Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken my car to the shop to get the last of the engine mods dobe to my gsr turbo. My question is: I'm running 15psi with all built internals and an upgraded fuel pump and 440cc injectors, and my mechanic said that I don't need hondata?!! I asked him if he was sure and he said all I need is obd1 and chip with apex v-tec. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
You don't NEED it technically as the car will be able to run and perform without it. But if you are running boost levels that high I would definitely get the Hondata for full engine tuning.

The Apexi V-AFC is too limited and cannot correctly handle 440cc injectors. I've heard from some big Honda tuners that the largest injectors the V-AFC is useful for is 310cc. The full tuning capabilities of something like the Hondata would definitely be a must if your setup is to have a long and happy life. You should also make much more power with a fully tuned setup.

Your mechanic most likely said you don't need a Hondata because he simply doesn't have the capabilities to tune them. You would have to go to a shop that can do Hondata, which sounds like it's not going to be him.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I aggree 100% with SurferX ! A stand alone EMS/FMS system is ideal for that type of setup ! It will work without a Hondata, AEM etc. But...The Apex-i V-AFC will be limited on your setup.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If you are willing to drive north a little, Import Builders is in Fullerton. Jeff definitely can kick ass with a Hondata. I'd come chill to watch the tuning session too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DO you have the number to this place? I think fullerton is about 45 min away from me. Sounds like a good idea one of these upcoming weekends.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I have to disagree.We in Michigan have been able to go around Hondata/AEM stage of dependency. With the fact that we don't have to worry about emissions testing or even catalytic converters, Several of us have used V-AFC with injectors over 440cc for full tuning. It's not as detailed as a Hondata or AEM, but for street purposes it works fine, and is very technologically advanced for such a small device!!. Just make sure that your fuel is set WAY to the negative, and go from there if your injectors are over 440cc.

IF you must go stand alone, My suggestion would be a EFI stand alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts