Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 Integra GSR, -12cc Wiseco pistons (8.5:1 compression) on only 12psi.

I got my block line honed, bored to 81.50mm, torque plate honed, decked, we're talking the works, everything BUT new sleeves because my machine shop was giving me a great deal.But I get the engine back and I find what almost looks to be a crack. I took it back and he claims it's just a scratch, I took it to a second machine shop which magnafluxed it and looked at it, he said it was more or less just a scratch, but is it possible that this could be a microcrack and the magnaflux wouldn't pick up on it? It's incredibly hard to see with the naked eye, plus the fact he didn't pressure test it. I JUST had all this stuff done to my block, I swear it looks like a crack, I can't really afford a resleeve but it's better than buying a new engine (If the sleeve cracks and falls into the cylinder, destorying the piston and head).

So tell me, what are your opinions after knowing what I just said. Should I be worried like I am or will I be fine? What I'm concerned about is just to the left of that larger line.

·
Registered
2000 GS-R
725 Posts
I'm not much of an expert on it, but to test if it is only a scratch, could you have them polish/hone it out? If it goes away, it was just a scratch. If it stays, you just saved the rest of your engine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well problem is, on stock sleeves, 81.50 is the MAX you wanna go, and I've already had them go .0005 over that. As of now, I can't think of anything that can really be done seeing as piston to cylinder wall clearance is .0035 which is exactly where I need/want it.

What mostly scares me though is the guy said the magnaflux wont work as well on an aluminum block and it's possible that it might not show up. A pressure test he said would be more effective but he recommended against it for some reason. I'm thinking he didn't want to bring pressure up on it and find out it is a crack and just destroy the rest of the sleeve.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I donno, I really want to get the sleeves replaced because of this, but at the same time, it's my daily driver, not my race car. I'm honestly tempted to put the engine together, sell it and buy another stock B18C1 and just run it. But once again, that would be alot of money out of my pocket because I wont get near as much as I built it for.

I'm just more or less asking what you guys would do. Two shops telling me it's a scratch, trust em?

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
KooK on Feb/14/06 said:
95 Integra GSR, -12cc Wiseco pistons (8.5:1 compression) on only 12psi.

I got my block line honed, bored to 81.50mm, torque plate honed, decked, we're talking the works, everything BUT new sleeves because my machine shop was giving me a great deal.But I get the engine back and I find what almost looks to be a crack. I took it back and he claims it's just a scratch, I took it to a second machine shop which magnafluxed it and looked at it, he said it was more or less just a scratch, but is it possible that this could be a microcrack and the magnaflux wouldn't pick up on it? It's incredibly hard to see with the naked eye, plus the fact he didn't pressure test it. I JUST had all this stuff done to my block, I swear it looks like a crack, I can't really afford a resleeve but it's better than buying a new engine (If the sleeve cracks and falls into the cylinder, destorying the piston and head).

So tell me, what are your opinions after knowing what I just said. Should I be worried like I am or will I be fine? What I'm concerned about is just to the left of that larger line.

a microcrack that a magnaflux wont pick up? the sleeves are iron, the magnaflux works fine.

your making a fuss over nothing man, thats no crack

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
^^^^ Correct. I'd be more pissed off that they didn't hone the cylinders after the boring....

I hope you are not going to install pistons and rings in with the cylinder looking like that!?!?!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tepid1 on Feb/14/06 said:
^^^^ Correct. I'd be more pissed off that they didn't hone the cylinders after the boring....

I hope you are not going to install pistons and rings in with the cylinder looking like that!?!?!
Believe it or not, that is after it was honed, I had the Camera setup in a specific way so it could see what I wanted to show you, in turn, it makes everything look extremely rough.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think Tepid1 might be commenting on the pattern of the hone... if it is truly honed it seems as if there is no hone at all since it's the same pattern as the bore. A true hone should be 60* crosshatches according to the Helms. A horizontal hone like that won't play nice with your rings.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
aalb1 on Feb/14/06 said:
I think Tepid1 might be commenting on the pattern of the hone... if it is truly honed it seems as if there is no hone at all since it's the same pattern as the bore. A true hone should be 60* crosshatches according to the Helms. A horizontal hone like that won't play nice with your rings.
Essentially that is what I was trying to say.... thaks Alex.

The rings will not seat nicely. Let me try to find a pic of what it shouls look like.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
What it should look like

This is from my 57k mile GSR motor when I tore it apart last week. If done right you will see that the cross hatch will/should last and be there for a long time. So it is very important to have that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hmmm, well maybe but if you follow the line up to the top of the sleeve it continues on the top of the sleeve edge also.. all the way back to the outside edge on top...

It goes up the side and over the top - on top in a Z pattern... looks like it goes through to the outside of the sleeve...

·
Registered
354 Posts
MeltMan on Feb/14/06 said:
Quote: tepid1 on Feb/14/06Essentially that is what I was trying to say.... thaks Alex.
The rings will not seat nicely. Let me try to find a pic of what it shouls look like.

I think the camera flash is playing with your guys heads on this one.
I agree. That's just the flash and a good hi-res digital picture picking up too much detail.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
yep that pic...you can see the crosshatch on the far right of the pic if you look closely

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.