Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, when i bought my car , there are pink spots on the car.. im guessings its caused from oixidization? not too sure.. anyway to restore it back to milano red other then getting a new paint job.. it just looks horrible haven the car look discolored

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Check out the detailing section of the articles. Basically you will have to clean it down and buff it back up with your choice of products.

only thing is, that when it rains or you wash the car its gonna appear pink again. I would start saving for a paint job.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Yeah you can get it to look red but will it stay that way? No After rain/washing it goes back to pink and you have to polish/resore/wax the car again.

The only thing that can fix faded paint permanantly is paint. If a car is oxidized then you can remove that and show the true color.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Louse76 on Feb/09/04 said:
Quote: vdog0531 on Jan/31/04yeah i agree with chris.. if its pink already... its pretty much going to stay that way. Not true at all. My car was pretty much milano pink, but before I got it painted, we made that paint look damn red.
Care to share how you made the paint look red instead of pink?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
vdog0531 on Feb/09/04 said:
well Louse76 saying you got it to look "pretty damn red" without saying how is not helping at all but hey.. thanks for your great input
Wow, way to be an ass....

Like Chris linked you, check out our articles, it explains everything. I'm far from a detailing buff like Ross or Anthony but I guarantee you that if you did some searches, you'd find the info you need.

I hope I fulfilled your demand for great input in my post.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The best thing you could probably do (apart from a repaint) is to bring it to a detail shop and have the buff it with a rotary buffer. You COULD do it yourself if you bought a rotary (or happen to have one) but it's REAL easy to mess up and burn through your clear coat too much. Then, it'll be worse then when it started.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Wow, way to be an ass....

Like Chris linked you, check out our articles, it explains everything. I'm far from a detailing buff like Ross or Anthony but I guarantee you that if you did some searches, you'd find the info you need.

I hope I fulfilled your demand for great input in my post.

yeah do what JustinKlemgold said.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
I had a long thread with pics made when I did it, but I'll recap:

Dawn wash
Claybar
3M fine cut compound w/Makita rotary
3M swirl mark remover by hand
Klasse AIO
Klasse SG

Click for album with before and after pics

It certainly didn't wash off. It did fade back to pink eventually, but I wasn't waxing it regularly like I should have been. It is my assumption that it would stay looking good if you continued to keep it washed and waxed/sealed.

Jngrbrdman has had awesome results with just AIO on oxidation, done with a PC I believe, but I'm sure it can be done by hand.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Oxidation is like plaque on your teeth. It will make your teeth an ugly yellow and mess up the smooth finish. If you brush them or have them cleaned at the dentist then you can remove it and restore your teeth to whiteness. Oxidation can be removed. I've done it by hand and I've done it by PC. Its not too difficult. If you remove it then its not going to come back the first time it rains. It takes months for oxidation to build up on a surface.

The problem is that if you let plaque stay on your teeth long enough then it will damage the enamel on the surface. That damage isn't going to be fixed by a mere cleaning. If you have let oxidation damage the clear coat then you are hosed. Now, I'm not a paint expert, but someone said that 94 tegs have single stage paint. I don't know what happens on single stage paint that looks like clear coat failure, but its the same problem. You may never get that thing looking brand new again because the oxidation has caused damage that cannot be fixed. Also, red fades faster than any other color in the spectrum. It also oxidizes faster than any other color. Its just the way red is. Its a great looking color when its in shape, but you have to stay on top of it or it will go to pieces.

That is oxidation being removed. Its not going to come back when it rains. That truck hasn't been polished or waxed since I cleaned it back in May and it still looks good. It obviously needs to be cared for much better than he is caring for it, but it looked like a brand new truck when I got done with it. There was a lot of damage that isn't going to be repaired by simply cleaning off the oxidation, though. That truck basically needs to be repainted eventually.

Now, if you clean off the oxidation and then wax the car and eventually the pink comes back then its something wrong with the paint and those areas weren't properly protected against UV fading. The oils in the waxes may mask damage like that, but they will come back. When the damage is so uniform over the entire vehicle like this truck was, then you probably won't notice it. Oxidation doesn't happen in one or two spots on the car. Clear coat failure does that and whatever else single stage paint does. Does plaque only affect one tooth in your mouth or does it get all of them?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Good Post Anthony.

For the record, Milano Red (R-81) is a 3-stage paint, no matter what. 3-stages paints cost more than 2-stage paints to repaint for the obvious reason of 1 more stage of painting.

I have also had good luck with using AIO to remove oxidation. The thing you have to remember though is you have to use pressure when applying the AIO in order for it to work properly.

Here I used Meguiar's Scratch-X on the left...on the right is the Milano Pink

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Great info Anthony, to clear one thing up for you my 94 Isle green pearl is a 2 stage paint. I found that out on my $4,460 estimate the other day.lol

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
Could it be that some colors are single stage? For the GSR it said 2 on the repair order.

I know you know what your talking about and im sure Autopia knows just as well. I don't even understand 1 or 2 stage paint.lol So I dunno what the difference is.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Yeah, me neither. To me paint is paint. If its not clear coat failure then its some kind of paint failure. Scott said that 95 Integras in red (other than metallic red) were single stage paint. I don't know where he gets his info from, but that doesn't really matter. I don't have any grounds to argue on. All I know is that red is a beast and it oxidizes quickly. Its just the nature of red to do that. Go figure...

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I agree with the red fading and oxidizing. Black is also a bad one. My 94 GSR has some of the clear coat failure on the roof, but not all that bad.

He may be correct because I really don't see newer tegs having that problem. The newest teg I have seen with bad paint was a black 96 LS.

That leads me to believe that only certain colors suck.

Just my guess.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
You know what I just realized? A 1994 teg is 10 years old now. No wonder its having paint problems. lol 1994 doesn't seem that long ago for me. I graduated in 94. For a 10 year old paint job to be showing signs of clear coat failure or heavy oxidation isn't surprising at all. That truck is a 92 I think. If you don't protect the paint with something like Klasse that has UV protection, then you are setting yourself up for paint problems in 10 years no matter how new your car is now. I'm sure in another 3 or 4 years we'll be seeing 96 Integras with clear coat failure and oxidation problems. Its just a matter of time.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yeah Anthony. I am positive R-81 Milano Red is a 3-Stage...I have talked to a few different body shops about it.

2 Stage means they prime, then paint the color, then clear. The 1st stage is the color and clear is the 2nd (2 stages).

3 Stage means they prime, paint a color that is not the same as the one your car is going to be, then they paint your top coat, then they clear. There are 2 color stages + 1 clearcoat stage = 3

I believe for Milano Red, it was something wacky, like yellow first, then red. What sets 3 stages apart is the depth and beauty they achieve once done...probably why many people love the Milano Red. 3 stages can also produce colors that are unmatchable...

Think about it... Paint it orange first, then burgundy... Just a thought.

As far as how long you have to wait between coats, I forget. I believe it is a very short time...Like under an hour, to achieve the full effect. Don't quote me on that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts