Team Integra Forums banner

Memorial Dragon run for Morning Z

4K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  tony4311 
#1 ·
There's been enough interest this year in a memorial trip to the Dragon in honor of Steve that we'll be able to have a group again this year. Last year there was only 6 of us and it kind of felt like the end of the TI dragon runs as every year there has been fewer and fewer of us. It seems even in his passing Steve is able to bring people together. In years past we've been able to get cabins set aside a year ahead of time but we didn't have enough to reach the minimum last year. I've spoke with the regular person at Fontana and this year it'll have to be the weekend of Friday the 21st in order to get cabins instead of our normal last weekend of July. We likely won't be able to be in cabins grouped together like normal and we'll have to use lodge rooms as well. How many people would be interested in a cabin/lodge rooms and what dates? We often would get there Wednesday (19th) or Thursday(20th) and leave Sunday but it doesn't have to be that whole time. Not sure how many cabins will be available but I told her I'd see what interest we have this weekend then call her back Monday to lock things down. We're not sure everyone that wants a cabin will be able to get one but there should be enough lodge rooms to cover the rest.

I think whatever we decide for the memorial would be best on Saturday. Making it easiest for everybody that may want to join to get there even if they can't stay long term at the hotel. I'm also going to see if we can get the large firepit reserved for Friday night. Beyond that we've played it a lot by ear for a while now. 2 things we've done every year for a while now are tubing down the Oconaluftee river and walking around drinking/eating at Bryson city. We've done things like zip lining, pontoon boat rentals, train rides and cave tours in the past as well. Beyond that the days of scheduling and planning large group activities/trips haven't been a thing for a while but we could see about that in this thread for this year. People are welcome to put together their own plans group ideas for drives or other stuff.

See less See more
Reactions: dpaton
#2 · (Edited)
With my limited PTO, I'm probably driving down for the weekend only. Definitely planning on being there for the memorial.
EDIT: Thursday thru Sunday. 3 nights. I can share a cabin.

#12 · (Edited)
Cabins and rooms are open to reserve. Call them up at 800--849-2258 and tell them you're reserving for the Team Integra group pricing.

1 night deposit to reserve.

For the cabins there's 4 available. They are the "Hemlock 2 bedroom". They come with a queen bed in one room and 2 twins in the other. As mentioned this is not planned in advance as usual so i can't say for sure where they'll be. First come first serve for the cabins. They are $149 per night Wednesday and Thursday then $159 Friday and Saturday. I did not think to ask about getting there sooner but I'd expect the price would be the same if you get there earlier in the week. I also can't confirm if the cabin would be open before Wednesday.

Lodge rooms. There are a few options.
Regular rooms. 1 king or 2 queens. $109 Wed/Thur and $119 Fri/Sat.
Poolside cabana rooms. 1 king or 1 queens. $139 Wed/Thur and $149 Fri/Sat

They will hold rooms/pricing for a while but it's not indefinite.

I've reserved the main fire pit for Friday night. In the past we've done group food and beer exchanges. This would be the ideal time to do that as well.

Looking for thoughts and ideas on what we want to do for the actual memorial on Saturday as well. Along with any other group plans/ideas.

#13 ·
My girlfriend and I will be there Tuesday through Sunday at the least. Maybe Monday if I leave early enough. I will likely book a lodge room for Tuesday and am willing to share a cabin Wednesday through Sunday.

#15 ·
I won't know until approximately a month before if I can attend. If any rooms are left at that point I'll book one but I won't book one in advance in case others need them as my family has a cabin about 80 minutes from the Dragon. It's been a while but always enjoy driving the waterfall highway and old bootleggers highway on the way to Deals Gap.

#17 ·
Reminder to call and reserve you cabin or lodge room. If you want to share a cabin post up here to look for people.

We also need thoughts and ideas for any memorial we'd like to do.

#19 ·
Wow... it's been years since I've logged in. Race in Paradise, Steve!

#24 ·
The weekend of July 21st. Some will be there the 19th to the 23rd. If expect some may just come for a couple of days.

Reactions: dfddfd2
#26 ·
4 week warning to get a lodge room or cabin at the discounted rate.

Memorial thoughts. Haven't heard much.

Is there anybody that could design a sticker? Something we could get made to put on the railing at the lookout?

Plans so for.
There's talk about good for those that play on Thursday.

Tubing Friday.

Memorial gathering Saturday morning. Could be as simple as just gathering at the lookout to discuss and remember Steve. Or something more. Followed by being over to Bryson city to drink and wander. Steve always made it a point to go there each year.

#29 ·
Any remaining rooms are held until the 19th. After that they will honor the price of any space is left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.