Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have these? What price did you pay? I have koni yellows and GC on my car now, but I just want to do some extra stuff. I know you will feel more of a differnce with sway bars. Is there anything else you guys might recommend?

·
Registered
161 Posts
i hear comptech is pretty good. i ordered their sway bar/tie bar combo this week. it was $350 shipped. don't forget this includes a tie bar which is i think $180 list price.

you can try to put on an oem type r sway bar which is a lot cheaper...there's some pretty good posts about sway bars here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gnuey on Jul/30/02 said:
i hear comptech is pretty good. i ordered their sway bar/tie bar combo this week. it was $350 shipped. don't forget this includes a tie bar which is i think $180 list price.

you can try to put on an oem type r sway bar which is a lot cheaper...there's some pretty good posts about sway bars here.
Where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
161 Posts
http://speeddistributors.com/ they seem to have pretty much the best comptech prices i've seen...at least for the icebox and sway/tie bar.

I dealt with a helpful guy named Cyris. I think that's his name. They're located in FL too so that might help on shipping but the tax might get you. goodluck. Tell them Team-Integra sent you hah, maybe they can be our new sponsor.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Mugen = overpriced

There are tons of quality suspension parts out there that will give you comparable performance for a fraction of the price. I agree that you should look into the comptech sway bar and some spoon strut bars.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
The Mugen sway bar is huge, 26mm. If you track your car and are a good driver it's a good mod, but on a daily driver it may be a little too much to handle safely. The Mugen strut tower bar is also very good as it's a little stronger than the OEM unit since it just goes straight across instead of curving up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
SurferX on Jul/30/02 said:
The Mugen sway bar is huge, 26mm. If you track your car and are a good driver it's a good mod, but on a daily driver it may be a little too much to handle safely. The Mugen strut tower bar is also very good as it's a little stronger than the OEM unit since it just goes straight across instead of curving up.
Do you mean that the handling characteristics of the car may change drastically. I'm assuming towards over-steer.

So my real question is this, if I get the Mugen 26mm sway bar along with one of the Type-R sway-bar conversion kits, will it fit my '99 GS?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
If you retain your stock front swaybar and upgrade from 14mm to 26mm you are drastically increasing the stiffness in the rear. So yes, if you're negotiating a turn your car would tend to lose traction at the rear tires sooner than the front (aka oversteer). Which isn't exactly helpful if you need to make a split second emergency maneuver on a public roadway.

When talking about altering an aspect of your car (in this case the suspension) lets remember that there is a balance between a race car and a street car. You can't have all the advantages of a race car with the creature comforts of a street car. Imagine the balance as a sliding ruler (pictured below) with all out, no holds barred race car handling on the left and a plush and comfy street car traits on the right. Lets pretend that the stock integra LS/GS/RS/SE/GSR (basically all models except for the ITR) has a nice compromise of race prowess and street comfort. Hence the X in the middle of our scale

RACE-----------------------X-----------------------STREET

As you tune your suspension to be more aggresive on the track you lose the comfortable ride that you appreciate when hitting a pothole or going over rail road tracks. A perfect example of this would be the Realtime Racing ITR. This is a track car, thus they have no interest in preserving a comfortable ride or anything that is practical on the street.

RACE-X--------------------------------------------STREET

Vice versa, when you soften up your ride to soak up the bumps, you sacrifice performance on the race track. Cadillacs are a good example of this. Great ride, smooth and comfy.....but trying to haul ass around a road course in an Eldorado would be very interesting to see.

RACE---------------------------------------X------STREET

"If I get the Mugen 26mm sway bar along with one of the Type-R sway-bar conversion kits, will it fit my '99 GS?"
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about. Do you mean the subframe reinforcement kit??

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
The BSQ kit is a subframe reinforcement kit. I don't think it will work with the Mugen simply because the Mugen is too darn big.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For the front strut bar I reccomend the nuespeed brace. It is a solid steel brace, not just a bar, and with a decent price. The mugen strut bars are good im sure, but for $300 dollars each its not worth it.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Silver:
Contact Brett (TI username: BSQ5) and ask him about his kit's compatibility with a 26mm rear sway bar. I'm pretty sure it won't work due to the massive increase in stiffness.

It may seem like a few millimeters wouldn't make that much of a differece. But when you start actually crunching the numbers.....you'll see how altering the diameter of a swaybar can very quickly change the stiffness.

To find the change in stiffness
Take the diameter of the aftermarket sway bar you're looking at, divide it by the diameter of your current sway bar and take the result to 4th power.

(26/14)^4 = 11.89
The Mugen bar almost 12 times as stiff as your stock sway bar

(26/22)^4 = 1.95
The Mugen bar almost 2 times as stiff as an ITR sway bar

Just some numbers to keep in mind. More information can be found in the
sway bar article by SurferX

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
just another note i'd like to push here again about sway bars:

integras are equipped with 4 wheel independant suspension. if you stiffen the rear up with a huge sway bar, you are limiting the benefits of having an independant rear suspension. on a "track only" car you don't need to really worry about having an independant rear end, but when driven on the street with infinite variables on surface conditions, you are better off stiffening up the rear end with stiffer springs and going with a moderate sway bar to equally balance performance and daily driveability.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Mugen makes a 26mm for the front and 24 and 26mm for the rear. My ITR 22 mm did change the balance of my car. I'm sure a 26mm would change it even more. I have to be more delicate on lift throttle at the limit, but can now rotate the car much better using lift throttle. I wish I could afford to try the JDM ITR 23 and the Mugen 24 and 26.

Good point nospeedlimit143. I however prefer soft springs/stiff bars. Stiffer springs can deteriorate the ride all the time instead of only when each wheel is moving independently which doesn't happen often and to an extreme. on a really bumpy road, stiff springs can cause the wheel to lose contact which won't happen as much with a soft spring, stiff bar combo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts