Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 integra RS. I just put the MSD 6AL box in there wit the soft touch rev limiter...is there any way i can by-pass the stock rev limiter with out reprograming the ECU. Also what would be a good rev limiter for a non-Vtec...any help would be appreciated...thanx

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
Good Rev limiter? Where it is already set is just fine. You haven't done any internal engine work to worry about raising the redline, much less the rev limiter...correct me if I'm wrong about the internal engine work...I looked at your profile and nothing was listed....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have no internal engine work now. but hopefully in bout 2 weeks im throwing in the cams and and valve springs. i want to get a lil more out of my redline. is there anyway to go about doing it without reprograming the computer

·
Registered
413 Posts
Typically...(and I stress "typically" because there are other uses)...the rev limiters that come with the MSD ignitions are used for launching in a drag race. They help you control the rpm at which you launch so that you can get the best r/t and 60 ft. times as possible. It takes some practice to find the optimal launching rpm for you car but once you have found it you never have to guess anymore or worry about over/under revving launches.

For example you set the rev-limiter for 3800 rpm...once you have staged all you do is just press the button on the rev-limiter switch and floor the accelarator...when the light turns green you launch at a perfect 3800 rpm and you are already floored...as soon as you launch let go of the switch and the rev-limiter is removed and you are back to normal.

·
Registered
480 Posts
yes, this rev limiter is safer too. it pulls spark while the motor sprays fuel, fire from the exhaust... fun fun this makes the mixture way rich when you hit it. the ECU's limiter is different... it pulls FUEL... it makes your motor detonate when you hit it... not good, it spikes the engine way LEAN. I have heard it used in daily driving also when you have say a 9250 rev limit and want to not exceed 8750 or something like that so you can prevent hitting the ECU fuel cutoff.

The answer to your question is NO. You have to reprogram the ECU to allow more revs.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
neouser has a shogun that he uses to override the stock rev-limiter so that he can rev to 7500rpm on his LS. He said he once tried 8000rpm and it didn't smell right?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
sak on Sep/06/02 said:
neouser has a shogun that he uses to override the stock rev-limiter so that he can rev to 7500rpm on his LS. He said he once tried 8000rpm and it didn't smell right?
on stock internals? Where do these people come up with these ideas??????????

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
neouser doesn't have any motor work done. All he has is some regrinds, but we aren't talking about internal work. We're talking about a way to by-pass the rev-limiter without re-programming the ECU, and thats how he did it on his car.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well if anyone has some ideas on how to do it...or what to get so i can do that....Let me know..i would appreciate it....thanx

·
Registered
176 Posts
yeah I am really interested in this cuz I am scared I am going to hit my rev limiter and have detonation, and you cant drive your car to the limit if you are scared.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The shogun can do this, but I don't think its safe. I'm only putting the infomation out that it can be done, I'm not recomending it. IMO, the stock limiter is there for a reason and it should be keep that way unless you have things to make your engine go beyond.

neouser only went to 7500rpm, which is very little over the stock LS's abilities, but yet it was over the stock limiter.

TheTeggy, going over the stock redline might not be a good idea since that too might cause detonation because your engine was not tuned to go over this point. I'm merely pointing out that there is a way to go around it if you want, but not the best way to do things to your engine.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
MikeSarrGSR on Sep/05/02 said:
yes, this rev limiter is safer too. it pulls spark while the motor sprays fuel, fire from the exhaust... fun fun this makes the mixture way rich when you hit it. the ECU's limiter is different... it pulls FUEL... it makes your motor detonate when you hit it... not good, it spikes the engine way LEAN. I have heard it used in daily driving also when you have say a 9250 rev limit and want to not exceed 8750 or something like that so you can prevent hitting the ECU fuel cutoff.

The answer to your question is NO. You have to reprogram the ECU to allow more revs.
I don't believe it is so cut and dried. If spark is cut, the cylinders get fuel washed and they and the exhaust are loaded up with extra fuel which can lead to exhaust backfire and converter damage. These effects are minimized with a sequential (soft-touch) limiter. When the ECU cuts fuel, it totally cuts fuel. This means no mixture at all, not a lean one - the engine is pumping air. Honda and all the other manufacturers could cut either spark or fuel - why do they cut fuel?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
This is from the Endyn site. This makes some sense as I forgot " mixture lag time." I still want to know why the factory doesn't cut spark. I am sure this is done currently as an emissions strategy (HC's) as no ignition with a rev limiter is legal for use on an OBDII vehicle. But this does not explain why older vehicles cut fuel rather than spark.

"I look at the BTM and think that it's essential for many applications, but as the enthusiast moves on into better electronics on down the road, the boost retard feature may be phased out. You'll still need the ignitions power and the built-in "Soft Touch" rev-limiter is mandatory.
The factory ECU cuts off fuel to limit RPM on the engine. While it's an "effective" way to do it, you might notice the harsh "bang-bang-bang" that results from accidently finding the pre-set rev limit.
Most everyone knows that shutting off fuel when engine loads are high is a sure invitation for destructive detonation. Well, guess what. That's basically what the engine experiences when it hits the magic fuel cut off point.
Unless detonation is "designed-in" to the combustion characteristics of an engine, it's effects are always destructive and the damage is cumulative. A little bit here adds to a little bit from there, and so on. You finally end up needing new rings and bearings....if you're fortunate.
The "Soft Touch" feature of the MSD-6AL and BTM permits one to insert a plug with desired RPM limit built into it and when the engine hits it, the ignition causes alternating cylinders to misfire, holding the engine at the prescribed point with ease and NO damage. We typically use a plug-in that sets the rev limit 200 RPM under the factory cut-off point. The "Soft Touch" is mandatory, if you care about your engine.

I've thrown several stones, but you guys will have to let me know if I wounded any birds with this."

.....The Old one....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts