Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so today I got another modified exhaust ticket... its been about a year and a half since my last one. I just paid the fine on my last one and never got it checked. This time though I am going to have my exhaust checked to see how loud it is. I am going to document everything I go through so hopefully any of you who get this ticket can fight it and get it waived.

So first thing I did when I got home was call 1-800-622-7733 which connects you to a central place for the state referee. Just tell them you got a modified exhaust ticket and you would like to schedule an appointment to have your exhaust noise level checked. They will then ask you the ticket number to veryify it is a fixit ticket. once they have done that they will ask you various information about cars registration, plate #, etc. After that they will then name a couple of referee stations that are near you and ask you which one. They will then tell you the soonest date you can have your car tested. For me mine is February 17th @ 2:10 PM.

After the 17th I will be sure to update this post and let you guys know how things are going. If any of you have gone through this then I would gladly like your input so we can help others out as well.

Results

Ok so I went to the referee today for the exhaust ticket I received last week.There were 2 old guys there and two younger guys there. Well the guy writes down the VIN # and everything and asks me if its a GSR... so I said no its an LS. They pull my car forward to the spot where they test it and then pop my hood to check the engine.Well they were a bit surprised to see the DOHC VTEC badging. one of the younger guys points out the block is a LS block. one of the older guys kinda starts freaking out saying... "oh we cant test this"... blah blah blah. one of the younger guys was like... oh its ok to test... we are just testing his exhaust level anyways... and its just another Integra motor in an Integra... its not like its an Integra motor in a Civic. So then they debate for a little bit and decide to bring it up to a RPM based off of the GSR redline. I had my silencer in so I ended up passing just fine around 87db.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i got a modified exhaust ticket 2 years ago. I went to state ref and Mines pass below 95 decibel. So they gave me sticker and label showing my exhuast is legal. I have greddy sp catback.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just recently got a Modified Exhaust ticket as well.I always have my silencer on and i still got one.The cop was a lady and was being a real ***** saying that "It looks cool sounds cool but its illegal.I was like alright but i have good connection with the cops since i sorta work with them.All Im gonna do is ask one of the cops if i can have his John Hancock on my ticket.:).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hmm they still have fix it tickets. A cop pulled me over few months ago because my old tails had a white signal, not red/yellow. He said my exhaust was fine, tint, etc. Every cop has their own opinions.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
icemanxlb on Feb/08/06 said:
Hmm they still have fix it tickets. A cop pulled me over few months ago because my old tails had a white signal, not red/yellow. He said my exhaust was fine, tint, etc. Every cop has their own opinions.
i agree... this really comes down what's the mode on the cop when he pull you over...

·
Registered
488 Posts
i recently got a excessive noise ticket too, but isn't there's two kind of them? one that u gotta see a referee..and the other one u can just see another officer and show him/her that u'r exhaust isn't loud anymore and he/she will sign off u'r ticket, then just pay the fine....but a guy like jiga who got himself some hook-ups then that's another story...hehehe hey man hook me up too...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
jiga on Feb/08/06 said:
I just recently got a Modified Exhaust ticket as well.I always have my silencer on and i still got one.The cop was a lady and was being a real ***** saying that "It looks cool sounds cool but its illegal.I was like alright but i have good connection with the cops since i sorta work with them.All Im gonna do is ask one of the cops if i can have his John Hancock on my ticket.:).
Depends on the ticket. If you get a ticket for something fix-it like no front license plate any cops can sign that off. Now for a noise ticket you have to go to a ref because they have the tools to test + you need that paper saying if its a pass/fail to send in. A cop can't sign off these tickets.

·
Registered
488 Posts
r u sure co'z the cop who gave me the ticket told me that fix it then find another cop who can sign it off for me then there u go done deal...i don't have to see the REF....as long as a POPO sign it off....

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
gunner_240b on Feb/08/06 said:
r u sure co'z the cop who gave me the ticket told me that fix it then find another cop who can sign it off for me then there u go done deal...i don't have to see the REF....as long as a POPO sign it off....
They don't want you stopping to ask cops while on duty, i think it says that on the ticket somewhere. Anyway you take it to a sherrifs office or CHP and have someone there look at it and sign it off. You can sign off tickets like no front license plate, car being to low, lack of turn signals etc...stuff that is visible.

For stuff that needs testing you HAVE to go to a referee.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Most exhausts are under 95 dB, which is the limit.l For those of you wondering what happens, you MUST go to the CHP State Ref station where they have the proper testing equipment to check your sound output. Cops can only sign off on tickets that can be confirmed visually, such as: front license plate, tint, busted headlight, etc. Even then you have to pay like $10 as a "processing fee".

The only exhausts that won't pass are some of the "JDM" ones that are directly from japan, and some turbo-back applications also put out a lot of sound. Turbo magazine just did a comparison on like 20 Exhausts for the EVO, most of them passed...barely...at 93-95 dB, but a few of the JDM and higher-end ones broke into 97, 98, i think even one was putting out 105 dB.

If you have GReddy or something like that you should be fine. Even the APEXi N1, which is arguably one of the loudest you can get for our cars, comes in at 95dB i think.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
gunner_240b on Feb/08/06r u said:
They don't want you stopping to ask cops while on duty, i think it says that on the ticket somewhere. Anyway you take it to a sherrifs office or CHP and have someone there look at it and sign it off.

thats what i did for my no licens plate, i went inside to the front desk and the lady went outside and signed it off. then i went home and took it off again.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I got a magnaflow high flow cat and a pretty big resonator with an Apexi N1 Turbo Exhaust... and i have to go in to ref pretty soon, to me it is not loud at all compared to when i had 2.25 straight pipe with turbo N1 on the end... As of rite now my intake is louder than the exhaust... DO YOU THINK ILL PASS?? and another question, does any1 know of anyway they can test or buy a tool to see if there exhaust is under 95 db's?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.