Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
A friend of mine is tossing his old 88 Mazda 626 Turbo out and we thought it would be a great idea to try to install the turbo on my 91 Integra. It'll be ghetto to the max, the car is bone stock, unless you consider cheap blue bulbs an upgrade :). Right now we have all the parts from the Mazda, and after talking to a mechanic, he said it's do-able, but very ghetto, which I agree. He also mentioned that there are several taps on the engine block which can be taken off and an oil line run from there to the turbo and back for lubrication/cooling. Is this true? And if it is, where are those taps that he speaks of? Or is there a better/easier way of running pressurized oil to the turbine?
Also, for the ECU...it's bone stock, and it'll likely remain that way. Would it work to remove the MAP sensor from the intake manifold and replace it somewhere under the hood, where it'll pick up 1 atm of pressure, but no more? This would clear trouble codes for the computer, but also not really solve the problem of fuel delivery...
Although I couldn't find any specific data on the charger itself, some dealer mentioned it may be a Mitsubishi-made unit, and I suspect it runs around 6-8 lbs of boost (it takes the 2.2l Mazda engine up from 120 hp/135 lbs-ft to 145 hp/190 lbs-ft, so it can't be too high pressure).
Any comments, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated because I have no experience with turbos (as you guys probably gathered by the crazy idea :)) but would still like to try to see this work at a minimal (read: zero :)) cost. I don't particularly care if I blow my engine head off or rip out an axle, the car is destined for the scrap yard very soon anyhow and this'll be a great learning opportunity.

Alex

PS: The engine has 305K on it, eats some oil unless synthetic, which means that compression must've dropped as well with age and mileage.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
305k and losing oil and you're going to cram boost in there. You're a brave man. It's doable, you might need to buy somethings, like a missing link, to fool the map sensor, and a few other miscellaneous parts like a manifold and downpipe. Junkyard turbos kick a$$.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
sounds like you're trying to kill the car to get a newer teg

Read up on the FI forums to get ideas for manifold selection , maybe a deal on one or sources to get a custom manifold for that turbo if none exists.

But if you are trying to blow your engine, ignore everything in that forum.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hehe...ilubdonuts, like I said, I need an excuse to plunk cash for a Prelude :).
Hakamoto: what did you mean by a missing link to fool the MAP sensor? can anyone tell me what an effective way that can be done in so I can still use my stock ECU somehow?
and we have the manifold part all figured out...it's the oil feed that I'd need some ingenious tips for and fooling the MAP (preferably without having the computer go into the fail-safe defaults).
ilubdonuts: the Mazda manifold can actually be used in this case...the cylinder holes should be the same spacing apart as those on the integra, just the bolting holes differ (which can easily be drilled into the manifold to match my block). However, I'll double check this with a Honda dealership service department soon.
Can anyone help me out with the ECU/oil feed problems? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
sounds stupid. FI = $$, period. try to cheap-out from the get-go, and it will bite you in the ass.

but anyhow.

you sound like you've got a lot to learn about forced induction, might want to read a lot of our imformative articles.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Unless you can fabricate from raw parts that you just have collecting rust and you've found a way to manage fuel delivery and spark advance without spending money, I'd say you're in for more than you're bargaining for.

·
Registered
439 Posts
plz dont do it unless you are going to do it right. that poor g2, 305K miles and your going to boost it w/ shot piston rings and poor fuel management.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bah, where theres a will there is a way, my buddy took a VW bug engine welded some brackets on a roll cage and then slap a T3 on it. He runs 15 Psi on it, not to mention its a dunebuggy he built by hand, with now engine mods minus the turbo...and its still running..

So I say good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some of you people seem to miss the point of this whole project! What we have is a Mazda that fell to rust, and an Integra that's about to get thrown out....so what's there to lose in trying to learn something on from a teg that's headed to the scrap yard sooner or later anyhow?
Anyways, thanks to the ppl that showed some support for this madness, but if anyone can give me some tips with the issues I mentioned in the previous messages, it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not that I could anyhow, but I couldn't in all good conscience give advice that would lead to the destruction of an Integra.

But, as I like to be helpful, searching for LS/VTEC conversion kits might have some useful information on how to get to some pressurized oil (i.e. sandwich plate between oil filter and block, etc.)

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts