Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Different Brand Full

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR at bottom.

I have spent the last two hours giving myself a headache looking at the most contradicting
comments, posts, and replies on this topic. I'm having a weird idle surge/die problem with my DB8,
and I was going to replace the thermo first, because my gauge never moves, making me think
it is either stuck open, or a fuse blown.

I think my oem stock rad has started leaking somewhere at the top,
and since replacing the thermo involves having to fill with more coolant or even a flush,
I was going to go ahead and replace the rad while doing it.

My car is not boosted right now, but I plan on boosting in the near future, and my goal is 400WHP.
Which makes me wonder if a half rad can support this, even the triple core Mishimoto.
Also, not sure what I would have to do fan wise, like needing both pull and push, and how that would fit.
In this post, nearly every single reply goes against the last 馃槱

I don't really care about keeping A/C so that is a lot less heat to deal with though, correct?
I would keep it if it did not really matter but my windows work so who really needs A/C :p

It is nearly a 50/50 on people saying half rad vs saying "build around the full" basically.
I think if most people had a choice they would go full rad and tight fit. AFAIK I will need a full
Ramhorn exhaust for my power goal, plus I would like one anyway for the looks haha.

I have seen pics of a ram with full rad, but it is an insanely tight fit and I don't know if having
to make things fit so tightly would limit me on power gains when it comes to turbo size etc.
But, I still have some to learn about turbos, so that's why I ask if this would effect much.
I am sure it would at least limit something like the A/R because of size limits in tightness.

TL;DR I am NA right now, plan on going turbo soon, goal is 400WHP, which basically requires a ramhorn.
Need to replace Radiator now, wondering which size I need of Mishitmoto to be ready.

Administrator
I'm currently running a Mishimoto triple-core half-rad, and at 770whp. You'll be find in the cooling aspect. Anything boosted with a full size radiator is extremely tight, even with a slim fan (you won't be able to utilize your stock fans as the shroud is too bulky).

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I'm currently running a Mishimoto triple-core half-rad, and at 770whp. You'll be find in the cooling aspect. Anything boosted with a full size radiator is extremely tight, even with a slim fan (you won't be able to utilize your stock fans as the shroud is too bulky).
Thanks for the response, I've seen so many mixed remarks and stories of so many different people I don't know what to do anymore lol
Guess I'll just go with the Triple Half Rad, also, what kind of fan setup are you running? Push+Pull?
I've also been pushed towards SPAL fans rather than getting the Mishi one as well. A 12" with the shroud. Your thoughts on that?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
With a full radiator you will use 2 fans correct? That would be a tight fit. I鈥檓 running a Mishimoto half radiator at 420. Welded some new brackets and shifted the radiator over a bit with a fan.
Correct, it would go fully from one side of the bay to the other, like stock, and you have to run two fans. Most people seem to say even with Slim Fans it is either extremely tight fit with certain products, or simply will not work at all.

Registered
Correct, it would go fully from one side of the bay to the other, like stock, and you have to run two fans. Most people seem to say even with Slim Fans it is either extremely tight fit with certain products, or simply will not work at all.
I hear that. I even had a shroud combo for mines. Still didn鈥檛 fit. I went with a fan in front and rear for push pull. Here you can see my setup.

Administrator
Thanks for the response, I've seen so many mixed remarks and stories of so many different people I don't know what to do anymore lol
Guess I'll just go with the Triple Half Rad, also, what kind of fan setup are you running? Push+Pull?
I've also been pushed towards SPAL fans rather than getting the Mishi one as well. A 12" with the shroud. Your thoughts on that?
I had to run a push only configuration. I had absolutely no room for a fan in the engine bay itself

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I hear that. I even had a shroud combo for mines. Still didn鈥檛 fit. I went with a fan in front and rear for push pull. Here you can see my setup.
View attachment 105748
Mounting the fans without a shroud and just attaching it directly to the rad is such a wild concept for me lmao. Does that not cause damage, having it rub up against it like that? And that鈥檚 a 13鈥 on yours correct?

I had to run a push only configuration. I had absolutely no room for a fan in the engine bay itself
Damn, that鈥檚 kind of crazy. I think I may end up going for a Koyo right now instead of a Mishi. I鈥檝e seen a lot of stories about Koyo leaking more than Mishi, but people really seem to talk up Koyo more as quality as well. So we鈥檒l see what happens. Koyo Half Rad with a SPAL 13鈥 it is.

Administrator
Mounting the fans without a shroud and just attaching it directly to the rad is such a wild concept for me lmao. Does that not cause damage, having it rub up against it like that? And that鈥檚 a 13鈥 on yours correct?

Damn, that鈥檚 kind of crazy. I think I may end up going for a Koyo right now instead of a Mishi. I鈥檝e seen a lot of stories about Koyo leaking more than Mishi, but people really seem to talk up Koyo more as quality as well. So we鈥檒l see what happens. Koyo Half Rad with a SPAL 13鈥 it is.

Ehhh, I would challenge that statement. There's a reason why Koyo only gives an 18-mo warranty vs. Mishimoto's Lifetime warranty on their radiators. I actually had to replace my specific radiator under warranty. It was an online claim filed from their website, a few photos, and a new radiator sent without sending back the defective unit. In addition, their customer service was some of the best that I've received, which gained them a positive review from me on Google.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Ehhh, I would challenge that statement. There's a reason why Koyo only gives an 18-mo warranty vs. Mishimoto's Lifetime warranty on their radiators. I actually had to replace my specific radiator under warranty. It was an online claim filed from their website, a few photos, and a new radiator sent without sending back the defective unit. In addition, their customer service was some of the best that I've received, which gained them a positive review from me on Google.
Well, you ended up changing my mind again haha, I ended up purchasing the X-Line Mishi and the SPAL 13" fan, no shroud. Should be here Friday/Monday.

Mounting the fans was not bad. The zip mounts go through the fins and your not damaging anything. Like I said I have one in the front and 1 in the rear. Both fans kick in and sounds great. It鈥檚 been on for over 8 years and still no problem.
Let us know what you decide.
Thank you for your input as well, ended up going with what I stated above. Does the fan not wiggle around on the rad and slowly damage the fins?

On another note, for running a half rad, you need to weld the old brackets into new spots for the half rad, correct? I've got a friend who said he could weld them for me in his shop if I do need to. One thing I am concerned about is how the wiring for the fan will go. On the SPAL site, it says the 1777cfm 13" fan runs at 40amps, and I've read that the stock wiring can't handle that over time, and that people have to do a custom wiring setup for it. I've tried to do a quick google of how to do it, and haven't found any solid info so far.

Registered
I just checked my fans and they are still snugged. No wiggle.
I wired mines up to the stock radiator harness. Both are tapped into it. No issues.
Yea I had to remove one bracket and moved it over to be welded in order to fit.
You should be good to go.
If you wanted to keep a full you can look into tucked radiators.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
The SPAL 13" fan didn't come with any mounting hardware, or even the brackets, so now waiting on those.
I haven't been able to get anyone to weld the second bottom bracket for the rad yet, so it's sitting in only one bracket, then ziptied in three other spots.
It's super secure though lol. I also had to ziptie the overflow container closer to the rad since it wasn't able to reach, probably going to go buy some kind of universal rad overflow lines and cut it to what I need it so at least that part doesn't have to be. It's being stretched even as it is.

I did go ahead and buy the proper SPAL wiring kit and stuff for this fan, I have no interest in taking the risk of frying the stock wiring lol, not when it's rated for up to 40amps.

I went with Zerex Blue for the coolant. Even driving with no fan, this radiator is absolutely phenomenal! It took quite a while for the thermo to even open, I'd pull over every five to ten minutes to feel the bottom hose, and it took about 25 minutes of normal driving for it to even begin getting warm. Went on a two hour drive, one hour there, stopped, one hour back, and not a single dot above the line did the temp gauge go above normal. Even when I was cruising at 5K RPM driving 100 馃榾. Didn't do that too long lol

Administrator
Those bottom radiator mounts:

I remember cutting them off cleanly, then bolting them to the bottom of the radiator support. The held securely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts