Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in search of a msd ignition and coil setup for my future nitrous plans. I've been seeing that when most guys with tegs throw an MSD on there car it fries there rotor or somthing else in there ignition system.

Is it bad to run an MSD with out and FI or high CR?

Also..

Can i run a blaster coil with my stock ignition and still be safe and will it wire up correctly with stock ignition componants?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes its a bad idea. Your stock system can handle up to 300 HP.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i've got the MSD cap and rotor, blaster coil, and wires. i've had it in my car for almost a year now and its fine. at first when i installed all these things i felt a very SLIGHT increase in power. not saying that it makes a major difference but i know my car well enough so i could "feel" the difference. i dont know what's all this talk about its goin to fry something in your ignition system.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'm using the MSD 6 BTM and a MSD HVC coil with modified MSD cap and rotor with a supercharger. I have no problems with it yet almost brand new. It's not a bad idea to get that extra spark to help out with the added fuel and nitrous, but sometimes nitrous kits come with a "box" or some type of unit to help with the added fuel. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
ghesintegrah : remember this post when you have rotor-related or icm-related problems because I know we won't hear from you when it happens and remember to eat your words when it does happen...

and it will happen, trust me.

I've been at this game for almost a decade and although MSD is an excellent system, when you use it with a stock Honda distributor, the weak stock distributor goes...ignitor, rotor, tach related problems...you'll soon see : give it time. That's the advantage of being experienced - you've never been where I have but I've been in your shoes before.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
if you get an MSD system or any capacitance discharge system (Accel, Crane, AEM, etc.) , be prepared to replace the ICM or rotor eventually. That's all I'm saying. If you need one, like with 75 shot and up nitrous, or FI, or big CR, then you need it and there's no getting around it. All I'm warning you about is that the stock Honda distributor is one of the worse parts Honda has ever built and is the Achilles heel of Honda engines. It's weaknesses are highlighted or brought out and made more obvious when you add a capacitance discharge system.

As my friend Rick would say, it's like putting on a 40 psi boost 100mm turbo on a stock motor and blaming the turbo. If you didn't beef up engine to handle the load, then the engine will blow. You don't blame the turbo for the problem.

If you don't beef up the distributor when you're going to add a capacitance discharge system, expect the stock system to blow. Simple.

·
Registered
948 Posts
For those people who do actually need to upgrade their ignition system, what components of the distributer/igntion system need to be beefed up in order to handle a capacitance discharge system? (ie. no fried ignitor, rotor, etc. )

Or is the only option buying an entire aftermarket distributer? (which I'm sure costs a fortune. )

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You don't need to spend a fortune depending on what you need to have done this is what I got I have a LS/VTEC W/JRSC and I bought the modified MSD distributor and cap and rotor I also bought a MSD HVC coil to help the extra added spark the SS blaster coil for the street is the next step down from this and I also bought the MSD 6BTM Ignition Box with rev limiter. All this for:

coil-100
cap and rotor-40
btm-340

This setup works very nice for what I have very good starts, better throttle response, adjustment for retarding the timing, and NO detonation. Well good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes MD, 75 shot ZEX system. So i need it, i'll just have to see what happens when its all said and done, then i'll be one of the "experienced" of thios problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just bought a MSD distributor cap, coil and resistor...with some neuspeed wires coming on the way. Right now i only have intake, but planning to get headers and exhaust later. Everything else in the car is stock. The car is mainly daily driven with an occasional vroom vroom 4-7 a week. Do you guys think its a good set-up or a big no no? OH YEAH..i have a 2000 LS

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
flyingjalapeno: you wasted alot of cash for nothing. your setup doesn't need an ignition upgrade (what do you mean by a resistor?). it's obvious to anyone who knows about how to modify an engine that you were just copycating everyone else who doesn't know when they should or shouldn't upgrade the ignition or fell for a sales pitch.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
To make a long story short: Unless you are running forced induction and alot of it, or a high compression N/A motor then you don't need any kind of ignition components in your car, if you think or have heard that this will somehow 'boost your horsepower' then you have been misled. My friend is running 12.5:1 compression on his B18B motor and he's the oNLY one I have personally seen with my own eyes that is, that warrants this kind of ignition.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I think we've said that in every ignition-related post here, whether it be for plugs, wires, or capacitance discharge ignition system upgrading and yet you still see these poor beginners who get swindled into buying something they don't need or are hurriedly copycating and flying blind.

well, if you want to copycat without understanding, take a look at this:

this was Erick Aguilar's B18C1 engine bay when he ran in the mid 10 sec. all motor. You know? The guy that now runs 10 flat using non-alcohol based octane unleaded?

Do you see a capacitance discharge anywhere there? Nope.

That motor had to be closer to 300 hp than he will admit (he posted a dynpapack of his 275 whp motor and you gotta know that was a low ball). That motor has to be over 13:1 CR.

If a world record holder doesn't use a capacitance discharge system and still uses a stock system that's been slightly modified, what makes you think that you, a person running nowhere near 13:1 CR and the redline he's running would need one?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good note for all those out there who think and waste money. But on the other hand for my 75 shot it would be necessary for some upgraded componants.

Any in particular MD? so i don't go wasting money too

·
Registered
218 Posts
is aguilar still running the internal coil? it looks like he is

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yes it's completely stock ignition system with Erick's car.

notice that he has a separate motorcycle battery driving the accessories and the main battery driving the motor.

you see that a lot in racing. 2 separate battery sources. they do it in oval track racing and karting.

Erick comes from a motorcycle racing background.

capacitance discharge systems really push the stock honda ignition past it's limit and to a premature death.

75 shot: I suggest going with a vibration resistant coil (the non vibration versions just cut out at the least opportune time), digital rather than analog amplifiers (for better precision and response time), and be prepared to shell out for either a new Moroso distributor (the only one in the market so far with no competition) for replacement that will last longer or a new ICM or rotor. You'll likely get a better answer in the FI forum.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ive ran both a MSD 6-AL and SCI plus ignition system with an MSD external cap and Blaster SS coil and MSD plug wires for the past two years and never had a distributor go out on me. Maybe im luck but ive ran both setups in an NA LS/Vtec setup and a Turbo LS/Vtec setup. Personally for a 75 shot it would really depend on if your going with a single fogger wet/dry?? or a direct port setup??

I would save my money for now and run the stock ignition system and just check the plugs after running the nitrous. Then I would make my decision on whether the ignition upgrade would be needed. My main concern for the nitrous setup would be what are u running exactly; a direct port setup, single fogger dry setup or a single fogger wet setup? Personally I really only like the direct port setup. You can check the plugs and if a cylinder is running lean you can adjust the jets accordingly for when you juice the motor. I hope this helps.

Sal

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Well im fine if it takes two years. I spend more in a month on the car they a distributor would cost so its really no bother to me. But I guess for those that arent really into putting crazy money into their cars. I guess I could be a problem if they blow a ICM. But i can get OBD-2 Vtec Distributors for around 100-150. So its no big deal for me. I most of the time keep a spare of the parts that are usually going to go first. Distributors, plugs, wires, axles, clutch. I try and keep a back up. But im drag racing and break sh*t all the time. So if i dont im not going to be racing.

Sal

1 - 20 of 20 Posts