if any gas comes out..

If fan or compressor isn't on..check relays that are behind the radiator or to the side of them in g2's

I might be forgetting other little things so I might edit this

1 - 19 of 19 Posts