Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all my mechanic called me and told me the MSD HVC coil I bought was not compatible with the stock ignition and he said for a better spark a MSD 6 BTM CD IGNITIoN would work well allowing me to retard igniton for every 3psi boost and it has a soft touch rev limiter control, and a dash mounted boost timing control. Pretty sweet right, but here's the best thing about it my GF bought it for me HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Man you gotta love that all so I could get my car back on the road this week.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No unfortunately this is the last piece I need to complete my puzzle. I had this shipped to him lickity split like overnite. So he could finish this setup by this week. And he's all crazy about sending it out somewhere to dyno tune when he's not there. He also wants to set it to dyno in like a couple of weeks when it warms up around here. This weather is crazy one day it's like 60 and the next it's like 20 rediculous. I will definitely popst up some sheets when I get the chance. I just thought it was great that my girl forked out the money to get my car done.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UHHH she lives with me for free I'm the one that pays ALL the bills HAHA. But it is nice to have two incomes when your trying to work on a expensive car. Plus we have no kids yet!

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Tim:

you can use an High Vibration Coil with any B series as seen here in this 2L 14.5:1 CR N/A B18C monster.

Yes the stock ignition can't use the HV coil by itself.

Yes the BTM amplifier box is exclusively made for FI since you have a supercharger but you can run any MSD amplifier box with that coil. I prefer digital instead for the precision of delivery and increased flexibility on firing sequence.

Yes you can run the BTM with the HV coil.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike I guess I should of asked about the digital boxes from MSD, but I was also working with a limited price range (not knowing the price of a digital box). He said I would not have to worry about detonation or misfires EVER with this new setup.

Off thread Mike he showed me a picture of his Type-R's dynograph and let me say wow! His torque was as flat as my computer desk rediculous making torque I think too 140 then leveling off all the way to redline (I think). If I remember I will try to get a picture of it and post it up here if he will let me.

Also back on topic. He says to wait until it gets warmer outside to dyno tune my new setup. Is it true that outside temperature can effect the outcome of a dyno, and how well an engine can run after being dynotuned? Maybe I worded that wrong.

I will let everybody know how the LEVEL TEN tranny runs as soon as I get it back.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and mike that guy's setup is sick would you happen to have a dyno of where the powerband is at? If you do that it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I hate my BTM!... i havent been able to make it stop trippin out my tach in my car... everytime i start to open her up the tach goes bananas.. and it only started when i changed out my SCi ignition for this damn BTM... So good luck with yours..

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you explain your problem with your BTM? And what kind of setup did you have? Also what do you mean by "Trippin out my Tach?" Thanks I would really like to know if this is going to rain on my parade. I trust my mechanic he's been working on honda's and acura's for a long time now. Along with a winning racing record back in '99. I know that has nothing to do with this just vouching for more experience he has. He has never led me the wrong way with my setup's. Thanks and let me know.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I guess I'm going to be looking out for a fried distributor after a while. What makes this happen besides the extra spark delivery? Or is this it? And would upgrading to a better distributor help? Thanks and let me know.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ooooohhhh I see well I already upgraded to their modified distributor cap. Are we talking about the same thing here MD. Let me know.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
How can you run boost and not have that!

BTW, the MSD is no longer on the car, thanks to the AEM EMS.

Anyhow, you should be fine with just the BTM with your setup. Assuming you wired everything up right, you shouldn't run into problems. At least neouser and I haven't.

But I can tell you that the soft rev-limiter is worthless. That was kinda what was messing up my tach as some may have mentioned. So I just disabled it.

Believe it or not, you can just run the BTM feature by itself if you already have another form of ignition upgrade.

·
Registered
527 Posts
chrgd_ls_vtec on Mar/23/04 said:
Can you explain your problem with your BTM? And what kind of setup did you have? Also what do you mean by "Trippin out my Tach?" Thanks I would really like to know if this is going to rain on my parade. I trust my mechanic he's been working on honda's and acura's for a long time now. Along with a winning racing record back in '99. I know that has nothing to do with this just vouching for more experience he has. He has never led me the wrong way with my setup's. Thanks and let me know.
I use to think the same thing... how can i run boost and not this BTM.. i saw it thought it was perfect and bought it. Now im getting rid of it. My setup... MSD BTM with a Accel power coil and an MSD cap... I too have been racing a long time (95) I have been building and tuning cars since i have been driving. My setup is in my signature since you asked. Tripping my tach out... well its fine under normal driving which i expected... since itsn ot under boost.. but when i get on it some.. and i run the tach toward the 5+ mark it begins to bounce all over the place. Ive called through MSD tech line (great service) to see if this was a common fix and well the things they told me to do i already went through... so im giving up and getting another unit... back to the ol faithful. I hope this info doesnt rain on your parade! try it man... it could be a car to car case which im sure it is or they wouldnt sell the product you know what i mean. So good luck and i hope it runs well... as for mine its going to ebay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts