Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I was looking for more power in my SCCA track car. I have a hard time keeping up with the $$$ cars on the straights. My previous setup was a fully stock B18A1 LS on 7psi & E85. I never had a true dyno run to see exactly what it made at the time but it was somewhere in the 225 range. Well I picked up a fully built GSR bottom end for very cheap with 10:1 compression. Being on a budget I slapped my LS head on with a blox gasket and ARP studs and bolted everything else back on. I added a 3 port boost controller for boost by gear and a new KTuned map sensor. When I brought it to my tuner he seemed to be struggling to get it to make any sort of power at first. The most we got was 235whp on 16psi. He said my intercooler was too small so I bought a 600hp intercooler and went back for another tune. This time again the car only made 235whp. It didnt matter what boost we threw at it it would not pass 235. He tried changing the fuel maps, timing, ect and the power would drop every time he changed something. Now he's saying my head wont flow enough air to pass 235hp. I see alot of guys making well over 400hp with a bone stock LS head. What could my issue be? It feels slightly faster on the street when I turn it up but not 400hp fast.

·
Administrator
3,744 Posts
You haven't stated anything about the setup.

What size turbo?
What manifold?
What wastegate?
What size exhaust?

Is there anything else "not stock" with the motor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You haven't stated anything about the setup.

What size turbo?
What manifold?
What wastegate?
What size exhaust?

Is there anything else "not stock" with the motor?
T3/T4 50mm Journal Bearing Turbo
Cheap Cast Log Manifold
38mm Wastegate Open Dump
3" Bumper Exit Exhaust
Stock LS Head
10:1 Forged Pistons
Skunk 2 Rods
ACL Bearings
GE Block Guard
All ARP Hardware
Blox Head Gasket
235whp 16psi on E85

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
New tuner. I doubt that your intercooler was restricting airflow, and since you are using E85, it was probably cooling the air good enough. I'm going to agree that you were probably running out of fuel. You make no mention of your fuel pump or injectors. To run an 80% duty cycle in a turbocharged E85 4 cylinder engine making 400 hp, you need 1250 cc injectors. Ask your tuner what was your AFR. What was your fuel pressure?
An aftermarket N/A cam wouldn't be ideal, but it's not going to limit you to 235 hp. A stock cam would be just fine.

·
Registered
2001 Integra Type R
25 Posts
Okay, we still don't know what size injectors you are running? Don't know specifications on turbo besides t3/t4. Also, Fuel pressure, volume, duty cycle? I personally didn't know you could run a gsr block with ls head. Besides de-stoking the engine and adding oil squirters with better balance. Now, with that being said... the pistons in the block are those 10:1 with gsr head? If so that means with your ls head you have lowered it to 9.4~:1 which is even lower. Also, was the block built to spec with turbocharger ring gaps or supercharger ring gaps or NA ring gaps? This all matters if the pistons and rings are closing properly once to temp of running hard (all different heat temps.) I highly doubt this is the problem, but you could do a compression check and leak down check just to make sure. So far all the guys that have commented on here have had valid points as well.
Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, we still don't know what size injectors you are running? Don't know specifications on turbo besides t3/t4. Also, Fuel pressure, volume, duty cycle? I personally didn't know you could run a gsr block with ls head. Besides de-stoking the engine and adding oil squirters with better balance. Now, with that being said... the pistons in the block are those 10:1 with gsr head? If so that means with your ls head you have lowered it to 9.4~:1 which is even lower. Also, was the block built to spec with turbocharger ring gaps or supercharger ring gaps or NA ring gaps? This all matters if the pistons and rings are closing properly once to temp of running hard (all different heat temps.) I highly doubt this is the problem, but you could do a compression check and leak down check just to make sure. So far all the guys that have commented on here have had valid points as well.
Good luck!
Sorry for the late response! The injectors are Grams 1000cc and my fuel pump is an Kemso 340lph. Not sure of fuel pressure but I was told I still have plenty of fuel left for more power. Im not 100% sure about the rings. I spoke with a very popular tuner in my area that alot of people recommended to me and he said he had many mild LS builds make 400whp and to him it sounds like my tuner is being very conservative on the timing curve. He said if I bring it to him he can almost guarantee 350+. Seems like the #1 answer i've gotten out of everyone I talked to said it's my tuner. I have no knowledge of his background or where he even learned how to tune so maybe this is the issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New tuner. I doubt that your intercooler was restricting airflow, and since you are using E85, it was probably cooling the air good enough. I'm going to agree that you were probably running out of fuel. You make no mention of your fuel pump or injectors. To run an 80% duty cycle in a turbocharged E85 4 cylinder engine making 400 hp, you need 1250 cc injectors. Ask your tuner what was your AFR. What was your fuel pressure?
An aftermarket N/A cam wouldn't be ideal, but it's not going to limit you to 235 hp. A stock cam would be just fine.
Sorry for the late response! I currently have Grams 1000cc injectors and a 340lph fuel pump. My AFR at WOT is around 11.5. I am unsure of fuel pressure but I was told I have plenty of fuel system left. A lot of people are saying it's the tuner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That seems to be the answer lol! Injectors are Grams 1000cc.
You should read into tuning to understand what’s going on and become better informed when someone else is working on your car. There is a load of free information out there. HRtuning and HAmototsports is an excellent resource to start learning. Google beesandgoats on G2IC for a very basic breakdown on boosted theories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts