Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My humble advice: don't read too many of these misshift threads. Before I found TI, I was reading all about the RSX-Type S. After spending 2 weeks reading about misshifts, what did I suddenly start to do?????? This is after many years of manual transmission driving with no misshifts. (The subconscious can play funny tricks on you.) After that, no more reading all the gory details.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
That poor engine...I've haven't mis shifted yet in my teg and I've only been driving a stick for 6 months...*knock on wood*

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I find nothing particularly tricky about the 6-speed transmission in my Type-S. The gears are exactly where they should be, and I've never had a concern about missing a shift. I suppose that 30 years of experience driving cars with manual transmissions has a lot to do with it.

I've never heard of someone with several years of experience with a stick blowing up a Type-S. It's always a combination of inexperience and trying to race someone. I believe that the majority of mis-shifts are not while shifting up throught the gears, but from trying to downshift from 6th to 4th in order to quickly accelerate while cruising above highway speeds.

See the boy racer cruising at 85 MPH in his new Type-S when another boy racer pulls up beside him. He quickly downshifts into 4th gear to hit the power band but instead jams it into 2nd and into the dead band. Bye bye engine.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you're right Knavekid. Alot has to do with inexperience. I've misshifted a couple of times but It was because of my "new' teg with a 5 speed. I was used to driving a 5 speed Nissan Sentra previously.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
lenguaso on Nov/07/02 said:
you're right Knavekid. Alot hads to do with inexperience. I've misshifted a couple of times but It was because of my "new' teg with a 5 speed. I was used to driving a 5 speed Nissan Sentra previously.
lol Ditto, for me. I went from a Nissan Sentra to the teg. I'm sure the "feel" is different, but I can't even remember now how the Sentra was to shift.

Edit: I think the throws were longer in the Sentra.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I shifted to 2nd going 75 but the second I started to let up my clutch I knew something was wrong and just by reflex pushed the clutch back in...It was just an automatic reflex and I've only driven stick for 13 months

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
on that thread, one of the users said something about being able to shift into reverse instead of 5th. Now I know Acura has a lockout feature, it's on my 2001 GSR and it would be stupid not to carry it over onto the RSX esp. with a 6-speed. But the user said a salesman told him how someone did it and blew up the tranny and engine. I think he was trying to scare him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts